It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• How do I solidify loose stools?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #31
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User
    Re: How do I solidify loose stools?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
    Hospital visit today. Consultant doesn't want to do any more scopes at present (Thank God...). Had blood tests to check for Bacteria in the Bowel and recommended (Fibergel) for loose bowel and recommended I see a Dietitian for my weight loss, even tho I eat well. (waiting for an appointment). Hope I haven't got H.Pylori again!! I really dread Antibiotics. How are things with you. Take Care, Solofelix.
    Ooh, I'm surprised they'll check for bacteria, I didn't think the NHS believed in candida etc. Hope you get sorted soon. I'm afraid I've gone and broke my SC diet. I bought some yoghurt to make my own starter and had a few spoonfuls before realising the shop bought stuff contains lactose which is illegal on that diet. I'm also going to a friend's house for lunch on Sunday, and I really don't fancy saying I can't eat potatoes or starch or sugar or anything because I don't fancy telling them I have loose stools every day!! With that in mind I've eaten four choccy biccies today (naughty) and plan to start the diet afresh on Monday. I had a quick look at the candida diet and it's similar to the SCD one, but with candida I think there's a few more restrictions. Bye for now.

Meadowsweet. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #32
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I believe the blood test was to check for H.Pylori which I had previously, to check it has not returned(I hope not..). What do you eat in place of potatoes, I guess pasta is a NO NO as well. The Consultant recommended (Fibre Gel) for my loose stools, can be bought (OTC). Do you eat Bread, as I live in Ireland Soda Bread is very popular here. I make my own, I know just what goes in it. Solofelix.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Quote:
    I believe the blood test was to check for H.Pylori which I had previously, to check it has not returned(I hope not..). What do you eat in place of potatoes, I guess pasta is a NO NO as well. The Consultant recommended (Fibre Gel) for my loose stools, can be bought (OTC). Do you eat Bread, as I live in Ireland Soda Bread is very popular here. I make my own, I know just what goes in it. Solofelix.
    Up until I started (or tried to start the SC diet) I used to make my own bread as much as poss. I tended to use wholemeal flour, sometimes mixed with rye, or rye and white flour. I then read about the benefits of long ferment bread where you leave it to ferment for 24 hours; it's supposed to help break down the phytates in the grains and make it more digestable - but I was still trying to experiment with that to avoid getting a doughy mixture. All grains - yep, that includes pasta - and potatoes are illegal on the SC diet (and the candida diet, I think). For the three days I tried it before failing miserably I used mashed swede in place of potatoes. To try and get something that resembled a slice of bread I sliced an aubergine thinly, laid it on a plate and sprinkled it generously with salt to get the bitter flavour out, then dipped it in beaten egg and shallow fried it. There is a 'bread' recipe for the diet where you use ground almonds instead of flour, but ground almonds are really expensive. I haven't tried it yet. I also can't really start the diet properly until I get a yoghurt maker, as that is important. It's a really difficult diet to try, but if it brings about a cure I'm willing to give it a shot.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #34
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Hospital visit today. Consultant doesn't want to do any more scopes at present (Thank God...). Had blood tests to check for Bacteria in the Bowel and recommended (Fibergel) for loose bowel and recommended I see a Dietitian for my weight loss, even tho I eat well. (waiting for an appointment). Hope I haven't got H.Pylori again!! I really dread Antibiotics. How are things with you. Take Care, Solofelix.
    Well I'm glad you had your hospital visit and they did blood work. Keep us posted how they turn out as I've been trying to follow this thread and was wondering how you both are making out.

If they say no potatoes does that also mean sweet potatoes? I know there is suppose to be a big difference between the two, as they even say Diabetics are ok with the sweet ones as I guess they digest slower.

Wishing you both luck, and keep me posted...JJ..

Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #35
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Mashed Swede in place of potatoes sounds great, I will try that. I don't make cakes/bread with white flour. I use Bicarbonate-Soda in bread as a raising agent and I make cookies with Ground Almonds in place of flour.
    With digestive disorders the diet takes some adjustment. For sugar I use Xylitol (its made from the Birch tree) tastes same as sugar. Just got some Digestive Enzymes, will start them tomorrow. Solofelix.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #36
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yeah give them a try as I was told they do take longer to digest and doesn't effect your sugar like white potaotes can. Figured if it's good for Diabetics just might be good for the old digestive system. Like anything, we have to try what we can and hope for the best.

Take care and keep us updated..both of you...JJ....

Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #37
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hello JJ,

As far as I'm aware sweet potatoes are banned on the specific carb diet too. I think it's to do with the sugar content feeding the bad bacteria in the gut. Hope to post any success stories in the future. :-)

Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #38
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

The soda bread sounds delish ... but if you're doing the SC diet I don't think it's allowed :-/ If you make cookies with ground almonds instead of flour you'll probably be familiar with a lot of the recipes on the SCD websites. Ciao for now.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #39
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello Meadowsweet,
    How are things going with the SCD. When I saw the Consultant he told me to increase my fibre intake for the loose bowel problem. He suggested ( Fibregel ). I tried it once before and didn't like it. Instead I bought (Benefibre) which is a powder you add to food/drink, no taste to it. It has worked well (2tsp) per day. Thought this might be helpful for you! Waiting on the results of my Blood Tests.
    Cut out all sugar (Arrh...) and Candida has improved. Gerd still remains.
    Keep me up to date with your progress. Solofelix.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #40
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hello Solofelix,

Glad to hear the Benefibre is working well. I'll make a note of that and try some if the SCD doesn't work. It's now day 4 of the diet and it's really hard ... eating only eggs, meat, fish and veg is tough going. They do say to wait until week 2 or 3 - after the diarrhoea has cleared up - before trying cooked fruit, but I've had an avocado for the last two mornings for a bit of variety. I don't have a success story to report yet, but I'll let you know if I do. It's good news about your Candida too. Thanks for thinking about me and suggesting the Benefibre. Have a good weekend. :-)

Oh yes, about your GERD, is it acid reflux? Some people swear by taking a bit of apple cider vinegar (around 1 tablespoon in half a glass of water or something like that) before each meal. Some people find that their acid reflux isn't due to too much acid, but due to not having enough stomach acid. The vinegar helps to supply the missing acid. Also, for people who suffer with acid reflux at night, sometimes eating an apple before going to bed works. Somehow the acid in the apple is what's needed to help with the reflux problem. I mentioned it to a friend two years ago and she eats an apple every night now, and she hasn't had the reflux at night since then ... mind you, I don't know how serious yours is, but maybe it's worth investigating?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #41
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Meadowsweet,
    Your SCD diet sounds so hard. I'm still off the sugar but miss having a sweet after my dinner. I seem to be doing o.k with Blueberries/Raspberries and yogurt but even that gets boring.
    Whats a "Happy Easter" without an Easter Egg! ha ha... just a joke, but its great not to have a sore mouth and white spots.
    Meadowsweet, What do you eat for your breakfast!. I love Avocado filled with cottage cheese and thinly sliced tomato on the top.
    Can you eat cookies made with Ground Almond and Xylitol as the sugar. I try to avoid white flour products.
    Keep me informed of the diet and how it goes.
    Solofelix.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #42
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hi Solofelix,

Before starting this diet I'd eat anything for breakfast, organic weetabix, poached egg on toast, fruit selection, porridge etc. At the moment I'm limited to just meat, fish, veg (not potatoes) and egg. They do say to introduce cooked fruit and honey and whole nuts later on, oh yes, there are certain cheeses you can eat later on. But I've already started eating those things in the first week as it's so difficult and like you say, boring, on such a limited palatte. Anyway, at the moment my breakfast choices include: eggs in any description, poached, boiled, fried or scrambled with half a ripe banana or an avocado. One day I made some home made chicken burgers and had those with fried mushrooms. It was just minced chicken, thrown in the processor with onion, an orange pepper, s & p and an egg, then shallow fried in mild olive oil. Another day I had shallow fried aubergine with fruit. Conventional breakfasts have to go out of the window as you can only eat 'legal' foods. Have just remembered we're allowed bacon as long as it has no sugar or dextrose in it. I'll be getting some next week and probably enjoy bacon, eggs, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes some days ... mmm, I'm slavering just thinking about it!

I made some almond cookies last night: half a packet of ground almonds, about 2 tablespoons of crushed creamed coconut, 1 teaspoon of almond essence, 2 teaspoons of honey (which is allowed on this diet as honey is easier to digest than cane or beet sugar apparently) and 1 egg white. I formed them into little mountains (about a tablespoon in size) like coconut macaroons and baked them in a medium oven for 15 to 20 mins ... delish.

I'm waiting for my yoghurt maker to turn up ... it only cost around 13 off a well known online shopping site. Apparently on this diet you can't eat shop bought yoghurt as they don't ferment it long enough. But you can eat yoghurt if you make your own. It has to be left fermenting for 24 hours for the bacteria to eat the lactose, as lactose is a sugar which can feed the bad bacteria in your gut.

I break the monotony in the evenings by eating a few brazil nuts and walnuts, which is allowed. Will definately keep you informed as ... if ... I improve. Glad to hear your candida is getting sorted, just keep doing what you're doing. :-) M.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #43
    Meadowsweet33
    (female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Just thought I'd add an up date to what's been happening. I couldn't bear the Specific Carbohydrate Diet any longer so switched to one called low fodmaps, which allows you to eat potatoes and rice. Also started taking HMOs (potent probiotics). After a couple of weeks I started to do quite well - had four firm consecutive bowel movements which is a miracle for me (still thin in size, but being firm is miraculous). I couldn't work out whether the HMOs were helping or the diet, anyway I started cheating on the diet and eating all sorts of forbidden stuff and stools have returned to their usual mush. Will try and restart the fodmap regime and see what happens. Hope it wasn't a fluke. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #44
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Meadowsweet, Its so difficult to stay on these diets. I will take a look at the Fodmap diet later and see if it would help me. Still strugling along with all my issues. I am staying off the sugar as much as possible. BMs this way/that way. Nice to hear from you and let us know how the new diet goes, Solofelix.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #45
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meadowsweet,
    How are things going with the Fodmap diet and how is your
    health now. I remain much the same. Solofelix.

Closed Thread