It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

Could this be IBS?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
tkunkle9
(male)

tkunkle9 HB User
Could this be IBS?

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to help address my symptoms. Within the past few weeks, I have been experiencing some problems in the stomach/GI area. It usually starts with loud, sporadic, rumbling from my abdomen. I know that this can be normal, but these are pretty loud and almost feel like a quivering sensation in my intestinal area. This symptom is usually accompanied by gas as well, which led me to believe that this was totally normal. The problem has come when it hasn't gotten any better (actually it seems like it is getting more frequent). I have also been experiencing changes in bowel habits which seem to vary day-to-day. These bowl changes have been the most alarming to me and caused me to believe that this is something other than normal digestive activity. It appears as though there may be malabsorption somewhere in my digestive tract, based on my bowel movements. I have gone from having a bowel movement once a day to 3 or 4 times a day (usually 30 minutes to an hour after each other). The color and shape of stool has also changed, sometimes it is light brown and sometimes it is very dark, sometimes it is normal looking while sometimes it is thin, or even diarrhea. No matter how it looks though, there always seems to be the presence of undigested food. I'm not sure if this could be IBS or not and no doctor I've seen has brought up IBS as a possibility either. Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Information about me:
-I am a 25 year old male and consider myself to be pretty healthy overall (no tobacco use, drink alcohol on occasion, exercise regularly)
-I currently take Synthroid 25 mcg (low thyroid), Prilosec 40mg (acid reflux), Daily multivitamin, Daily probiotic (to try and regulate GI tract)

Recent medical exams/tests:
-Two months ago I had an upper endoscopy done to check for damage due to acid reflux. No severe damage was found, an area of gastritis was found in my stomach. MD increased Prilosec dosage from 20mg to 40mg daily. H-Pylori test came back negative.
-A month ago I went to ER for severe abdominal discomfort and bloating. By this time I had lost 12 pounds in a month and was extremely concerned. The ER doctor ran multiple blood tests and did an abdominal CT scan with barium dye. Blood tests came back negative and the CT images did not show anything leading to the cause of this abdominal discomfort.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
bowel disorder, change in bowel habit, diarreha, irritable bowel, stool