It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Having surgery for non painful stones. Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
    Having surgery for non painful stones. Help!

From October till November, I was dealing with 2-3 kidney stones. Then, i for sure, passed 1 and later on, i believe i passed a 2nd one. I was never given a strainer and so, i'm basically only going by the things i saw in my urine after i used the bathroom. After that, i was feeling better, no more pain, but once in a while, I would feel a sharp pain down below, almost like something was at my vaginal hole. That would last maybe 5-15 minutes and usually i would feel a dull soreness that advil or if needed, my medication of vicodin would cure up.

So, I went to the urologist just about 3 weeks ago and 3 weeks before that, he sent me out for a CAT scan, which said, I still had a stone in my urethra. These results are 6 weeks old and i'm scheduled for this wednesday to have surgery to remove the stone and have a stent put in me for a couple of days.

But, here's the thing, I'm not feeling any pain anymore. The only time I even know my pelvic area is alive is when I drink tons of water and i feel the pressure to go, and this i know is because i just finished drinking 3 glasses of water in 10 minutes. I don't feel the sharp pain in my hole area, i seldom feel any dull soreness, once in awhile I still feel that, but it's so mild that i dont' even need to take a medication for it. it's been literally 10 days since the last time i took even tylenol. It's been about 12 days since i last took a prescription medication.

So, what i want to know is, i don't know if i've passed the stone or not. again, don't have a strainer and i know it's gross, but i've been going in a bowl and looking to see if i see anything. right now, i've been drinking so much water, my urine is clear, has no yellow color to it at all.

I want to do another CAT scan or any test really. i want to postpone this surgery and have another test done. part of me believes, i have passed the stone, part of me thinks the reason i'm wanting to postpone is because i'm paranoid about the surgery. But, I want to talk to my urologist and see if we can either postpone the surgery a week or so and do another test or have another test done before wednesday at 3:45pm.

I am paranoid about the surgery. I read on here about someone who was freaking out and I'm to the point of having panic attacks over it. It's not the surgery i'm worried about, because in my mind, i know this is a routine procedure. It's being put to sleep that has me torn to pieces inside. I am so scaried of that and it doesn't help that i went online and found a stat that said there are problems in 1 of 13,000 cases where general anasethic was used. Yes, I know, bad decision to find that out. Saturday morning, I cried for hours and told my boyfriend, i refuse to do the surgery. I'm trying to calm myself down. I told myself, if i still do have the surgery on wednesday, then tuesday night i will stay up late and just watch funny movies all night long. nothing depressing, just things that will make me laugh.

anyways, since there is no pain, what is the risks of postponing the surgery? would anyone know this? i know my urologist mentioned kidney failure, but i don't know if he was referring to me in particular or if he was just saying, stuck stones lead to kidney failure. i know, my stone is in my urethra and is supposed to be able to pass out of me, so this is also why i want another test.

i'm so confused. do i do the surgery and just pray i come out ok, do i postpone the surgery and try to have another test done, or do i postpone the surgery and then risk kidney failure. i mean, how long does it take before kidney failure? this also worries me. i have no idea how long it takes for a stone to cause failure.

ok, i realize this message is mostly me rambling and being afraid, but anything anyone has to say, advice, kind words, anything, would be helpful at this point.

thank you for listening,
    Charlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    Re: Having surgery for non painful stones. Help!

Well do you have a story to tell yet? Inquiring minds want to know?

Old 01-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
    Re: Having surgery for non painful stones. Help!

my surgery is in about 3 hours...we're going to be leaving here in about an hour or so. hospital is only 10 minutes away. been having breakdowns all day, didn't get to sleep in as late as i wanted. i really wanted to sleep in till 11am, take a shower, and then just chill out. was up around 7:30, went back to sleep, got up around 8 something and just tossed and turned till around 9am.

my surgery is still a go. i thought last night it might have been postponed for a few weeks, because my CBC came back saying i'm still severly anemic, but i guess since the procedure probably won't have me losing a ton of blood, they aren't that concerned about that. i guess it would have been postponed if it was something where tons of blood was just coming out of me.

my doctor said i need to talk to the anesthologist about being kept awake but numbed. so, my feeling is, since my doctor said to talk it over with that person, then i'm guess he's not 100% against me being awake. i mean, if he was completely against me being awake, he would have said, i have to be asleep, but he said to talk it over with the other doctor. i mean, if a person is having such anxiety over it and you truly can keep them awake, why would you not let them have their wishes and stay awake, right?

anyways...i'll write more in a day or 2 when i come home and i'm up to feeling OK to come online. from what i'm told, tonight i'm just going to want to come home and sleep, so i guess tomorrow i should be feeling a little less like i was in lala land.

i hope your surgery goes well too on friday.

i was close to cancelling mine today, but the nurse said, if i cancelled, then that usually leads to a visit to the ER and my boyfriend said he wants me to do this now and not have to take me to the ER. so i'm doing it. but they should be doing an x-ray on me...so we will see if i still even have a stone. honestly, i would love to find out i passed the stone and all this worrying was for nothing!!!

wish me luck too that if i didn't pass it and i do have the surgery, that i am awake!!!!

Closed Thread