It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Stomach Cramps/Bowels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2003, 05:57 AM   #1
    Rossy68
    Inactive

Rossy68 HB User
    Talking Stomach Cramps/Bowels

I have had IBS D type for about 5 years now. Until recently, I have had this well controlled by taking Fybogel - English equivalent of Metamucil I think and by taking Acidophilus caps. However, over the past week or so I have been having problems again and wonder what this is?

When I need to open my bowels, I get niggly stomach cramps and I know then that I need to go. I then sit down on the toilet and the whole of my stomach seems to literally tighten up. I then get severe stomach cramps all over my lower stomach. These cramping pains are so intense that I feel very nauseous, although I don't vomit, bring me out in a cold sweat and I am then forced to double up whilst sitting on the toilet to try and help the pain. Once this pain passes, I am then able to continue to open my bowels relatively normally until the next wave hits me. This happened to me this morning and I was sitting on the toilet for 40 mins before I could finish. Afterwards, I felt totally exhausted by my experinece and had to go back to bed and lie down with a hot water bottle on my stomach to help the pain.

I am really fed up with this, as it seems to be happening on most days at present everytime I need to have a BM. I have even stopped eating as much, as I just dread having a BM so much as I know how painful it is going to be. Most days I spent at least 2 hours sitting on the toilet and as I have to keep on working, dread the day when this happens at work.

Some days when I have a BM, I just sit doubled up on the toilet crying, as my stomach hurts so much. I am finding this very distressing and hard to cope with at present and just feel totally exhausted most of the time.

Please tell me that I am not alone and that others out there are going through the same thing? Does anyone else have symptoms like these and if so, what did you do to help and what can I do? I am getting desperate now and my doctor really is not very helpful at all. I have been to see him several times and he just seems to tell me that as I have IBS he can't help me anymore and that seemingly I just have to put up with the pain and live with it.

So far my doctor has:-

Examined my stomach - very painful all around my lower stomach, but particularly on the left hand side.

Taken blood tests - all of these were normal.

Referred me for endoscopy and colonoscopy - all normal.

Ultrasound scan and x-ray of my stomach - normal.

Diagnosis:- IBS
    Medication:- Fybogel twice daily, Acidophilus caps twice daily - these were recommended by a friend and seem to help quite well for my bloating and gas - don't have a problem now where I used to at one time.
    Colofac - supposedly for stomach cramps, but they don't work.

Can anyone help and suggest where I can go from here. My present problems has been going on for over a week now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread