It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• antidepressants and IBS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2003, 07:25 AM   #16
    lil red chevy

lil red chevy HB User
    Im not realy sure when the sex drive lessened for me. It was quite sometime ago. I bet my hubby knows better than I do. :smile: (I know that it was before metamucil.) I have wondered about hormones being out of whack so maybe I will get that checked out a.s.a.p too. My periods have been changing and I have painful breasts just before my cycle. Could be hormones for sure. The weather has made it tough to get to the doctor at all really. As soon as it clears up a little I will go. I don't think that the depression is season related. I will keep that in mind though. I seem to get depressed most during painful times of the year. Like March is a bad month for me cause its the month that my dad was killed in a terrible accident. Things like that trigger my depression. I will get to the doctor soon....seems to be the best bet! Thanks for listening!

lil red chevy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #17
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Hey, I have to say that your depression sounds very grief related and I would urge you not to take antidepressants, these will just suppress rather than allowing you to deal with this.

I would urge you to try homeopathic treatment. It is very good for grief and depression issues and works at a very deep level and allows you to deal with things naturally and when you are ready to.

Old 03-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #18
    lil red chevy

lil red chevy HB User
    Sarah,

What would you suggest? I get depressed at other times too. Do you think that the stress and depression could be causing my IBS 'D'? Thanks!

lil red chevy

Old 03-10-2003, 07:45 PM   #19
    Drea

Drea HB User
    Well done, Sarah, I think you may have something, I wonder if grief counselling may help too, do you have access to that kind of counselling, lil red chevy?

I was reading the Reader's Digest for March, it says depression is fairly common with ibs-d, just so you know you are not alone..

The d is not under control? Are the wafers helping with that? Are you eating the yogourt? Wonder if it would help to hold back on the yogourt til you get things settled?

I am sorry things are not going well for you. Get better!

Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #20
    lil red chevy

lil red chevy HB User
    I think that the wafers are definitly helping. I have been doing pretty good with the IBS "D" too. I still find that I am eating some trigger foods. Like yesterday was a killer. BUT I think I narrowed it down to a certain salad dressing so I hope that today is better. I have also started taking ginsing (sp?)
    and I have been taking the calcium for the past two days as well. In fact every morning I eat one wafer, I take one ginsing, I take one calcium, I take one vitamin for stress, I take one daily vitamin amd two vitamin c. I then eat anther wafer with my lunch and take another ginsing. Then I eat one last wafer with my supper or before bed. So far this seems to be working quite well except for my set back yesterday. I have also been eating yogourt. I find that I cant have it everyday yet. I usually eat one or two in a week to at least get some benefits. I would love any suggestions on the natural herbs and things from anyone who actually takes them and is having success.

Thanks for listening! Sometimes thats the best medicine of all!

lil red chevy

Old 03-11-2003, 01:00 PM   #21
    Drea

Drea HB User

That sounds good, lil red chevy, I'm glad things are going better. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Take care.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #22
    lil red chevy

lil red chevy HB User
    Thanks Drea,

Been a long haul and Im sure its not over yet, but makes one have hope when things seem to be working finally. Best of luck! Keep in touch Drea!

lil red chevy http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #23
    kat721
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kat721 HB User
    Posted>> My periods have been changing and I have painful breasts just before my cycle. Could be hormones for sure.<<<

Sounds like you've got part of the formula right with your ideas about diet and suppliments.
    Way to go!
    Especially the Yogurt part.
    Your mention of hormonal changes in your body is a big body signal.
    Yes, you do have other reasons probably contributing to the whole cascade.
    But having symptoms like you have do indicate hormones and those things do have their effect.
    but you sound like you are on the right track. Calcium is good for so many things and it really helps with IBS D. Discovering the triggers with IBS is a huge key.
    My triggers were really bad for a while.
    Yogurt as a steady part of my daily diet for many many
    months really helped my gut.
    I have IBS C. You know, women with hormonal problems are prone to IBS anything too. a huge percentage.
    And I'll tell ya what, that IBS stuff will make you depressed all by it self. It's extremely anxiety producing. Sorting out all the possibilities is a real science project. It's usually a combo of a few things.
    kat

Old 03-12-2003, 08:05 AM   #24
    lil red chevy

lil red chevy HB User
    Kat,

Thanks for your post. Yes the pain of having IBS and trying to sort it all out is enough to make anyone stressed out. I hope to keep going on the right track. I have been feeling better all in all. I have also noticed a small difference in my sex drive, not positive why but I am guessing that it is because I have been feeling better in general. I have also started working out a little. I hope that my sex drive continues to grow. I realize it might never be the same as a few years back but I will take what I can get. Wish you the best!

lil red chevy

Old 03-12-2003, 11:19 AM   #25
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    I tried Prozac but it had unpleasnt side effects. Stomach problems, sleep all day, etc. Then I happened apon the all natural SAM-E and it helped quiet a bit. But not as powerful as the prosac was.

Old 03-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #26
    Drea

Drea HB User
    Hi, lil red chevy,

Wow, sounds like you have a handle on things, that's great... I kind of think that it will just keep getting better, at least that is my hope for you.

I found out too, that yoplait, if it says active bacteria contains l-acidophilous, too. & it has blackberry! Pretty cool. Probably take turns.

Now, if you can do this naturally, that's best, but, if you decide to try Wellbutrin, I want you to ask the doc for lots of info on it. Make sure your decision is informed, ok?

Keep us informed, please.

Old 03-14-2003, 01:47 AM   #27
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Hi,

I would suggest the remedy IGNATIA in a 6 or 30x potency. This is one of the grief remedies. I don't know how long ago this accident happened? If in March time you respond to it again as an acute grief, then Ignatia is certainly a remedy to try and it might just give you that little stimulus that you need.

You should be able to get it from a heathfood store and you let the tablet dissolve under your tongue. I would suggest taking three tablets a day for two days. Stop and then see what happens. Homeopathic remedies will carry on working for quite sometime after you have taken them.

Hope this helps and good luck?

Old 05-17-2003, 05:12 PM   #28
    rach923

rach923 HB User
    i'm am on an antidepressant right now, which i find helps more than i originally thought with my nausea...i seem to have inherited all of my gastrointestinal problems from my grandfather, and he died of physical complications from severe depression...i'm on zoloft 50mg a day, and i thought it wasn't doing anything, so i tried to step down (i did it very slowly, trust me) however, after about four weeks being off it, i suddenly developed some significant anxiety and depression, after going back on it since then, i have felt relief...so i guess the good thing is that i CAN help with GI function, but eve at low doses your brain can become dependent on it..

however, i do not want to go off of it anytime soon, and i don't mind being on and antidepressant, b/c of my g-pa's problems, and the fact that when i was very physically ill two years ago i became depressed, so i figure if its being synthetically supplied, atleast i know its there, and i don't have to worry about being unstable without it...

rach

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
    Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
    September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
    2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
    January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
    March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
    May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
    May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
    April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
    May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Old 09-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #29
    B-J

B-J HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by kat721:
    Hi Lil'red, Goodness, there is a lot of thought on the virtue or evil of the ever popular tricyclic anti depressaant and the SSRI class of med.
    A lot of information floating around out there and a lot more misinformation too.
    First, you need to get self educated on anything and everything you decide to try for treatment.
    You're going to find that everyone has an opinion and only from your own investigation will you find if that
    opinion is one that harmonizes with your needs or not.
    Taking supplimental herbs can be a dangerous endeavor if you don't know enough about herbs and dose and very real drug interactions, not to mention a lot of valid side effects herbs do have.
    the biggest problem with the whole herbal explosion is that too many people don't know enough about the plant substances they are trying to substitute for medicine. So play it safe and research your herbals before making a choice for an alternative.
    The SSRI and Tricyclic class of medication have been proven effective for IBS and IBD. You might want to do a search engine look on the use of these meds for IBS and IBD there's a lot of information available.
    Additionally, the same meds are also used for pain with significant results in the area of neurological pain.
    So it's important to investigate all possibilities and make a personal informed choice when looking for ones best comfort in a medical situation.
    Ones best choice will be which ever substance is effective. If an herb works for you, then great. If an SSRI works for you or a tricyclic antidepressant then that's great too. In the world of IBS or any other chronic condition of discomfort it's all about what brings us to a place of betterment.
    Personally, I like my SSRI and my Tricyclic antidepressant combination just fine.
    That, with some other things, sure does save my gut.
    And saving the gut is the optimum for me since I've already experienced colon shut down and emergency surgery and I have come to the conclusion that such experiences in life are no fun at all.
    So for me, yes indeed, yep, I take all those terrible bad meds. And my days are better for it.
    kat

Old 09-15-2003, 09:29 PM   #30
    B-J

B-J HB User
    Hi Kat 721

-appreciated your remarks. Interested in your comment regarding using a combo of SSRI & Tricyclic.

-would like to know, if possible, what they were & the dosage involved

-also, any suggestions regarding this & IBS-C

thanks, B-J

Closed Thread