It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2003, 07:18 PM   #1
    njgjbj

njgjbj HB User
    Question Back Pain

Hi, I have been having severe lower back pain that disapears within hours of completing my bowel movements for the day. I wake up pain free and the pain starts after my first bowel movement for the day. Sometimes I go a few times over several hours before I am finished and the back pain starts with the first attempt and continues till I am done for the day. I have regular bowel movements (not too hard, not too soft) I do however get diahrea a couple of times a month usually after I have been constipated for a couple of days. While constipated Ihave no pain. The pain is there even if my movements are very soft. It is right across my lower back and lifting my leg to go upstairs is excruciating. I walk humped over till it passes. I go to bed each night pain free and wake pain free. Any ideas as to what could be causing this would be helpful. Does anyone else reading this forum get severe back pain with their problems? I am booked for BA. Enema next week but don't even know what that is. My doctor mentioned Diurticualar disease but everything I read mentions only abdominal pain and only at very advanced stages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
    Drea

Drea HB User
    Hi, I'm glad you are getting things checked out. The ba. enema, you will be asked to drink a solution, then they will take x-ray pictures during the digestion of it.
    If your doctor does not suggest it, I suggest you ask for a gluten test.
    Is your doctor a gastroenterologist?

Old 02-27-2003, 05:50 AM   #3
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Sounds to me like back pain with sciatica.

If you are predominantly constipated, then this can cause compression of the nerves and the problems that you are complaining of.

Try taking some metamucil.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:14 AM   #4
    lno
    (female)

lno HB User
    Lightbulb

Hi njgjbj: Gosh, I'm glad to hear someone else has this lower back pain. I have posted recently re:a similar situation. For over a year now, I've suffered what is being termed IBS. My right lower back really bothered me & even went down the inside of my leg to the knee only. I had MRI, CT's, Barium xrays & NOTHING was shown to be wrong, oh, also blood & fecal cultures. So, after finding out everything was o.k. I just lived w/it & tried many things to control this back pain, however, mine was associated w/diarrhea. Now, a yr. has passed & I'm having problems w/my left lower back, same symptoms, diarrhea, etc. The difference w/me vs. you, is I can awake at 3-4-5 a.m. w/that pain & go to the bathroom & it does relieve it somewhat. Then when I get up for the day I go again, normal looking & the "pressure" starts to go away. It does have something to do w/the bowels. Like Sarah mentioned, it could be some sort of pressure on nerve endings causing the pain. Possibly a full colon? Your pain starting after a bm could also be related to not completely emptying & the need to do so. Just know that I suffer this same pain in my back & have had all the tests & the only thing the medical people come up w/is IBS. I take Metamucil capsules & they really are helping. I seem to be getting better as far as the diarrhea goes, still have about 4-5 bms daily, which has always been "normal" for me. Wish I could be constipated just for 1 day!!!! Good luck to you. Try Metamucil and of course, go to your DR. & get the proper testing done. Let us know what you find out. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Old 02-27-2003, 07:13 AM   #5
    njgjbj

njgjbj HB User
    Thanks for all your advise, My bowels go from constipation right through to diarea regualarly. My back pain seems to be directly related to my BM's as I only have it till my system is clear and then it goes. I feel for those that have this and go too frequently as when I am doing that I have the back pain all day.

My doctor is just my family doctor and he ordered the B. Enema for next week. Thanks for letting me know what the test is, I didn't have a clue but now that you mentiioned it I think I had one of these same tests years ago for similar problems without the back ache.

What is a gluten test?
    Are there any other tests I should be asking him to send me for?

All advise is very appreciated.

Thanks
    Nancy

Old 02-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
    Drea

Drea HB User
    Hi,

The gluten test, & if I remember rightly, it was just a blood test, will tell if you can tolerate gluten in food. You probably can, but there are so many more people than they originally thought, that cannot tolerate gluten. If you eat gluten when you cannot tolerate it, you can cause more problems in your system. He/she may suggest a scope, just to rule out other problems such as colitis or chrohns. Perhaps a lactose tolerance test, and for me that was a series of blood tests, every half hour, I believe. There is a better test, a breath test that is supposed to be more accurate.
    There may be other tests that he/she may suggest, but I cannot think of others.
    Good luck with everything.

Old 02-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
    njgjbj

njgjbj HB User
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will take them up with my doctor. I go for the B. Enema next week and will see the doctor the following week for the results so I guess I just live with the pain for now and pray.

Nancy

Old 02-28-2003, 02:53 AM   #8
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Gluten intolerance is called Celiac Spru and if you have a positive blood test for this, they will probably want to do an upper GI to look into your small intestine and take a biopsy from there. Basically, when you eat the gluten, it will cause a certain amount of inflammation and destruction in the small intestine that will show up following an endoscopy. Once you cut gluten out of your diet altogether and for life, this inflammation reduce and you will return to normal. It can repair if you don't eat the gluten as you have taken the allergen away.

If you have diarrhea constantly, then you could consider taking calcium supplements with the Metamucil. The calcium helps your bowel to absorb back more water naturally.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:24 AM   #9
    njgjbj

njgjbj HB User
    I have BM from watery to rock hard through out the week. It is mostly normal with maybe one day soft runny another hard and the rest soft but firm.

What is gluten in food? Ihate to sound stupid but how do you cut something out if you don't know what it is.

This morning for the first time I woke up with the back ache but had to immediately run to the bathroom. Ihad spicy food last night. The one way get rid of constipation is to eat spicy and the next day I get cleared out good.

Does spicy affect others like that too? Even taco"s with a little hot sauce will do it.

Thanks again for your advise. All these tests are beginning to scare me. Especially when you start talking biopsy and things like that. I wanted a simple solution to my problems and it seems there is none and I have to look forward to years of frustration and tests. Not a great way to cheer up my day and depression has really started to sink in firm.

Closed Thread