It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Timing of probiotics question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
    IBSForever?
    (female)

IBSForever? HB User
    Timing of probiotics question

Hi Everyone,
    I just bought Primal Defense Probiotics and had a question re timing of taking them. I know taking on an empty stomach is best, but I am wondering-can you take 2 at one time, or do you have to take 1 at a time, spread out during the day?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Timing of probiotics question

I suggest you take this probiotic 1 at a time until you see how you react. Some people get diarrhea with only 1. So , it is best to start off slowly!!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
    IBSForever?
    (female)

IBSForever? HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have another question too-it sayd best taken on an empty stomach, but it seems I am always eating! How important is that rule? Also, how long will it take to see results? I have been taking 2 a day for 3 days now and nothing. I have chronic constipation, and haven't went in about 2 weeks now! Any idea how long until it kicks in (if it does)?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have found that this probiotic (Primal Defense) is not used to treat chronic constipation.

I use it but it is used to help re-establish friendly bacteria in the gastro intestinal tract that has become unbalanced.

Harry

Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
    IBSForever?
    (female)

IBSForever? HB User

Harry,
    Can you recommend one that contipation prone people have success with?
    thanks

Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I take a water soluble fiber twice daily and some oat bran tablets along with my diet to keep me regular. And have done the soluble fiber for 24 years but just started the oat bran in the last year or so.

To have normal BMs - a person needs to take 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily. And, it needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fibers. Soluble fiber absorbs fluids and bulks up the stool and insoluble fiber causes intestinal muscle contractions (peristalsis) that moves digested food out.

All fruits and all veggies including greens are almost entirely insoluble fiber, along with the outer part of grains(bran) that are included in many cereal. The outer husks of beans & peas. and all nuts and seeds and green beans.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of grains, beans and peas. And, the root veggies like potatoes including sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips and chicory root that is Inulin that is included in many processed foods.

Most fiber supplements are soluble fiber-- Metamucil (psyllium seed husk), Citrucel (methylcellulose), Benifiber (guar gum), FiberChoice(Inulin). FiberCon (calcium polycarbophil) is considered an insoluble fiber.
    All meats, seafoods and all dairy products contain no fiber-- including most processed foods.

I just don't get enough soluble fiber in my diet like 75% of people. That is why I take a soluble fiber twice daily.

I will write later about probiotics and what, why and how I use them.

Harry

Closed Thread