It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Unexplained diarrhea.....found cause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
    SkipperH
    (male)

SkipperH HB User
    Unexplained diarrhea.....found cause?

I don't want to get too excited yet, however, I have been suffering from unexplained diarrhea for almost 10 years and the only drug that has been able to stop it and keep it under control was cholestrymine. Well, additional symptoms such as depression, aches, pains, balance issues, brain fog, fatigue and all around not feeling like myself for the past few years lead me to the office of an Endocrinologist doctor. Here is the amazing part, I was found to have an under active thyroid and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I was put on the drug Synthroid and after reading about my disorder I felt it was a good time to test the diarrhea problem. I stopped the Cholestrymine when I began the Synthroid and it has been 18 days with NO diarrhea and normal bowels. Could I have been Hypo for the last 10 years without knowing? Keep in mind that I have tried to stop the Cholestrymine numerous times over the years and the result was always diarrhea in a minimum of 3 to 4 days, usually waking up in the middle of the night with stabbing pains in my stomach with diarrhea. I'm writing this in the hopes in might help others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
    Paseo
    (male)

Paseo HB User
    Re: Unexplained diarrhea.....found cause?

I too have unexplained chronic diarrhea and have had it for over 10 years. I had a colonoscopy and the whole nine yards done to determine the cause and nothing was found. So they diagnosed me with IBS and put on amitriptyline to help "slow down" my bowels. It seems to help, but I still have my moments. Also, around the same time this started I was feeling fatigue, low energy, panic attacks, lower libido, depression-like symptoms, sleeping for long periods of time, brain fog, forgetting what I am talking about mid-sentence, etc.

I have been told by doctor's that the symptoms were "the physical manifestations of depression" and put on all sorts different medications. The only one that seemed to work decent was Wellbutrin, but the side effects were too much so I have been off of it for a long time. The amitriptyline is considered an anti-depressant as well, but it is given in a very small dose.

Recently, I took a testosterone test to determine whether or not my levels were low. I did this for two reasons: my dad was diagnosed with low T and my symptoms seem to fit low T. Anyway, I took the test after fasting for 10 hours and did the test around 8:30 am. This is when T levels are at their highest and mine was 291. I am 29 years old.

Closed Thread