It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

95% Improvement with VSL3

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #61
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User
Re: 95% Improvement with VSL3

If you can find the drug called Align which is over the counter please try it as it makes a great difference! Follow directions on the box. Also please go online and type in where do I find the book Great Taste, No Pain and I think you will see a difference. She herself has IBS and is a nurse and has seen people with Crohn's helped from it or even cured. I think it is about $55.00 for both books.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #62
cathy1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

I used Align and it worked really well but I switched to VSL3 because Align gave me incredible constipation.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #63
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User

Thanks for telling me as I will watch for it just in case it does happen. Where do you find VSL3? Do you also get horrible stomach aches?

Can you take Imodium? That really helps me.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-23-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Read the Posting Policy.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #64
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User

Thanks as I appreciate it! You can't buy VSL3 in a store? What is VSL3 as I've never heard of it?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #65
cathy1
Senior Veteran
(female)

VSL3 can be bought online and some doctors will prescribe the extra strength. If you go with the extra strength you have to start out very slow as its' really powerful and causes constipation. VSL3 is a probiotic with specific strains in very high amounts for people with Chrons and IBS. If you do an internet search you will see that quite a bit of research has been done on it. Align has one strain of probiotis - Infantis (not sure of the spelling).

A note to all re: constipation. WHITE BREAD, rolls etc that isn't WHOLE WHITE is a HUGE culprit in constipation. I had no idea why I was having so much trouble until a Doctor told me that it's incredibly binding. As soon as I switched to a whole grain white my constipation was relieved dramatically.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #66
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User

When you take VSL3 how many do you take in one day? Or do you just take it when things get bad? I'm on Align and think I'm going off from it and back on my Bentyl.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #67
cathy1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Its best if you have a chronic problem to take this every day. Some people only take it when they have a flare up. Best thing to do is to experiment with it and see how it works the best for you.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #68
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User

Are you able to eat just about anything? I have the book "Great Taste, No Pain" and it works wonders. I have to be very careful what I eat or I pay dearly with terrible stomach aches and then I need pain pills.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #69
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User

You are so right about white bread as I cut that out of my diet and eat wheat bread!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #70
overberg
(male)

overberg HB User

Can someone please tell me why this thread is "Sticky" and what is the 95% improvement based on.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #71
cathy1
Senior Veteran
(female)

I started this post because I've had 95% improvement in my symptoms since using VSL3. It's based on my drastic reduction in IBS symptoms.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #72
lylah
(female)

lylah HB User

Can somebody tell me anything about VSL3 and is it a capsule you take and how many a day? I did read it needs to be refrigerated. I can suggest buying the book called "Great Taste, No Pain" is well worth the money. Just do a search on the book on the internet and you will find it. It's an amazing book to own and have!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #73
Angels9122
(female)

Angels9122 HB User

Cathy 1: Hi! I am new to this board-- your post is what caught my attention. I had started taking VSL#3 about 2 months ago for IBS symptoms. Long story short, my IBS developed after a parasite infection. The VSL has made a HUGE difference in the way I feel. 90% IMPROVEMENT! My question to you is: at some point, don't you have to taper off the probiotic? I find that if I take too much of it, I get "gurgly symptoms". My gastroentorologist agreed that I should be on the VSL with this much improvement, but how long before you should decrease the intake of VSL? At some point there is colonization in the gut area, but when do you shift? A month or two? Did you taper off at all? I read that some people bring it down to 3 times a week as opposed to daily. Can you offer any advice for a newbie? By the way, if it weren't for your post which I found just by chance, I would still be as miserable as I was for over 3 years!!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #74
cathy1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Its great to hear someone has had such great luck with VSL3 just like I have.

I honestly don't know when to stop VSL3 as I have continued to take it. I'm not sure if something like you have, once under control means you can stop. I know that if someone has a chronic problem it may take forever too keep the problem under control.

The only thing you could try is cutting down on the VSL3 and see how you fare.

Best of luck and great news after 3 years of suffering!

Last edited by cathy1; 04-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #75
moboomer
(female)

moboomer HB User

deleted commercial info

I had been dealing with UC somewhat okay. Life changed, some big stresses, stopped taking the VSL and kicked up soda intake. And crashed.
Couldn't eat or drink. Just ran to the bathroom up to 60-80 times a day.

Sick in bed for weeks, Urgent care and big $ with a diagnosis of UC.
And sent me home. I asked about some type of meds to help and finally was given some Rx's. Rx's made me worse.

One week later, my doctor had me admitted to hospital. And a colonoscopy.
A 2nd opinion of UC. Sent home with2 antibiotics Rx's and Asacol.
Rx's made me so sick. Asacol even worse. All the bad side affects that can happen with Asacol happened to me. I stopped the Asacol and the 2 antibiotics that I'd been given.

Mind fog cleared enough to get back on VSL#3DS. I'm taking 2 packets a day now. My husband is retired military and their pharmacy has no problem filling my script.

In one weeks time I've gone from almost dying to actually be able to eat and drink and walk a little ways outdoors. Without the VSL#3DS, I believe I would be dead. Weight loss was extreme. So, too, the dehydration.

I'm eating a lot of watermelon, too, as it is easy to digest and helps keep me hydrated. Am finally able to tolerate drinking water. Before, drinking water would make me feel like throwing up.

Also using a sound machine at night. Listening to waves has helped keep my body relaxed. Relaxation and even meditation appear to be important in getting better. I never would have known about VSL without doing research online. Thanks for having this discussion board.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-27-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: deleted commercial info

Closed Thread