It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Primal Defense - to help bowel issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
    JTSKB

JTSKB HB User
    Post Primal Defense - to help bowel issues

Has anyone ever taking Primal Defense by Garden of Life? I heard and read that it's great, but I'd like to talk to someone who's taken it for awhile. I'm at my wits end. I have IBS-C and very very uncomfortable. I have a prescription for Zelnorm and have taken it, but my heart was doing the flutter thing. I just stopped taking it and now I'm so stopped up. I've drank senna tea to get me going, but it wasn't enough.

[This message has been edited by JTSKB (edited 10-16-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 05:10 AM   #2
    NickName
    Inactive
    (female)

NickName HB User
    [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum73/HTML/001525.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum73/HTML/001525.html[/url]

I asked the same question here, maybe this will help

Old 10-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
    JTSKB

JTSKB HB User
    Would you believe I scanned the board before I posted this? Then, of course, after I posted I started reading some of them and found the one you sent me. It was right in front of me.

Thanks. I just ordered Primal Defense today. I should get it next week. I'm desperate and need to do something. I am so bloated. I noticed that something about peppermint. What's that all about?
    T

Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
    NickName
    Inactive
    (female)

NickName HB User
    I don't know the details about peppermint. Have you tried taking acidophilis? It helps a LOT of colon problems.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
    JTSKB

JTSKB HB User
    Never heard of it. What is it? Is it for IBS-C or IBS-D?

Old 10-17-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    JT

Acidophilus is a friendly bacteria that is in a normal healthy GI tract.It aids digestion. It is in most probiotic supplements and yogurt. A person with IBS many times gets the intestinal bacteria out of balance because of diarrhea and many other things.

There are 14 different bacteria cultures or strains in Primal Defense-- Lactobacillus acidophilus is one of them.
    Lack of friendly bacteria can cause diarrhea as well as constipation.

I use a water soluble fiber supplement for regularity--like Metamucil but I buy it from Wal Mart--- Equate --orange flavored & sugar free and a little courser than Metamucil and cheaper. But, the active ingredient--- psyllium is digestable and it ferments and will cause Gas and possible bloating for you when you first start using it. So, if you decide to use it start off slow. The gas will go away with continued use. Make sure you drink enough water like the directions say.

As you may know you're suppose to get 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily for your intestines to function properly.

Also, a good thing to eat or drink to help re-balance your bacteria is yogurt or Kefir.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 10-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #7
    JTSKB

JTSKB HB User
    Smile

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I can't take Metimucel (I know I spelled that wrong.) It kills me. I get severe intestinal cramping. My doctor said it's too harsh for my system. If I get really bad, I'll drink Senna tea. That clears me out. I've been eating a lot of yogurt. I buy the Stoneyhill yogurt and I put flax seed in it. I should be getting the Primal Defense in the middle of this week. I will try anything at this point.

Thanks again.
    T

Old 10-28-2003, 01:11 AM   #8
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User
    I took zelnorm too, it didn't seem to help much but the HEART thing, its almost like a shooting pain. I didn't think of the connection but it started about the same time I started with zelnorm, is there a connection?

Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 AM   #9
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User
    PS JTSKB

Dont take too much Primal Defense at once, I took 3 the first day (spread out) and I was in SOOO much pain the first night with cramping. After a week or so you can build up and it does help some.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 AM   #10
    Freeze

Freeze HB User
    Yes...start slowly with the Primal Defense. The Soil Based Organisms are very powerful. They are the main active probiotic in the formula. Please let us know your results.

Closed Thread