It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• How long does the surgery take?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
    How long does the surgery take?

I believe i'm having Ureteroscopy for the removal of a stone stuck in my urethra. I know my urologist said to allow the room for 90 minutes, but was wondering, does the surgery really take 90 minutes? If it doesn't, roughly, how long would it take for the removal and stent placement? I'm just wondering, so that i have an idea how long to expect being knocked out.

also, is being knocked out scary? this is my fear over the surgery....i'm cool with the surgery, but being completely knocked out scares me. Does anyone know if they can use a local on me instead?

thanks,
    Charlene (a very whimpy female!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    Re: How long does the surgery take?

I hear it takes 30-45 minutes depending on how far down the ureter the stone is. My doc booked the room for 70 minutes according to the hospital.

I understand they can use a spinal/regional antistetic, which just numbs you from the waist down. But of course you would be awake if they did this. I do not know if they let you choose or not. I suspect they recommend one type but if you insist you might talk them into regional.

My procedure is friday morning at 9am, when is yours?

Very scared, wimpy male.

Last edited by farscape66; 01-05-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User

hi!

my surgery is this wednesday, jan. 7th at 3:45pm. i wish it would have been a morning surgery, really don't want to spend most of the day dwelling on it. my boyfriend and i will sleep in....i'm planning to stay up as late as i can tuesday night and then try to sleep in till at least 10am...give me time to take a shower and just maybe watch a movie. i have to be there at 2pm.

i had my pre-op today...turns out i'm having more done than i thought, but nothing overly major. i'm having the cyst scope done to find the stone, then x-rays, then laser, and the urethroscopy, and the stent. the stent isn't as scary as i thought....and my doctor only wants it in for a couple of days, so that is good. i just hope to get an appointment to get it removed.

i'm taking off from work from tuesday to tuesday, but depending on the stent pain, i might go back sooner than that if the stent isn't removed. i really dont' like the idea of using most of my sick days from work right now in the first month. so, if i can, i'll try to go back to work by monday, even if it's just a few hours, my boss understands what's going on.

i had thought i passed the stone last week though. i'm not straining, was never given a strainer, so i urinate into a plastic bowl and try to look into it. i saw something in there, but apparently, it was nothing. i still have a dull sensation. i notice, when i do urinate and it's not a full bladder, i tend to feel a little sore, but when the bladder is full, i'm fine. weird.

my doctor has reserved the room for 90 minutes and from what the nurse today at the pre-op said, it should take the full 90 minutes and then about an hour of to wake up.

i just can't see it taking 90 minutes, especially since this is such a routine surgery. that's like saying, it'll take 30 minutes to find the stone and x-ray it, 30 minutes to laser it and remove and 30 minutes to put the stent in....of course, i'm not a doctor, but still, from what i understand, it just doesn't seem this could take 90 minutes.

i am being put to sleep though....i'm still nervous, but i'm working on that. my boyfriend said, considering i'm not allegric to anything, then that is good and that being put to sleep won't be a big deal. he keeps telling me over and over, that his mom did this a few times, his grandparents did, friends of ours, but still....i've never been to the hospital other than when both my parents died. i know that is why i'm so nervous....after losing both my parents....19 when mom died, 28 when dad died last year.....i know that makes me a little more nervous, but i guess all i can say is, whatever happens, happens. i'm putting my faith in God and i keep praying....so that is all i can do.

i read your posts about thinking of not doing the surgery....believe me, i can relate.....i told my boyfriend tonight, if i still feel scaried, i really want to cancel it. i would probably try to do it again in febuary...at least wait till after my 30th birthday at the end of the month....but i can relate. why are you nervous? you nervous about being to sleep or about the surgery itself? i hope all goes well for you. think of it like this....life in general is never as bad as we think.

if you want to talk....you can....cause i understand how you feel....so, i just hope all goes well for you as well. and once your surgery is done, make sure you tell me how it went and i'll tell you how mine went too.

Charlene (a whimpy female who is starting to calm down, but still whimpy!)

Old 01-06-2004, 06:11 AM   #4
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Still trying to decide if I should cancel. Considering looking for an expert at this particular surgery to be sure I have the best chance. My doctor has a good reputation but I recently found one that is supposed to be the best in the Washington DC area. But he cant see me till late Jan or Early Feb.
    ____
    Please post how your surgery goes? Is is outpatient?

Mike R.
    <still wimpy, scared, male>

Old 01-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
    checkmate

checkmate HB User

Charlene: My wife said I was in surgery about 45 min. when surgeon came out to talk to her, to tell her everything was fine. Don't recall how long it took me to figure out which way was up following surgery, but believe it was maybe one to two hours. Did alot of sleeping, so time is kind of fuzzy. As far as being put to sleep, I was somewhat disappointed. I'm the type of person that likes to know what is going on. After getting on table and gown loosened, oxygen mask was put on, and that is the last thing I remember. Like most things in life, the anticipation of the event is always much greater than the event itself. I'm sure you will do fine. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Was your surgery outpatient as well?

Old 01-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User

well, the countdown is pretty much on. about 28 hours till the surgery. i was told, chances are, it won't start on time, so it's supposed to be 3:45pm, but i guess it might not happen till 4 or 4:30pm.

i called my urologist, left a message, asking if they will do an x-ray before the surgery to verify the stone is still there. i heard some people say they do and some people say they don't, but considering my cat scan results this is being based on, are about 6 weeks old, i really hope they do an x-ray. would be nice to be told, yup, stone is gone, go home.

i also asked if they will do a local on me and not knock me out. i had to leave him a voice mail, so i hope he calls me back soon and says yes to both an x-ray and local. towards the end of the voice mail, i started to cry....i'm truly a whimp.

and i feel horrible for being such a whimp, especially when i see kids on the news who are having life threatening surgery or kids who are in the hospital and they are so brave, don't have a care in the world. me, i'm a big baby who is afraid to be put to sleep for a couple of hours.

my boyfriend told me, he understands my fear of being put to sleep and then went on about who in his family went to sleep and how many times, but it still makes me scaried. even people at work told me, they would rather be asleep than be awake, but i want to be awake.

one of my friends was given the option of being awake or asleep, he did it both. first time he had this done, he was awake, second time, he was asleep. he's had 4 kidney stones in his life time.

i don't know....i'm torn about what to do, really i am. i am afraid, if i do cancel, then suddenly, i'll be feeling 10 times worse than i do now. right now, i don't really feel anything, except once in a blue moon, it'll feel sore when i urinate. that i've noticed, seems to be when my bladder isn't that full or i haven't drank a lot of water through the day. other than that, i'm not feeling anything. i know i passed one stone back in early november....and then shortly after that, i was feeling better, but then they found a 2nd stone in me. i was feeling sharp pains and i was burning every time i would urinate when the bladder wasn't full. so, i was sent to my urologist who then did the cat scan and that showed the 2nd stone. took me 3 weeks to see him though and by that time, the feelings started going away, but he wanted to do the surgery anyways.

i just hope i get the call from him saying, ok, because of your fear, we can do a local on you....if that's the case, then all this worrying was for nothing. i realize this surgery is fairly risk free, but i just want to be awake for it. i'd rather feel a little pain here and there and be awake, than to freak out completely and cancel a surgery that could lead to kidney failure if i don't do it.

but tonight, i'm watching tv and watching movies and i'm going to laugh my butt off and have a good night at home. i told myself, no more looking online for risks and complications....which is what started me being paranoid in the first place....i'm just going to take tonight and do nothing but laugh and have fun.

i just wish i knew....if the stone isn't being painful....then what are the odds it would lead to failure down the road if i did cancel this?

thanks for listening,
    Charlene....still whimpy, but still hoping to be awake!

Old 01-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Just the opposite hear, if I was awake I would freak out completly. The whole prospect freaks me out, but I am hearing most people say its not that bad at all. We can hope that is the case. Looking forward to getting it over with myself.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
    checkmate

checkmate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by farscape66
    Was your surgery outpatient as well?
    I ended up in the hospital several days before I was scheduled for surgery because of excruciating pain. Was put on IVs with morphine and had surgery done the following day. I had planned on going home that afternoon, but because of low pulse (mid 40s), and being slightly nauseated, they kept me one more night for observation. Low pulse was not caused by surgery, but rather because I have a normally low pulse, and am on meds for CAD (which drop pulse even further). Everything worked out ok and I was released the next afternoon. I really have no reservations about having it done again if the need arises. Heck of alot better than the pain I was suffering with before surgery! Hope all goes well, and keep us informed. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #10
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User

is it normal during this uretroscopy to have the following done: cystoscope to find the stone, x-rays, laser, the uretoscopy, and then stent? is this what everyone else had or is having done?

if it only takes less than an hour, i wonder why my doctor booked the room for 90 minutes?

i'm getting calmer....i found an article online about the complications associated with general and i realize, that even if the chances of something happening is 1 in 10,000, that is still a good chance in my favor....i guess i'm just completely overreacting. i'll be fine....and i'm finally starting to feel that.

although, if my doctor does give me the choice, i would still like to be awake during this, but if not, then i'll be ok. i just wonder if my doctor will let me bring a teddy bear?

Old 01-06-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

I wonder if they will let me bring my bible. Let us know if you get to stay wake. I still find being awake even more horrifying than sleep.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #12
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Really it's not a huge deal the fear and anguish and anxiety over it, are far worse than the actual procedure. worrying and stressin and all that is far worse.
    I was a wreck from all of it, but the procedure went well, even though while i was out thy had problems and thier was complications, it still went smooth.

heck if all else fails and they say it's okay take a Xanax or something for anxiety.

Worrying is the worst thing and i wish you BOTH the best and smooth sailing with your procedures. I hope all goes well and painless and recovery is smooth and brief.

Last edited by serialnovelist; 01-07-2004 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typos and spelling errors

Closed Thread