It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• IBS or Parasite?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #31
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
    Re: IBS or Parasite?

Hi, Jeanie

I am so sorry to hear about how you are feeling. Your message brought back memories of my "parasitic-summer" as I call it. I was miserable for months back in 2002. Although the doctor never found evidence of parasites, she treated me for them because I was totally miserable...like you.

The thing with the Flagyl, as I remember, it takes a while to work. Once it does work, however, until the stuff gets out of your system, you still have symptoms and think you're still sick. I was feeling unwell for a few weeks AFTER I stopped the Flagyl. How long has your doctor prescribed it for? What strength?

It's hard to determine what is causing your symptoms, as you have seen, but I'd give the Flagyl time to work and then time to get out of your system to see if it did the trick. I really hope so.

Please let me know more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 PM   #32
    jeanie1210
    (female)

jeanie1210 HB User

Thx for the response, busymom. The doc prescribed one 500 mg flagyl 4 times a day for 10 days. I have about 2 days worth left. Been trying to take them faithfully. Overall, everything is better. I still have some diarrhea attacks, especially in the evenings. The urgency isn't as bad as it was but its still there. Mornings seem to be the best time for me and things seem to be 'almost but still not quite' normal. I have to call him next week and report how I'm doing.

Jeanie

Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #33
    stuck4life
    (female)

stuck4life HB User
    Exclamation Re: IBS or Parasite?

Hi. I have searched and searched the internet for answers or if anyone has a similar story. I am 26, and have dealt with constipation for over 10yrs. I used to be unhealthy, but for the past 3ys, I have been excersizing and eating lots of fruits and veggies daily. Here is my huge concern: A few years ago, I took laxatives and my BM looked like intestines!! Sometimes I see that wrapped around my BM (without laxatives). I've went to a doctor twice, she detected nothing. I was doing research 3 days ago on fiber suppliments and came across the PARASITES!!!! The pictures looked just like what I saw! I ordered DrNatura's Colonix, I stayed up for a day reading everything I could. I am really scared to take medicines, scrared about my BM and scared about parasites.
    Has anyone had similar stories?
    Has anyone taken Colonix?
    Any information will help.
    Thank you.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #34
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Amy;

For some reason, decided to check old messages I sent and came across this thread. I remember this time! Are you still out there? Whatever happened with you and these symptoms that were pretty much taking over your life?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #35
    rod71
    (male)

rod71 HB User
    Unhappy Re: IBS or Parasite?

Hi all. I am new to this board and have been recently fighting Giardia. I was told by the ER from stool tests that I had it and I was told by my doctors tests that I didnt. However the ER is treating me for it. I have been on the Flagyl for 3 days. How long does it take for the medicine to really kick in and start working? I have had every test under the moon done. Ultrasounds of my abdomen all negative. All my blood work comes back normal. My doctor had decided to send me to a GI when I decided the diahrea was enough and the pain and went to the ER. They said Giardia. After taking the Flagyl for just a few days I feel better but still fighting stomach pain and loose stools. Thoughts?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #36
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Rod:

So sorry to hear what you're going through. If you can sort through all the messages, you can see I went through this around 4 years ago. I will never forget that miserable time in my life! All I remember is that the Flagyl gives you symptoms of Giardia at the same time as helping. What strength has the doctor given you and how long are you taking it? Give it the full amount of time to work and I also remember after I completed the cycle of medication, it stays in your system and you still will experience the same type of symptoms as your Giardia, so you think you may still have the parasite. Give it plenty of time to get out of your system, a week or two, before you decide whether it's worked or not. I think you are on the right track. I remember my doctor remembering I was so miserable she treated me even though my stool tests came back negative. Hang in there, take all your medication and cross your fingers!

Closed Thread