It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

Kidney Surgery. Likely full Nephrectomy. Most likely Malignant. What can I expect.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
payers24
(male)

payers24 HB User
Unhappy Kidney Surgery. Likely full Nephrectomy. Most likely Malignant. What can I expect.

About 6 weeks ago, I went to the ER with severe stomach pain. This was most likely the result of taking the supplement/drug Kava Kava leading to gastritis. During that incident, I had a CAT scan that showed a possible neoplasm that a follow-up MRI confirmed as a complex 4.1CM cyst in the middle of the kidney. I have surgery scheduled 16 days from now but won't talk with the surgeon until about 6 days before the surgery. Not sure if a partial Nephrectomy will be possible given that the cyst is near the middle of the kidney and main blood vessel.

My questions are to others who have had or known someone who had a Nephrectomy for kidney cancer.

Is it likely that a 4.1cm Mass has spread somewhere even though imaging does not show any nearby organs in the abdomen or pelvic region impacted?

Will surgery likely eliminate the cancer or should I expect a likely recurrence later?

Will there be a lot of pain and a long recovery?

Can the doctor be sure the other kidney is functioning well enough to make up for the loss of the other kidney?

I know a lot of these questions can't be answered with certainty. I am scared out of my mind. I don't want to die at this age but I also want to prepare myself. The survival statistics look good for small cysts, but any experience based cases you can provide will help me know what my future may look like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
GypsumGrl
(female)

GypsumGrl HB User
Re: Kidney Surgery. Likely full Nephrectomy. Most likely Malignant. What can I expect

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I can't give you any info on the cancer portion of the issue, but I can tell you what it's like to have the surgery. I just had mine a few days ago. I needed removal due to an atrophic kidney in the right. So far, things have been ok. The pain isn't so bad. I've had worse pain with childbirth. But, it does hurt quite a bit. Staying on top of it with the pain meds is the best advice I can offer. Relaxing on a sofa or reclining surface will be best. It's too difficult to lay down flat. I hope all goes well for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #3
lady1954
(female)

lady1954 HB Userlady1954 HB User
Re: Kidney Surgery. Likely full Nephrectomy. Most likely Malignant. What can I expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by payers24 View Post
About 6 weeks ago, I went to the ER with severe stomach pain. This was most likely the result of taking the supplement/drug Kava Kava leading to gastritis. During that incident, I had a CAT scan that showed a possible neoplasm that a follow-up MRI confirmed as a complex 4.1CM cyst in the middle of the kidney. I have surgery scheduled 16 days from now but won't talk with the surgeon until about 6 days before the surgery. Not sure if a partial Nephrectomy will be possible given that the cyst is near the middle of the kidney and main blood vessel.

My questions are to others who have had or known someone who had a Nephrectomy for kidney cancer.

Is it likely that a 4.1cm Mass has spread somewhere even though imaging does not show any nearby organs in the abdomen or pelvic region impacted?

Will surgery likely eliminate the cancer or should I expect a likely recurrence later?

Will there be a lot of pain and a long recovery?

Can the doctor be sure the other kidney is functioning well enough to make up for the loss of the other kidney?

I know a lot of these questions can't be answered with certainty. I am scared out of my mind. I don't want to die at this age but I also want to prepare myself. The survival statistics look good for small cysts, but any experience based cases you can provide will help me know what my future may look like.
I was diagnosed with a 4.5 centimeter neoplasm that turned out to be a renal oncocytoma. A biopsy was done to rule out cancer and it's being monitored by my urologist. Before the biopsy, I was told that I had an 85-92% chance of it being cancer. I was lucky!
I can understand why you have to have surgery, but are they actually removing the kidney for a complex cyst? I was told that my tumor will probably continue to grow, but a partial nephrectomy would be done to preserve the kidney. I'd be getting a 2nd opinion.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
oldcar
(male)

oldcar HB User

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and problems. My wife encountered a seemingly similar situation about 12 years ago when a work up for gall bladder problems disclosed a malignancy on one of her kidneys. She had the tumor and roughly one third of the kidney removed. She remained cancer free for 10 years thereafter. She passed away in 2015 due to cardiac issues. But I have no reason to believe this was in any way related to her kidney issues.

Each case is undoubtedly different. But I can vouch for the fact that this type of cancer can be survived. The worst part about the ordeal was, I believe, the necessity of having yearly post-op work ups to verify the cancer had not returned. But hers never did.

Wishing you the very best,

Jim

Last edited by oldcar; 05-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
cancer, kidney