It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• IBS 20yr Misery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #91
    rederyn
    (female)

rederyn HB User
    Re: IBS 20yr Misery

Sad to report, that I don't seem to be doing any better. The fodmap diet isn't helping. I had a slew of labs done, and they are all pretty much normal. I'm still waiting on my adrenal test, but that will just explain my tiredness/insomnia, not really the IBS I don't think.
    I've been on the fodmap diet for over 3 weeks now with no relief in symptoms. So the next step is to test me for SIBO. I'd like to have the LEAP test for food intolerances done as well, but everything is so pricey.... ugh! I'm at the point where I just want to start eating everything again, why deprive myself of the things I love to eat, if I'm miserable anyways?!
    So the plan with my nutritionist is to stop the fodmap diet (I'll go through the end of the week, since I already bought and planned my menu through Friday), get tested for SIBO....
    I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard. So far my attempts at fixing it through elimination diet have failed, so I'm thinking that it must be SIBO or individual food intolerances...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #92
    seabell
    (female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User

Hello Rederyn and Bridgett,

I think both of you could benefit by keeping a food diary and trying to pinpoint what foods are irritating your poor tummies. I remember when I first tried a food diary, I ended up just throwing it across the room because it made no sense to me. But I stuck with it, using a regular calender to scribble down what I ate. The days my stomach would really bother me, I'd mark with a big red X. As I did this month after month, I did start seeing a pattern and started eliminating certain foods from my diet. For instance, I love a big salad for lunch. I'd throw everything in a bowl, lettuce, tomatoes, pasta, cold cuts, cheese, cukes, bacon, and I would eat that every day for lunch. Until I realized that raw veggies, especially lettuce, were a huge trigger for my stomach. My hubby loves SPICY food, will eat buffalo wings by the bucket. I like to nibble on them, wiping my eyes as the steam pours out of my ears...but realized that even the littlest bit set my stomach off.

Food triggers are different for everyone, but some of the more common ones are: dairy (esp. high fat), anything high fiber (like breakfast cereals), veggies and fruit (esp. raw), artificial sweeteners, beans, onions, carbonated beverages.

What I've discovered is that I can eat a salad now, but not 2 days in a row. I maybe can enjoyed fried onions on a hamburger tonight, but if I have them tomorrow on a steak, I may have tummy issues. I can eat a raw apple but only if I peel it. Same with cucumbers, they have to be peeled. But potato skin doesn't bother me.

It's going to be trial and error, and at times frustrating. Believe me, I gave in a lot and just ate what I wanted to. I figured since I didn't feel good no matter what I did, I might as well enjoy that double pepperoni with garlic pizza and choc ice cream for dessert (I think I just made myself sick thinking about that!)

Keep with the fiber, I truly believe it will help you (it was just featured on Dr. Oz show, he called it fairy dust powder for your tummy).

hugs,
    SB

Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #93
    rederyn
    (female)

rederyn HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have been keeping a food diary, and I believe that I am currently in that "this isn't making any sense yet, screw it, I'm just going to eat whatever I want because I'm miserable anyways!!" phase!! I will keep at it though, and will hopefully start seeing some patterns. I am suspecting fruit and veggies though, since that is something that didn't change much with the FODMAP diet trial. (Less fruits, veggies encouraged) and I am still miserable, so maybe that is my issue. Thanks for the encouragement.

Closed Thread