It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Is it possible to drink too much water?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
    wideawakeinaz
    (female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
    Is it possible to drink too much water?

i'm just wondering if it's possible to drink too much water. last night, in about 3 hours, i drank 2 quarts of water. i was trying to see if it would be possible to maybe pass my kidney stone so i could cancel my surgery. well, after my last glass of water, iced water....i started shake and get so cold, that my teeth couldn't stop hitting each other. i laid under 3 blankets and still felt cold.

so i was wondering, did i drink too much water? or was it possible that since it was cold inside my apartment and here i was, drinking iced cold water, that i just had a reaction to the coldness?

just wondering if anyone heard of such a thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
    Re: Is it possible to drink too much water?

I recommend room temperature water and a warmer apartment.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
    cystineman

cystineman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wideawakeinaz
    i'm just wondering if it's possible to drink too much water. last night, in about 3 hours, i drank 2 quarts of water. i was trying to see if it would be possible to maybe pass my kidney stone so i could cancel my surgery. well, after my last glass of water, iced water....i started shake and get so cold, that my teeth couldn't stop hitting each other. i laid under 3 blankets and still felt cold.

so i was wondering, did i drink too much water? or was it possible that since it was cold inside my apartment and here i was, drinking iced cold water, that i just had a reaction to the coldness?

just wondering if anyone heard of such a thing?
    Don't worry you can NOT drink too much water..sometimes i drink as much as 3 liters in 2 hours..it helped me pass a almond sized stone!! heres the key:room temp.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

Yes, you can drink too much water, and it can be fatal. This is called water intoxication. There was a guy in the military basic training a couple of years ago that died from drinking too much water.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
    cystineman

cystineman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by texjoann
    Yes, you can drink too much water, and it can be fatal. This is called water intoxication. There was a guy in the military basic training a couple of years ago that died from drinking too much water.

Ive been in and out of the hospital for almost 15 years and no doctor has ever said one thing about TOO much water as it pertains to stone patients .I would tend to doubt that it is possible unless it was because he drank too much at one time and was also losing alot!!.though I would refrain from drinking too much at one time so as not too make yourself sick on your stomach.Water intoxication most commonly affects long distance runners who take in too much water while losing too much sweat thus causing there sodium levels to drop.but unless your a marathon runner it should not be much to worry about!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:02 AM   #6
    cystineman

cystineman HB User

I believe this is what was said!

Old 03-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

I have had kidney stones too many times to tell you and I continually drink tons of water--I was told to drink at least a gallon of water a day, and I drink more than that, but not all at once. Finally found out the water where I live has too much lime as it comes from limestone aquifer. For a long time I only drank bottled water, and now have filter system in my fridge which I hope filters the water enough. If I get stones again I'll go back to bottled water. I have to make sure it is water with no added minerals. I usually drink glacia spring wter. You have to look at the labels and see where it is bottled to be sure you aren't just getting purified water from your local area. The Canadian spring waters are good and inexpensive here.

As far as water intoxication-- look it up.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:33 AM   #8
    starless

starless HB User

Hi, this is sort of a cross post as I've mentioned this on the 'alternative medicine' board, but anyhow...my mother has just told me that I am 'drinking too much water.' I have a circulatory disease and I have a problem getting rid of toxins. I always have a bit of adult acne but when I don't detox or drink enough water it flares up terribly.Lately, I have been at home writing my ph.d. dissertation while my students are on spring break, and so I've had a good opportunity to throroughly detox. I've been drinking between 3-4 litres of water a day. Two weeks ago, though, I began to feel uncomfortably bloated; I was retaining water. I've tried to cut down on my salt intake, as I love salty foods, I thought that was the problem.

A few days ago I started taking an herbal diuretic, uva ursi--I have taken it before, as part of a combination detox supplement. Uva ursi is supposed to be very good for the kidneys and bladder infections. I don't generally have bad kidneys, but I did have a stone once a few years ago. I passed it without surgery.

Last night my right kidney became dreadfully sore!! Not shooting pains or anything, but really hurting, in a muscular way. I phoned my mother to ask her advice; I thought that 'soreness' might not always be a bad thing. She said that I was drinking too much water, and that I needed to cut back and lay off of the herbal supplement. She said that too much water had overworked my kidneys. My mom is not a doctor, incidentally; she works in the field of health sciences and has a little bit of knowledge. It sounds silly to me that I could drink too much water. Could too much water cause sore kidneys?

K

Closed Thread