It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Diagnosed CKD Stage 2

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
    lin14534
    (female)

lin14534 HB User
    Diagnosed CKD Stage 2

I was just looking on my heath summaries online from my dr, and was shocked to see that along with my bp issues, it also states CKD stage 2 (mild)!! My dr didn't even mention this at my checkup. I haven't slept in two nights as I'm so worried and distraught. I also have health anxiety and this has pushed me to the limit. Any advice please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
    syracusa

syracusa HB User
    Re: Diagnosed CKD Stage 2

Sorry - it posted twice.

Last edited by syracusa; 05-14-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Double post

Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
    syracusa

syracusa HB User

Oh, good Lord, how I can relate!!!

I remain flabbergasted and shocked (fighting major related anxiety and depression) at how drs. can virtually ignore something their own peers/community decided to label as basically "lethal" back in 2002 when they came up with this classification of CKD.

On the one hand there is an avalanche of doom and gloom on this condition on the Net. Invariably progressive - you die early of a heart attack or end up in ESRD.

On the other hand, you get shrugs from drs. when you ask them about the e-GFR.
    Unless it's close to ESRD!

How is this even possible? !!!!

I discovered mine dropped from 98 to 77 two years ago a few months after I recovered from an episode of pneumonia.
    I say "discovered" because I am a major health vigilante (suffered from severe health anxiety even when I had a 100% clean bill of health).
    I check each and everyone of my labs and compare them to previous year results when they return for the annual check up.

That summer (2015) pcp told me "all labs in range, normal liver and kidney function, everything looks good, have a fantastic day!"

But seeing the change in eGFR from 98 to 77, I was rather intrigued and probed.
    She said "it's normal, it can change with age, could be some dehydration too, etc".

And this is how my descent towards horrific anxiety and depression began: with pcp saying I am FANTASTIC!

I started reading and could not understand how come a value of 90 is still a "disease", never mind 60-89 where I now fell!

I read everything and asked her to re-test - she said no.
    I ran to the consumer lab to do a spot urine test on my own (to exclude kidney damage) and it came back fine(negative).
    I breathed but remained slightly uncomfortable.

I te-tested on my own 3 months later and e-GFR had returned to 86, but still not back in the 90's (normal), where I was supposed to be at my age.
    And still stage 2, if kidney damage was present.
    I waited another year assuming all is fine, given no sign of damage, but I remained alert.

Next year on my annual e-GFR was now 75. I asked to see a nephrologist, she said "I don't need to" and I said "I do".

Nephrology found some very low proteinuria (around 200 mg/24h) and e-GFR in the low 80's. His verdict:
    "Your kidneys are not perfect but they will last you another 90 years (I obviously assumed hyperbole). Recent follow-up with neohro showed normal protein for a split 24 h collection.
    Nephro concluded "no CKD, nothing wrong with your kidney at this point" - but he keeps calling me back for follow up (to ensure against progression).

The "at this point" part left me in doubt, horrible anxiety, fear that it WILL become CKD as soon of my protein goes up even a tad bit.

I am no longer the same whole, sane, normally happy human being I used to be before this discovery which, had it been up to my pcp, would have never been identified until eGFR would hit very low levels. If it does - which I pray everty second it never will.

Did you ask how she diagnosed CKD?

Did she identify kidney damage in any particular way? An e-GFR 60-89 does not qualify as "kidney damage" by itself.
    Protein in urine or structural damage on ultra sound?
    Without these, you cannot be officially diagnosed with CKD.

I now know WAY more about this disease/condition/whatever it is than I ever wished I would.

The fact that they have NOTHING for it is beyond terrifying.

The diet is excruciating (animal protein stresses the kidney, carbs increase blood sugar which is huge danger for the kidneys". Between rock and a hard spot.
    Then eat what?

I hope you get more uplifting answers from someone else here - but I DO hope I helped, just in case your dr. did NOT test for kidney damage and labeled you CKD 2 only based on your e-GFR.
    Maybe your HBP made her to that - but this is still not a diagnostic criteria.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
    lin14534
    (female)

lin14534 HB User

Thanks for your reply...when I checked my labs, I showed negative for protein in urine and I had a kidney ultrasound a year ago and he told me it was good. I guess he diagnosed it due to BUN/creatinine ratio? I'm on a med for bp, my cholesterol is 210 and my a1c is 5.6. The bad part to me is he didn't mention anything about it - I would have liked some info on diet etc. Health anxiety is the worst!! I can so relate!!

Old 05-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
    syracusa

syracusa HB User

I am sorry but BUN/creatinine ration on its own is not a criterion for CKD stage 2.
    What was your creatinine level? And BUN?

If there is anything that determined your PCP to label CKD 2 - it must be your HBP.
    But again, this is still NOT technically correct for diagnosis CKD stage 2.

As I said...at this point, I know WAY more about this condition than I ever wish I did. I read so many medical articles published in specialty journals (not media on the Internet) and I am trained in the scientific methods (with a PhD and some publications in peer-reviewed journals with a medical component).

By no means do I claim to know anywhere close to an MD, let alone one who actually sees you and understands your overall clinical picture; but I DO understand science.

As I know what incredible suffering health anxiety can cause, I would suggest you contact back your pcp and question him about the dx, considering you have no protein in urine and a good ultra-sound. Ask him what caused him to apply this diagnosis and if it is indeed CKD, why he did not inform you. You need to hear more from him. This is not the kind of thing you can be left in the dark about.

His practice of slapping the label in your records but not even drawing your attention to it is questionable, to say the least. If he is not responsive, change him.

There is also the controversy taking place in the medical community right now about over-diagnosis and how CKD is one of the most over-diagnosed conditions out there, especially for stages 1 and 2.

PCP-s themselves often do not seem to understand the condition very well. Some experts argue that many of these diagnoses are actual identification of risk factors, not an actual disease.

When you did the urinalysis, was it spot urine (one random sample) or did he have you do a 24 h collection?

Last edited by syracusa; 05-15-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
    cherylww
    (female)

cherylww HB User

I'm so glad I found this thread! My eGFR has been 85-87 for at least 4 years that I know of. I don't know what it was before that, but when I looked up normal GFR levels online, terror began to set in. I asked my doctor if I should be on a kidney diet, and she said it would probably be good to be on one. I didn't ask anything after that, because I don't think she can actually do anything unless my GFR is below 60. Ugh! I hate it. I want healthy kidneys in case either one of my 2 kids with type 1 diabetes need one of mine (if I were a match) one day. I'm 53 and in pretty good health otherwise, but not knowing what a real "normal" GFR is, is a bit scary. Other than occasional iron deficiency my other blood work seems normal.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
    lady1954
    (female)

lady1954 HB Userlady1954 HB User

I think everyone needs to realize that eGFR varies depending on hydration.
    I have had kidney stones, a kidney stent and three lithotripsies. I also have a kidney tumor (benign, so far). I am also a diabetic and have high blood pressure. Both are well controlled. However, at the start, my eGFR was 88. After the lithotripsies, it dropped down to 59. Then was back up to 62. Most recently, it's 57.
    My husband suffers from congestive heart failure and end stage emphysema.
    It's a lot to handle, but I'm determined to live each day as it comes and try to get the most out of whatever time I/we have left!
    I always think there are others out there that are worse off than we are...and there are!
    It's alright to be concerned about health issues, but not to the point of causing so much stress, which makes your health issues worse!
    National kidney foundation and my urologist recommend moderation in everything and the DASH diet which is full of fresh fruits and veggies!

Old 08-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
    lin14534
    (female)

lin14534 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
    Oh, good Lord, how I can relate!!!

I remain flabbergasted and shocked (fighting major related anxiety and depression) at how drs. can virtually ignore something their own peers/community decided to label as basically "lethal" back in 2002 when they came up with this classification of CKD.

On the one hand there is an avalanche of doom and gloom on this condition on the Net. Invariably progressive - you die early of a heart attack or end up in ESRD.

On the other hand, you get shrugs from drs. when you ask them about the e-GFR.
    Unless it's close to ESRD!

How is this even possible? !!!!

I discovered mine dropped from 98 to 77 two years ago a few months after I recovered from an episode of pneumonia.
    I say "discovered" because I am a major health vigilante (suffered from severe health anxiety even when I had a 100% clean bill of health).
    I check each and everyone of my labs and compare them to previous year results when they return for the annual check up.

That summer (2015) pcp told me "all labs in range, normal liver and kidney function, everything looks good, have a fantastic day!"

But seeing the change in eGFR from 98 to 77, I was rather intrigued and probed.
    She said "it's normal, it can change with age, could be some dehydration too, etc".

And this is how my descent towards horrific anxiety and depression began: with pcp saying I am FANTASTIC!

I started reading and could not understand how come a value of 90 is still a "disease", never mind 60-89 where I now fell!

I read everything and asked her to re-test - she said no.
    I ran to the consumer lab to do a spot urine test on my own (to exclude kidney damage) and it came back fine(negative).
    I breathed but remained slightly uncomfortable.

I te-tested on my own 3 months later and e-GFR had returned to 86, but still not back in the 90's (normal), where I was supposed to be at my age.
    And still stage 2, if kidney damage was present.
    I waited another year assuming all is fine, given no sign of damage, but I remained alert.

Next year on my annual e-GFR was now 75. I asked to see a nephrologist, she said "I don't need to" and I said "I do".

Nephrology found some very low proteinuria (around 200 mg/24h) and e-GFR in the low 80's. His verdict:
    "Your kidneys are not perfect but they will last you another 90 years (I obviously assumed hyperbole). Recent follow-up with neohro showed normal protein for a split 24 h collection.
    Nephro concluded "no CKD, nothing wrong with your kidney at this point" - but he keeps calling me back for follow up (to ensure against progression).

The "at this point" part left me in doubt, horrible anxiety, fear that it WILL become CKD as soon of my protein goes up even a tad bit.

I am no longer the same whole, sane, normally happy human being I used to be before this discovery which, had it been up to my pcp, would have never been identified until eGFR would hit very low levels. If it does - which I pray everty second it never will.

Did you ask how she diagnosed CKD?

Did she identify kidney damage in any particular way? An e-GFR 60-89 does not qualify as "kidney damage" by itself.
    Protein in urine or structural damage on ultra sound?
    Without these, you cannot be officially diagnosed with CKD.

I now know WAY more about this disease/condition/whatever it is than I ever wished I would.

The fact that they have NOTHING for it is beyond terrifying.

The diet is excruciating (animal protein stresses the kidney, carbs increase blood sugar which is huge danger for the kidneys". Between rock and a hard spot.
    Then eat what?

I hope you get more uplifting answers from someone else here - but I DO hope I helped, just in case your dr. did NOT test for kidney damage and labeled you CKD 2 only based on your e-GFR.
    Maybe your HBP made her to that - but this is still not a diagnostic criteria.
    Siracusa - how are you? Haven't seen you've posted lately...

Old 05-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

I know this is an older post, but I have seen questionable things on my labs too. I review them and compare from past labs. You have to stay on top of things absolutely.
    I noticed on an older lab from a couple of years ago my GFR dipped slightly below normal at 59. Was this brought to my attention no. Everything looked good said the doctor. I noticed my wbc ran on the higher side of normal and I asked my doctor if I should be concerned about that and he said no.
    I don't always trust the answers my doctors give me espically now in my mid 40's. If something is off or out of whack tell me don't shrug it off. I had a full panel of labs done today plus some others for gout and inflamation and you better believe I will review them. I have been having foot pain and swelling in both feet which is not normal for me.
    It's been about 2 years since I have had a full panel of labs done so I am curious to see how my body is doing. I know something isn't right. You know that gut feeling you get. Your body will tell you when things aren't working together.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User

Doctors usually don't even mention that you have kidney disease unless you are at stage 3 or worse. That is standand practice. I also have stage 2 and my doctor has never brought it up.

Reply Reply