It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Fiber supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
    Froogles
    (female)

Froogles HB User
    Fiber supplements

I have IBS and am trying to deal with it in as many natural ways as possible, careful diet, supplements, etc. I saw my doctor recently, I told her I have either diarrhea or just very loose stools nearly everytime I use the bathroom. She told me to look into fiber supplements.

I've been reading articles and forums online and I'm under the impression that fiber supplements are generally used to loosen stools and people with constipation will benefit from them. Is this true? I don't want the stools to become any looser than they already are!

Also, fiber is fiber, yes? Do brand names and type of supplements (capsule vs chewable) really matter?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
    KD86
    (female)

KD86 HB User
    Re: Fiber supplements

Hi Froogles

I have heard that fiber supplements can also be used to bulken up stools to help with diarrhea.

I use fiber supplements to help with my constipation.

I personally use Benefiber Powder. It mixes in with liquids well. I don't like chewables because they don't taste good. I tried tablets once. The directions said to be sure to drink a lot of water with it. I found out why. I swallowed one with a small glass of water and felt my throat start to close up. I did some research and found this is common. I don't mean to scare you just sharing what I know.

KD

Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
    overberg
    (male)

overberg HB User

Froogles i find this posting rather confusing by way of advice from your Doctor.I can only suggest you work at the fibre issue and for a start, cut down on your fibre intake and thereafter try to eliminate it all together.Let us know what the situation is, say in 2 months time.Go well.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

When my Doc told me to take fibercon tabs I thought the same thing. He said it works the opposite on us. I find that when I take them it helps me to have normal movements and the tabs are less of a problem to just swallow then most other stuff. Good luck with it...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
    iluvmysi
    (female)

iluvmysi HB User

wow, I don't have as many bad IBS symptoms as most people on this board...unless I've just learned to live with it. My main issues are 1. Gas and 2. Bloating... lots of doctors say to "eat more fiber rich foods" but THOSE foods make the gas and bloating feel so much worse!! why is that? I do go from normal to constipation, to looser stools, then at times diarrhea.. I used to not go for 3 to 4 days, but now that I'm older, 35 now, the discomfort is so much worse. From reading some posts, it does not seem advantageous to see a doc..I have never been diagnosed with IBS. could it be good to see a doc just to rule out anything more serious?

As far as fiber supplements, I've tried using phyllium husk (Colon Cleanse) and it does work pretty well for me but there are days when I am stressing about whatever that I might skip a day or so.. But now that I'm on hydroxycut to help lose some weight, I don't need the colon cleanse..

Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
    Georgette
    (female)

Georgette HB User

There is a misconception with fibre that it is only a laxative since most people use it for that purpose; however in reality it is a regulator. Take it from me - I suffered for three years with IBS symptoms such as urgency, pain, loose stools/diarrhea.

Finally after switching family doctors twice, my newer GP told me to try Metamucil powder. It has worked wonders. Things aren't perfect, but they have improved tremendously. I have been taking 1 heaping teaspoon every morning for 4 years now, and no more loose stools (except on occasion, due to illness, strange foods, too much partying ). I still get the urgency, but it's a lot less worrisome when you know it will be solid and not loose or liquid.

You may have a problem with gas when you first start taking it but your body will adjust.

As for brand type, I don't think they are all created equal. My father in law used to take Metamucil, then one day when he went shopping they were out of it so he bought a store brand instead, and he had nothing but problems and had to stop taking it. I have heard other people say that Benefiber, or some other specific brand works best for them. For me though, it's Metamucil. Good luck.

Closed Thread