It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• abdominal tenderness ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
    Twinkie50
    (female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
    Question abdominal tenderness ???

Hi - I have had IBS for over 25 years. 3 days ago I had a severe episode - severe spasms lower left abdomen, sweating, you all know.....Since then (3 days now) I have really bad tenderness on the left side, up to my hip, across my upper stomach and a bit on the right side. Went to see my doc yesterday thinking I maybe had diverticulitis. I had no fever, but when he pressed my stomach in all the areas mentioned above, it was so painful. He said it was from the IBS - I NEVER had that happen before. It actually feels like my colon is pulled tight - I could not even walk straight up and when I do walk now, with each step, I feel the tenderness/tightness???? I've maybe had a bit of tenderness lower left over the years after a bad spasm attack but nothing like this. He gave me levbid and said it should help. It did stop the bad spasms, but the tenderness is still there. Just two weeks ago I had a pelvic/abdominal U/S - all negative - and having colonoscopy in 2 weeks. He said he has IBS and tenderness in those areas is normal, but its not for me. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - MaryAnn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: abdominal tenderness ???

MaryAnn,

Your pain sounds like that of an infected diverticular-- Diverticulitis.

What did your blood test (CBC) show?

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-21-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
    Twinkie50
    (female)

He didn't do one...I thought for sure it was diverticulitis.....I've been on Levbid now since Thursday evening and I have some relief today. He said he thought it was the IBS, but I've never had such tenderness - He had told me if I got worse to go to the ER, but I do feel some relief today. Still on bland diet - I wonder though????

Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

MaryAnn,
    Levbid is a drug that relaxes long muscles like the tranverse part of the colon. But, I think your Doctor should have tested you for a possible infection. The pain you descibe does not sound like IBS???

I have had many intestinal infections w/o fever and alot of pain. I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed on 3/4/2002 because of chronic divericular bleeding. And, I know what diverticulitis feels like --- but there are varing degrees and we are all different and respond differently.

The very best remedy I have ever found for muscle cramping as well as spasms any where in the body is a homeopathic remedy --- Magnesia Phos-- a low potency like 6x is OK and results happens 35 minutes or so. And it can be repeated as needed.

It is available at most Health Food Stores these days. And I don't leave home w/o a bottle of it.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-21-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
    Twinkie50
    (female)

Well, he did say if I got worse to call or go to ER and I do feel better. I do have 2 friends with severe IBS and they get the tenderness when in a bad spasm. I am having a colonoscopy in 2 weeks, so I will feel better after those results!! I am not too fond of how this Levbid makes me feel either so I may try what you said.

Closed Thread