It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Mucus and Flagyl

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
    seebrown
    (female)

seebrown HB User
    Unhappy Mucus and Flagyl

Hello, just going to give a general run down on this in case anyone has any insights, so be prepared for poop descriptions.

Some background on my stomach: I have what I would consider mild GERD. I take GDL Licorice daily and Ranitidine once every few weeks at this point (used to take Prilosec but weaned myself off of it last year).

Last week I started getting diarrhea, nausea and the worst stomach cramps I've ever experienced (around my navel). Our new puppy had just been diagnosed with giardia several days prior, and I laughingly wondered if I could have gotten it too (I am not a hypochondriac by any means). However, my symptoms increased over the week, including stomach cramps so bad they woke me up in the middle of the night.

I went to a GP and said I thought I might have giardia and was prescribed flagyl. I've been taking flagyl now since Monday. I actually do feel better, but I've been a bit constipated and my poops have been hard balls with mucus all over them and weird jelly stringy things sticking out of them too (they look a bit worm-like, but translucent). Giardia is microscopic, so this couldn't be the giardia, but I'm wondering if it is just mucus or if it could be some other parasite (I haven't been out of the country for years or drinking from questionable water sources)? My stomach cramps have also continued, though not as severe, and from older threads I've read, the flagyl can cause these symptoms as well. I'm more concerned about the weird-looking poops! Is this normal when on flagyl?

Last edited by seebrown; 05-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Mucus and Flagyl

This antibiotic is very strong and does produce many side effects.

The last time I took it -- I had to stop after only 5 days.

I think alot of people get infections from their pets. You just have to be careful-- Wash hands frequent-- particular after playing with or your hands come in contact with your new puppy!!

Their immune system is much stronger than yours.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-12-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread