It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

Worried About Confusing eGFR Results

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
veronica0303
(female)

veronica0303 HB User
Worried About Confusing eGFR Results

I canít make sense of my eGFR blood test numbers. They seem to be all over the place. I donít know if this is something I should be concerned about, but since I have a really good case of health anxiety, Iím freaking out.

Iím a soon to be 43 year old Caucasian female. No high blood pressure or diabetes, but blood pressure and glucose are at the higher end of the healthy range. These are my eGFR and creatinine numbers:

July 2014 (Internal medicine physical) eGFR 80/creatinine .8 ... Non-fasting

August 2017 (GYN physical) eGFR 106/creatinine .62 ... 12+ hour fasting

November 2017 (Internal medicine physical) eGFR 69/creatinine .9 ... Non-fasting

My Internal medicine physician assured me that everything was in normal range and I had nothing to be concerned about at this time, but the widely varying numbers and the fact that 69 seems on the low end of the range for my age has me very, very concerned. She has suggested I simply push water and go in for another blood draw and BMP in ten days.

Can any of you with more kidney disease knowledge and experience tell me if itís normal to see such variation? Can fasting make such a difference? My doctor mentioned hydration. I know I hadnít had much at all to drink on the day of my last test. I had also eaten a lot of tuna, as well as cheese, eggs and bacon on the day of the low number test. Could that have had an effect on my creatinine?

This worry is eating me up. My husband has diabetes that he doesnít control at all. We have three little girls. I need to be the healthy one!

Last edited by veronica0303; 12-11-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
Re: Worried About Confusing eGFR Results

I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you that you need not be concerned unless your GFR number keeps going down and is under 60. Then he could discuss reasons and tests to find out why and maybe give you some things to do to increase it. Since your numbers seem to go up and down he probably thinks you are OK. Mine is in the low 60s and has been there for 3 years but that is normal with aging. Your number has to be real low before your kidneys don't function right. If your lowest is near 70, it sounds good to me. Try not to worry and just keep staying healthy.

The Following User Says Thank You to 52ken For This Useful Post:
veronica0303 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
veronica0303
(female)

veronica0303 HB User

Thank you, Ken. She did reasseure me that my numbers are all normal. She also said that fluctuations are normal and that the test results are influenced by diet, hydration, activity and fasting. Iím certain sheís sending me for a retest for my peace of mind. If I were to average my scores, Iíd be comfortable with that number. Itís the swings - baseline of 80, up 26, down 37 - that have me worried. Of course Iíve searched the internet, and I see that smaller fluctuations of +\-10 or so is common, but fluctuations of +\-20 to 30 arenít so common.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica0303 View Post
Thank you, Ken. She did reasseure me that my numbers are all normal. She also said that fluctuations are normal and that the test results are influenced by diet, hydration, activity and fasting. Iím certain sheís sending me for a retest for my peace of mind. If I were to average my scores, Iíd be comfortable with that number. Itís the swings - baseline of 80, up 26, down 37 - that have me worried. Of course Iíve searched the internet, and I see that smaller fluctuations of +\-10 or so is common, but fluctuations of +\-20 to 30 arenít so common.

You are welcome. With your numbers there is no reason to worry. I can see the doctor and you are working together to keep things right.

The Following User Says Thank You to 52ken For This Useful Post:
veronica0303 (12-12-2017)
Reply Reply