It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Fluctuating eGFR

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
    Babsie4826
    (female)

Babsie4826 HB User
    Fluctuating eGFR

Hello, I am a type 2 diabetic. Went to an endo doctor who put me on
    farxiga. My eGFR was 50 at the start but after 6 weeks on the
    drug went to 38. I was so upset but the doctor was not at all concerned.
    I then returned to my internist who told me to quit that drug and go back on my Metformin and Tradjenta. Within 6 weeks my eGFR went to 48. Then after 6 week my doctor wanted to check it again and today he told me it went
    down to 38. I was shocked and very scared. He referred to to a
    neurologist but they can't see me for 6 weeks. This situation is causing me awful anxiety as my blood sugar and blood pressure are both good. I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance for reading this. Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Fluctuating eGFR

Why he is referring you to a neurologist and not a nephrologist (A kidney doctor)? What is a neurologist supposed to do for your kidneys?

Assuming you actually meant a nephrologist- I just had to see one for the first time in my life as well...my BUN and Creatinine were all over the place...it was determined mine went wacky from a drug I was on- and after 6 weeks of being off of it, its now stabilized. The doctor will probably have you do a 24 hour catch, where you track your output (pee) for 24 hours in a jug, they can then measure how much and what is in it including if your creatinine is within normal levels.

Try not be worried until you know if you have something to be worried about. It is not uncommon for drugs like Farxiga to stay in your system for awhile and skew your test results.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
    Babsie4826
    (female)

Babsie4826 HB User

Thanks so much. Yes, he has referred me to a nephrologist! I was so worried and so stressed out all day. Your reply gave me some relief and maybe I will be able to sleep tonight. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. My appointment is not until February 26. They are totally booked.
    Barbara

Old 01-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Barbara call them today and ask to be put on the cancellation list. If someone cancels, they can call and get you in sooner....

You shouldn't be worried at this time. There is absolutely nothing to worry about until there is....and there is a good chance that there ISNT- so dont waste the energy right now. Concentrate on feeling good and celebrating the positive test results you have received!

Let us know what happens once you see the doctor.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
    Babsie4826
    (female)

Babsie4826 HB User

Oh Thanks so much. Your kindness is making some of my anxiety go away. My mind was going to the worst case scenario. Now, I will heed your advice and hopefully be more positive. You are a really nice person. I am on the cancellation list already but I will call again on Monday. Just know you made a difference in someone's life.

The following user gives a hug of support to Babsie4826:
    MSNik (01-12-2019)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Babsie4826 For This Useful Post:
    MSNik (01-12-2019)
    Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
    bioniceye
    (male)

bioniceye HB User

Hi, I have polycystic kidney disease, my GFR 33 has steadily decreased over the years from normal down to 31. My cousin, a Type 2 diabetic has PKD also. He and I had the same GFR a few years ago. Then he took the drugs they prescribed for the Diabetes and his GFR went down to 13. He found out those drugs are bad for Kidneys.
    I met a person where I worked whose mom had GFR of 13. Her and her husband put her on the Ketogenic diet and in a matter of months she went back up to normal. I decided to try the diet and my GFR went from 31 to 33 after 6 weeks. Not a lot, but I have a serious Kidney disease and any upward change is great to me.
    All that to say there are a lot of harmful drugs being used now days. Diet can be much more helpful than drugs - there are people who were type 2 diabetics who went on the Keto diet and were Not diabetic after 6 months. You might check the Keto diet out, it is quite helpful for many.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 AM   #7
    Babsie4826
    (female)

Babsie4826 HB User

I am so, so sorry you have this polycystic kidney disease. Even though you are suffering you are good enough to answer me!!! What a dear person. I think you are correct! I think it is my diabetic medicine causing me these problems with my eGFR. I appreciate your input as I have been in a deep state of anxiety and depression. I have always been such happy person. Very outgoing and a volunteer at the hospital. After this diagnosis it made me feel so different and scared. I know you must relate to this. I hope they can give you the proper treatment to improve your condition. You are so caring and having any illness can really put a damper on things. Once again, thanks. I wish you all the best in the future.
    Barb

Old 02-27-2019, 05:47 AM   #8
    Babsie4826
    (female)

Babsie4826 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Barbara call them today and ask to be put on the cancellation list. If someone cancels, they can call and get you in sooner....

You shouldn't be worried at this time. There is absolutely nothing to worry about until there is....and there is a good chance that there ISNT- so dont waste the energy right now. Concentrate on feeling good and celebrating the positive test results you have received!

Let us know what happens once you see the doctor.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
    Babsie4826
    (female)

Babsie4826 HB User

Hello, You asked me to reply once I saw the nephrologist. Well, I saw her yesterday and it was not encouraging. I kept trying to ask her if my eGFR would go back up. She was very kind, but kept evading the issue. I was in a state when I left. I have to have 9 vials of blood drawn at the hospital and also a kidney ultrasound!! When I asked her if there is anything to do to help myself she told me to avoid salt and drink lots of water. As I am diabetic I just don't have a clue what I should be eating. This ordeal is frightening. Thanks for your kind and giving support. I go back in one month for results. I don't know much more now than I did before but I saw she wrote CKD Stage 3. I heard she is an excellent doctor. Again thanks for taking your valuable time to offer encouragement. Send you all lots of hugs and hope you are well. Babsie

Last edited by Administrator; 02-27-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Reply Reply