It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Calcium Oxalate Crystals

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
    babygirl127
    (female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
    Calcium Oxalate Crystals

First time I have seen Calcium Oxalate Crystals on a test result.
    Can someone tell me what this means on a yearly urinalysis?
    My general practitioner says yes you have kidney stones.
    I have also read that it means kidney stones may form from the crystals.
    I have had a kidney stone in 2012, not sure what kind, because by the time I saw a urologist it was a done deal. Then I had ct scan, ultrasound and cystoscope tests. Found nothing.
    I need to find a new urologist since mine has retired.
    For the past few years I have been drinking lots of water with lemon. I do not drink iced tea, I do have a cup of green tea at night daily, but that is it.
    I hear you have to avoid a bunch of foods to not have more kidney stones. I have been eating real healthy to lower my high cholesterol. I eat nuts, almonds then most recently switched to walnuts, thought a healthy snack instead of chips or pretzels. But now I read nuts are bad. I also was taking daily cranberry pill to help with occasional uti. So I threw them out, just heard that is bad too. I eat spinach once in a while. So I see all the foods to avoid in high oxalate. Do you all follow those guidelines strictly and been successful. Between watching what to eat for cholesterol now kidney stones I am not a happy camper.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Calcium Oxalate Crystals

Crystals are what make up stones.. so if you have crystals, they will probably form into stones unless you can find a way to flush them out. Lots and lots of water is the only way I know how..

As for the foods, everything you read is going to have negative and positive responses... just eat everything in moderation. Walnuts are great for your cholesterol as they are healthy fats, but a serving is like 12 walnuts..not a handful.

Almonds are terrific too as they have brain boosting ingredients.

Its fine to eat spinach a few times a week, as in a salad or as a side dish cooked, but I wouldnt eat it daily.

You do need to find a new urologist and talk to them- some people are just more prone to develop kidney stones than others...but your best bet is to increase your water intake as much as possible.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
    babygirl127
    (female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
    Re: Calcium Oxalate Crystals

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Crystals are what make up stones.. so if you have crystals, they will probably form into stones unless you can find a way to flush them out. Lots and lots of water is the only way I know how..

As for the foods, everything you read is going to have negative and positive responses... just eat everything in moderation. Walnuts are great for your cholesterol as they are healthy fats, but a serving is like 12 walnuts..not a handful.

Almonds are terrific too as they have brain boosting ingredients.

Its fine to eat spinach a few times a week, as in a salad or as a side dish cooked, but I wouldnt eat it daily.

You do need to find a new urologist and talk to them- some people are just more prone to develop kidney stones than others...but your best bet is to increase your water intake as much as possible.
    Thank you for your response. I will find a new doctor I need to know what to do next. in the meantime I will drink lots of water. The thought of getting another one scares me. I already have a few symptoms.

Reply Reply