It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Coffee, Cooking oils, Colas & IBS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2003, 07:11 AM   #16
    Dai

Dai HB User
    Yes, coffee, fat, sugar and carbonated drinks are all IBS triggers. I got my IBS in control after I reduced my daily coffee intake. I used to be a big coffee drinker, so I stopped drinking it altogether for 8 weeks. I allowed my system some rest and these days I can allow myself two cups of coffee daily, and only after a meal. Much better.

Dairy shouldn't be eliminated altogether, you'll need the calcium so you might like to try lactose free dairy products. Some cheeses are okay with IBS. I also eat lactose free yoghurt.

I stay away from sugar, fatty foods and oils, carbonated drinks and I'm doing well. With IBS my diet is actually healthier than before even though I can't eat all the veggies I'd like. With cooking I use very small amounts of olive oil and it seems to agree with me.

By the way bubble gum is not good with IBS because you'll be swallowing air... the rest can be imagined!

I know finding a working diet involves time and effort but it is really rewarding. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 05:27 AM   #17
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    I have taken some of the caffinated soda out of my diet and have replaced it with water. A couple of days I was agitated and irritable, but I think it has past.
    I did not drink a lot to begin with so it was not much of a shock. I have had to look at the amount of artificial sweetener. Now what about cooking oils
    Butter for me is definitely out, but I may have some issues with other oils.

Any comments on Olive, Safflower et.al.
    A have noticed that sesame oil may have some affect.
    Soy Sauce, the artificially fermented kind, also can prove to be a problem.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:37 PM   #18
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    The artifical sweetener question has now made me consider not drinking the sugar free colas. many of these are sweetened with Nutrasweet (aspertaime) so drinking thesecould possibly cause problems as well but for different reasons that normal cola.
    i understand that moderation is key, but should I drink less diet cola sweetened with an artifical sweetener relative to regular cola

Closed Thread