It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Fiber supplement for IBS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User
    Fiber supplement for IBS

Today I had my follow-up visit with my gastro doc. I had a colonoscopy done on Feb 16th...doc said my colon appears to be in perfect health with no polyps or anything unusual. He is standing by his diagnosis of IBS, for now...and has suggested for me to try a fiber supplement such as Metamucil or Citrucel. I'm a bit frustrated and disappointed, because I feel I take in more than enough fiber in my daily diet, and I expressed this point to him. He feels that adding in the fiber supplement will "balance" things out, since I have a tendency to flip-flop between diarrhea and constipation. Personally, I do not think the fiber supplement will change anything, but I'm willing to give it a try...as long as it doesn't make things worse. He wants me to try it for 3-4 weeks, and then schedule another visit a month from now.

So for those of you that have tried a fiber supplement for your IBS...is there one particular brand or type that works better than others? I definitely do NOT want more gas and/or bloating (have more than enough of that, thank you very much!). Are there any fiber supplements out there that don't cause more gas and bloat? What about taste & texture? Which one goes down the smoothest? Thanks!

Last edited by nscrbug; 03-09-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Fiber supplement for IBS

Most people only eat around 14 g. of the 25 recommended grams of fiber each day. My GI doc has me shooting for at least 35 g. of fiber per day. Tough to do some days.

My GI doc specifically recommended Metamucil. I don't know if it is all that much better than any other, but that is what I stick with.

Outside of the fiber, my GI doc has me on Miralax. Full doses as needed and 8mg per day every other day. He said to do that until such time I have diarrhea all the time and I can stop because it means my system is regulating a bit better.

BTW, I now have alternating IBS. I was diagnosed about a year ago.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
    KD86
    (female)

KD86 HB User

I use Benefiber and have been from some time now. It mixes nicely in my water. Sometimes I will even put it into my hot chocolate.

There are also a whole lot of snack type foods that are more enriched with fiber. Fiber One makes bars and breakfast pastries (they look and taste just like pop tarts). Kellogg and Quaker make fiber filled granola bars too. They are a tasty way to increase fiber into your diet.

KD

Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post
    I use Benefiber and have been from some time now. It mixes nicely in my water. Sometimes I will even put it into my hot chocolate.

There are also a whole lot of snack type foods that are more enriched with fiber. Fiber One makes bars and breakfast pastries (they look and taste just like pop tarts). Kellogg and Quaker make fiber filled granola bars too. They are a tasty way to increase fiber into your diet.

KD

Thanks for the reply. Yup, I'm already a fan of the Fiber One & Quaker bars...been eating those since they came out awhile ago. I eat plenty of whole grains throughout the day - oatmeal, Ezekial bread, shredded wheat, etc. I also eat a lot of apples and berries too. But my doc wants me to try a powdered fiber supplement to see if it balances things out for me. Thanks again for the Benefiber suggestion.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    Most people only eat around 14 g. of the 25 recommended grams of fiber each day. My GI doc has me shooting for at least 35 g. of fiber per day. Tough to do some days.

My GI doc specifically recommended Metamucil. I don't know if it is all that much better than any other, but that is what I stick with.

Outside of the fiber, my GI doc has me on Miralax. Full doses as needed and 8mg per day every other day. He said to do that until such time I have diarrhea all the time and I can stop because it means my system is regulating a bit better.

BTW, I now have alternating IBS. I was diagnosed about a year ago.
    At the moment, I don't have a genuine need for Miralax...although I have tried it in the past and for some reason, it didn't do much for me...even at full dose for several days at a crack.

So far, the 3 fiber supplements I'm considering are Metamucil, Citrucel, and Benefiber. I've heard that Citrucel doesn't bloat you as much as Metamucil can. I know that Metamucil is pysillium and Citrucel is something different....not sure what is used in Benefiber.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
    lauri446
    (female)

lauri446 HB User

I haven't tried this yet (I ordered it and it is on the way), but you may want
    to look into Unifiber. I have a gas issue so this is why I am going to give this a try. Of course I have been told that all fiber supplements can cause gas in the beginning as you adjust. I tried Citrucel, but always felt like it was getting stuck in my throat. After I have been on it for a couple of weeks I intend to post about. Check out their website....& then decide.
    Good luck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Today I had my follow-up visit with my gastro doc. I had a colonoscopy done on Feb 16th...doc said my colon appears to be in perfect health with no polyps or anything unusual. He is standing by his diagnosis of IBS, for now...and has suggested for me to try a fiber supplement such as Metamucil or Citrucel. I'm a bit frustrated and disappointed, because I feel I take in more than enough fiber in my daily diet, and I expressed this point to him. He feels that adding in the fiber supplement will "balance" things out, since I have a tendency to flip-flop between diarrhea and constipation. Personally, I do not think the fiber supplement will change anything, but I'm willing to give it a try...as long as it doesn't make things worse. He wants me to try it for 3-4 weeks, and then schedule another visit a month from now.

So for those of you that have tried a fiber supplement for your IBS...is there one particular brand or type that works better than others? I definitely do NOT want more gas and/or bloating (have more than enough of that, thank you very much!). Are there any fiber supplements out there that don't cause more gas and bloat? What about taste & texture? Which one goes down the smoothest? Thanks!

Closed Thread