It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Pain from spasm of colon?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
    Obergurgl
    (female)

Obergurgl HB User
    Pain from spasm of colon?

First of all I am not the kind of person who is willing to visit a doctor - through fear!

A couple of years' ago I had a severe abdominal pain which lasted for many hours. The doctor immediately said it was probably caused by a spasm of the colon. He gave me pain killiers and off I went. Miraculouslay I didnt have it again until last month when I had one bout which the same pain killers dealt with.

This week I have had it a lot and I am now wondering if any of you have more info on this for me - it doesn't seem to be related to what I eat or how much I eat, it just happens as and when it feels like it. Can I just keep taking anti-spasmodic pills when I feel the pain or can I control it with a better diet? I would be grateful for any further info from all of you out there.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Pain from spasm of colon?

I have been dealing with IBS for about a year now. About 6 mos. ago, I started taking anti-spasmotics as needed. I was still having some painful mornings. I now take anti-spasmotics at night before bed and again in the morning as needed.

I tried the diet thing first. I still try to watch my diet closely, but that wasn't doing it by itself, thus the antispasmotic. I also have some anti-nausea meds as needed too.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
    star_light221
    (female)

star_light221 HB User

I have been diagnosed with ibs
    I go from normal to having diarhea in a 24 hour period, what i have noticed is that stress will cause me untold misery in tummy. sometimes it feels like my intestines are actually paining, and after i eat i get a feeling like the top of my stomache is pulling ,almost like the skin is to tight across top of abdomen, my tummy grumbles really loud and is so active, i also get quick pain that feels like it is tearing in the bottom of my abdomen that affects my groin. Surelly IBS would not cause all these strange symptoms.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I get pain on and off for years. I don't think it matters what I eat or when just sometimes I get the worst pains and it is all from IBS. I carry anti spasm pills with me now. I may not use them for months and then suddenly I get that knawing pain and I take a pill and it stops. '
    I used to think it was my stomach till they told me no it was my colon causing all this discomfort. Stress seems to be a factor with me. I hate IBS!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
    Evie4
    Veteran
    (female)

Evie4 HB User

Yes, it's tough. I have antispasmoditcs as well. My pain comes during ovulation. Mangaging my constipation thorough not eating wheat/gluten seems to be helping reduce the frequency of the pain. Seems to be a slow process though. I've managed to go the last two months (cycles) without taking the pills. Otherwise I've taken them practically every month for over the past 12+ years.

Closed Thread