It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Coffee, Cooking oils, Colas & IBS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    Post Coffee, Cooking oils, Colas & IBS

I have been away from the boards for a while and I am glad to see these boards still have a lot of information contained within them.

My IBS episodes have drastically reduced over time, but there are weeks when I get flare ups. After tracking my new eating habits, I wanted to know if anyone has had issues with drinking coffee,

Secondly, do some oils initiate IBS reactions more than others such as Sesame, Canola, margarine et. als

Third, Has anyone had any problems with carbonated drinks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 02:17 AM   #2
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Yes, I cannot drink coffee anymore. This overstimulates the gut and I get stomach cramps and upset stomach. Also, I had to give up drinking soda, as I found the gas upset my stomach too. Bad diarrhea and stomach cramps.

I drastically changed my diet also and cut out dairy and a substantial amount of wheat, having found that I was lactose intolerant. Having done this and with a few alternative treatments too, such as homeopathy and herbal medicine, I have no problems now.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #3
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    Thank you for the respoonse, we have similar conditions. awhile ago I found out that Diary is very bad for me. I stopped eating this entirely, or if I do I have Lactaid or Dairyease tablets on hand, but this is rare. Last year my system became highly aggravated by wheat. Cream of wheat, was like eating glass.

I will now cut out coffee. five out of six times that I can remember my system has been compromised.

I will see how I feel in a week and see what happens.

Has anyone had any mood swings?

Old 05-17-2003, 07:35 AM   #4
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

If you cut out caffeine it can make you feel a little irritable - exactly what it normally does to your belly and can give you withdrawal headaches. It could give you mood swings as far as irritability goes. Do it very slowly and don't cut it all out straight away or you will suffer. Cut down the amount by a few cups each day and make sure you drink plenty of water to flush all the toxins out of your system.

Good luck

Old 05-18-2003, 01:45 PM   #5
    cattys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattys HB User
    Hi,
    I have iBS and coffee always goes write through me. Whenever I eat oily foods they also do the same.

I hope you all have a good day.
    cattys

Old 05-19-2003, 05:47 AM   #6
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    Thanks,

I have observed that oily foods have the same effect. But, I wonder if it is the type of oil, or the amount of oil. For example, extra virgin olive oil does not affect me. Sesame oil affects me very quickly.
    I avoid Butter, and "I cannot believe it is not butter" as well as most other margarine becuase they have high lactose or calcium casienate content.

Thanks for the support

Old 05-31-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
    haditinpa

haditinpa HB User
    Cool

Although I am new to this board I am not new to the effects of certain oils. Believe me I can tell if you cooked with OLIVE OIL within an hour. The pain that I have experienced with oil olive cooked meals is enough to make me ask even if the chances are slim that it is in there I still want to be sure now.

Coffee I can drink but not a lot. Honestly it doesn't do my stomach in. I know that is weird but I can drink it on an empty stomach and be fine.

------------------
    I am glad I am not the only one going through this.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    Well, this shows how difficult IBS is to figure out. I can cook with olive oil, but I need to use it sparingly. The difficulty is knowing what to use.
    For example, I cannot process "I can't believe it is not butter", Land O Lakes, or Imperial margarine. However my system totally accepts Parkay. Another surprise that I found was Pringles hurts me becuase they add Wheat starch to the potato chip.

If you find anything else, please post.

Old 07-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #9
    islandboy5150

islandboy5150 HB User
    I find a strong cup of coffee in the early morning stimulates me to have movements and thus reduces the gas, bloating, cramps and possibility of an accident later in the day.

Old 07-24-2003, 12:37 AM   #10
    qsph21

qsph21 HB User
    I've cut caffeine out of my diet, and yeah I went through a little withdrawal (bad headaches) but after I got over the withdrawal, I ended up having more energy since...a long time, heh. So I got a double bonus there--less upset bowels, and energy boost =P

Old 07-24-2003, 01:24 AM   #11
    adso

adso HB User
    I must confess to drinking caffeine too, but in the form of Coke. I have exactly 600ml a day. And 3000ml (or more) of water along side it. I havent found it causes IBS Spasms, but may be responsible for digestion issues and BM's.

My body has an insatiable thirst, I have a drink of water and I feel totally chock full. Pretty shortly after the mouth is dry again, and I feel I need more water and so on. I drink water nearly 24/7, regularly during the night also. I havent seen too many similar reports on this site, which suprised me, because we all must have some problem regulating our digestion, which generally relates to a fibre type issue. And fibre is what controls your bodies ability to store water.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #12
    adso

adso HB User
    Is that true, Re: Too much water can wash the vitamins & minerals out of your system?

Kind of a nightmare if it is, because water is great for keeping your body working properly. I always hoped/assumed that the vitamins would be absorbed into the bloodstream (or wherever vitamins go initially), and any excess would be washed away. But im not sure how long that absoption process takes (and whether its in your stomach or bowels that it occurs).

Old 07-24-2003, 06:41 PM   #13
    samlin

samlin HB User
    wow-i'm learning so much already from all of you. i can drink decaf coffee with no problem. soda really gives me bloating and gas. i love chocolate but it goes right through me-causes diahrea. and if i drink too much liquid of any kind with meals i have problems

Old 07-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #14
    6th_sense
    Veteran

6th_sense HB User
    Hi all,

Apparently, the body absorbs vitamins in the large intestine. As to whether liquid will wash it away - I don't really think so. However, a doctor friend of mine did mention that very little vitamins get absorbed - very little from food and even less from vitamins. I know that vitamin C gets disposed of the first time you go to the jon to pee - Hence the doctors' explain to patients that they should drink plenty of fruit juices when they are sick. I think milk has the most highly absorbable form of calcium in it, and apparently only 17% gets absorbed - with calcium vitamins - it is somewhere below 10% - more like 7%.

Nevertheless, fluids are important as 90% of the body is water and because it helps the body get rid of toxins which affect your performance - if you don't have some fluids during the day though - it is possible to get headaches from dehydration.

Cheers, Raju.

[This message has been edited by 6th_sense (edited 07-24-2003).]

Old 07-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #15
    Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
    OK, But isn't one of the factors that certain Vitamins are required more than other is its solubility.

Vitamin C, for exaample, is water soluble whereas Vitamin E is fat soluable and therefore less Vitamin E is required per day

Closed Thread