It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• IBS not sure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
    IBS not sure

Hi
    Ive been diagnosed as having IBS, this is before i have a scope in february, so not sure how they got to the diagnosis yet.
    these are my symptoms:
    abdo pain almost constant
    constant diarreah only controlled by immodium for past 2 weeks
    weight loss as i can only eat child portions due to bloating and scared of diarreah.
    slight nausea.

the worst part of it for me is the windy crampy pains in my stomach which wake me up almost every morning the mornings are the worst for me, as i get about 3 episodes of diarreah and pain and am weak until lunchtime then i pick up a lottle, but i feel run down and weak. I have no desire to wash my hair get dressed up or do any housework, i just cant find the energy to do it.
    Whats wrong with me? the doctors keep saying IBS as ive had lots of tests done which come back normal. My last lot of abdo bloods yesterday all came back clear. I'm hinging my hopes on what the colonoscopy shows in February.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: IBS not sure

From the way it was explained to me, IBS is frequently a diagnosis of exclusion. When everything else has been excluded, that is when they diagnose the IBS. I had trial and error with medications, multiple blood work and stool labs, and the scopes before receiving my IBS diagnosis.

Regardless of the diagnosis, it is still a tough road trying to find the most appropriate treatments to get the symptoms under control.

I had IBS D for 5 years. Some days up to 20 times a day. Mornings have always been rough for me. This year, after going on iron and calcium supplements, all of the sudden, I'm dealing with IBS C. I guess officially it is now IBS Alternating. My doctor said that he has patients who take iron and calcium just for the purpose of abating the diarrhea.

I hope your scope helps you find some answers. Not knowing a root cause of the IBS symptoms can really be frustrating at times.

If you are looking for diet recommendations, you may try researching a Low FODMAP diet. I've been reading up on it recently, but haven't tried it yet. What I've been reading does make sense.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    From the way it was explained to me, IBS is frequently a diagnosis of exclusion. When everything else has been excluded, that is when they diagnose the IBS. I had trial and error with medications, multiple blood work and stool labs, and the scopes before receiving my IBS diagnosis.

Regardless of the diagnosis, it is still a tough road trying to find the most appropriate treatments to get the symptoms under control.

I had IBS D for 5 years. Some days up to 20 times a day. Mornings have always been rough for me. This year, after going on iron and calcium supplements, all of the sudden, I'm dealing with IBS C. I guess officially it is now IBS Alternating. My doctor said that he has patients who take iron and calcium just for the purpose of abating the diarrhea
    I hope your scope helps you find some answers. Not knowing a root cause of the IBS symptoms can really be frustrating at times.

If you are looking for diet recommendations, you may try researching a Low FODMAP diet. I've been reading up on it recently, but haven't tried it yet. What I've been reading does make sense.
    HI thanks for the info,
    im seeing my gastro tomorrow to discuss how i can cope with the pain and diarreah until my colonoscopy which is over a month away.
    My last stool test from 2 days ago came back CLEAR !!! im not making presumptions until my colonscopy but im steering towards allergy or colitis, but i have no raised inflamation markers which would suggest colitis etc, but then i have read sometimes you dont get raised markers anyway.
    So I dont know whats giong on.
    I stopped all dairy for past 24 hours to see if that helps. We will see. its all very frustrating and puzzling for me, the stress adds to the symptoms too, which doesnt help.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I went to see the doctor today. When I got to the hospital and the doctor wasn't there. Apparantly called off elsewhere ( probably to a private job) pardon my cynicism )
    I saw consultant nurse who is very nice.
    She's told me I must take the 10mg amytryptiline doc wants me to take as they definetely feel it's functional IBS. They think my nerves in my stomach are working overtime and causing this constant state of full alert, hence the diarreah.
    I really don't know what to think about this. I don't feel stressed particularly or a nervous wreck either. The thing is they have nothing else to go on as all my bloods and stool samples this week have come back totally normal. I'm hoping by taking the pills plus immodium regularly it will calm things down until my colonoscopy beginning of February.
    I just struggle majorly that this stress nerve thing can wreak so much havoc on my day to say life. Just don't get it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Worrybucket:
    MountainReader (01-10-2015)
    Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Amitryptiline is an anti-depressant. 10 mg. is an extremely low dose compared to the up to 300 mg I understand they prescribe for those with depression. I'm on 10 mg Amitryptiline also. In my case, I take it at night to help 'calm' my Vagus nerve that basically goes from the brain to the gut. Within a couple weeks, I saw marked improvement in my symptoms taking it for that reason.

I hope it helps give you some relief.
    MR

Old 01-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
    zoe305
    (female)

zoe305 HB User

Hi both. Ibs is often from food intolerances. What mountainreader mentioned earlier about fodmaps is definitely worth looking into. Stress does play a part in ibs of course but diet is the bigger contributor.

My recommendation is to get yourself to a dietician who specializes on ibs / food intolerances. They will most likely put you on an elimination diet for a couple of months to find what foods are triggering your bowel issues. From there you will know what you can and can't eat. Also ask them about hydrogen breath testing, this identifies if lactose and fructose are triggers.

Unfortunately the body is a complicated beast and can and will decide at any given time that it no longer likes certain foods. It's not as simple as skipping a food for a day or a week to find of it is the one either. A dietician will know how to find the culprits.

If you can get your diet sorted out then you will not need to take that medication from the doctor for your bowels.

I am just a patient too, but i suffer from ibs as well as ulcerative colitis and rarely have any issues now that the nasties in my diet have been identified.

Worrybucket, may I suggest in the meantime that instead of eating smaller portions, you try eating a more plain diet? emit bread, pasta and processed foods. Don't eat spicy or acidic either and try minimize fruit, especially stone fruits and apples. Eat bananas, vegetables (avoid onion garlic and cabbage) eat lean meats and fish. Stay away from dairy and beans and legumes.

Even if it is an inflammatory bowel disorder causing your issues, these are the foods that you should eat during a flare. Boring i know but reduces the pain and chances of needing that spare change of clothes.

fodmaps are definitely the way forward with professional guidance, hope that helps :-)

Old 01-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
    zoe305
    (female)

zoe305 HB User

I forgot to mention, also avoid corn :-)

Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #8
    beaus mom
    (female)

beaus mom HB User

I too have had diarrhea for 8 months now. Constant for 7 months to the degree on some weeks I couldn't leave the house. Many accidents in both the day and night time. Had tests to eliminate all the expected issues and came back clean. I started on probiotics - live cultures of 80 Billion (only get probiotics if they must be refrigerated ) one morning, one before bedtime and it was like a miracle cure! I went back to normal BM's and watch my food intake. I eliminated foods that upset my stomach or made me feel funny or sluggish. Breads and rice seem to work best. Low, low fats. No beef. It worked for about 6 weeks, then I began having a day here and there where I would wake up running off....calmed down by noon with an additional probiotic. Now it's back to every morning. Out of bed , the first sip of water or coffee starts the ball rolling. The intestines sound and feel like there is a football game going on in my gut! The noise is quite humorous at times, but its results are crippling. My Yorkshire dog has been diagnosed with IBD so his signs match mine.....which I find odd. Anyway, trying to find an MD that is also supports alternative medicine....like a Dr. Andrew Weil. But at least for now the probiotics are somewhat managing the problem with an occasional Imodium. It was also suggested that I look up the "blood diet" and match foods that support my blood type. Anyone ever tried that course of action?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
    cheer up
    (female)

cheer up HB User

Wow, that's quite a story. I've had the runs now for more than 5 of the past 10 days -- came on out of the blue. ALWAYS have had a nervous stomach/spastic colon on occasion, but now at age 66 -- who knows what is going on.

I've had no fever or nausea, etc., so don't think I got food poisoning, but surely could have developed an allergy practically overnight. Gallbladder was removed 15 years ago and everyone says losing that can bring on problems at any time at all, sometimes many years after the fact.

For a long while I've been unable to tolerate ice cream but other dairy was OK. Now I think that could be a problem though Lactaid 'milk' hasn't helped either.

I do love pastries, chocolate, coffee, spicy foods and all the other things you're not supposed to consume when you have IBS or other bowel problems. Swell.

Probiotics interest me -- we see more and more TV ads in recent years re all of our various stomach/bowel problems, among others. Obviously there is a huge market for treatments and cures. And as we age, a lot of this stuff comes on or gets worse.

Thanks for the tip re probiotics -- something to research, for sure.

I'm retired so not really 'stressed' either BUT with my long history of sometime problems with bowel, I've come to the conclusion that just having the fear of another attack of 'D' in your mind every day can bring it on. The mind is very powerful and some medical experts are convinced stress plays a big part in IBS.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #10
    love714
    (female)

love714 HB User

This is a very late post to this but hoping one of you might chime in! For the two of you taking Amitriptyline, have you noticed a difference? My doctor explained to me that it was originally created for depression but then they realized it had more of an effect on stomach and headache issues. I was put on it for a separate issue and we figured we'd keep our fingers crossed that it might help with IBS as well. I accidentally missed a dose last night and now tonight my IBS pain is full throttle. Curious to see if any others have seen an effect.

Closed Thread