It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Reoccurring stones every 3 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #1
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User
    Reoccurring stones every 3 months

Hello, I am new to the board and thought I would introduce myself. I am 32 and was diagnosed with a staghorn stone on Jan. 23, 2003. This stone was expanding my right kidney and causing a lot of infections that no one bothered to look into why I was getting them. I also had a stone in my left kidney. Anyways, they ended up doing a PCN, where they inserted three tubes into my right kidney through my back. These tubes remained in me for almost 5 months. After 3 surgeries using the tubes and 3 lithotripsies, they considered me stone free. That was in May 2003, by June I had numerous stones in both kidneys and went through more lithos and an uteroscopy. This has been the deal ever since approximately ever 3 months. All the tests come back normal and they have no idea what to do for me. They are also saying that they don't see how I can be in pain when the stones are not always obstructing the kidney. I decided to see a Nephrologist and he referred me back to my Urologist because he saw all the signs of more stones. I have gotten to the point that I don't want to see any doctors, because no matter what they have me taking or doing nothing works. I also can not pass the stones on my own no matter how much I drink, I even have my husband pound on my kidneys like the doctor said to but no luck. My last surgery was Dec. 19 and guess what the stones are back already. I sorry this sounds like I am complaining, that is not my intent. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, because I feel like the doctors have given up because I am not a textbook case. The only thing that I can think of is that this is possibly genetic, because my great-aunt dealt with stones like this.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Shannon

P.S. The staghorn was 25% struvite and 75% calcium oxalate. They have not tested any other stones.

Last edited by shan_y; 03-15-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Re: Reoccurring stones every 3 months

Hi Shannon,
    I go to the uro doctor tomorrow. Not sure what he may or may not do. Depends if this is a stone or not. How are you feeling? I thought my back and flank pain had easied up some but it started up today. So we will see. Hope you are feeling ok.
    Polly

Old 03-17-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

Hi Polly,

I was suppose to go back tommorrow, but they are giving me the run around. Told me I could still see the same PA that I saw last Friday, but asked them why because she couldn't do anything for me. Now suppose to go back on the 29th. As far as how I am feeling? Feel like my body is using and abusing me, but as time goes on I am learning to deal with the pain and aches. I hope that everything goes well for you at the uro doc, and if possible that there are no stones. Wouldn't explain the pain, but would be easier in the long run.

Take care and good luck,
    Shannon

Old 03-17-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shannon,
    I hope you don't get to run around anymore. I had that happen with a nurse once. They never did let me see a doctor so I went to another doctor and that is when they took my ovary out. Not sure if I told you about that but the nurse kept saying it was my IBS and it wasn't. I understand how they try to run you around. With your pain and all and your history of stone making I would think they would know better.
    I will let you know what happens. I hope you get some relief too.
    You are in my thoughts.
    Let me know how things go.
    Thanks, Polly

Old 03-18-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shannon,
    Hope you feeling better today. Well, went to the uro doctor and he said the KUB didn't show anything but with my history of stones he said it doesnt mean I don't have one. He had me stand up and he pushed on the usual place where you hurt for stone and my back.. sure enough. He hit them all. Ouch.
    So he is having me get a CAT scan the end of the month. He asked me If I passed anything yet and I said not yet. So we will see.
    Take care, Polly

Old 03-19-2004, 04:20 AM   #6
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

Hi Polly,

Glad to see that you have a doctor that takes you seriously. Good luck with your CT scan. Sorry message is so breif, haven't had a good night or morning.

Take care,
    Shannon

Old 03-19-2004, 05:34 AM   #7
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shannon, I am sorry you didn't have a good evening or anything. You are in my thoughts . I will try to write more later today. I am at my mom's this weekend. Yes, I am glad my uro doctor takes me seriously too. Alot better than his nurse does. I wish she had really taken me seriously when I had called her two weeks ago. I think from what the doctor said KUB xrays are a waste of time.
    Hugs, Polly

Last edited by snodove; 03-19-2004 at 05:36 AM.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

Hello Polly,

Well apparently I have one that is backing up my left kidney, because I felt like screaming from the pain. Luckily, I have pain meds from last time around. This is so frustrating. Anyways, hope all is going well with you.

Shan

Old 03-20-2004, 04:14 AM   #9
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shan,
    I ,too, think my left kidney might be backing up.
    I always have trouble w/ my left side. I can't be sure but it could be. I know this might be a silly question but but how does that feel when it is backed up. My pain starts either right at my kidney under the ribs or it just is like renial colic down that side. Sometimes it is just a dull ache. It hasn't eased up much at all and two days this weekend. It usually is at night but since the 5th of the month it has gotten steadily worse. If this isn't a stone I have no clue. I wish I had some pain meds left. If it doesn't ease up when I get home I may see about getting some. What do you take. I need something like Vicidon.spelling?
    You are in my thoughts. Hugs, Polly

Old 03-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

Hi Polly,

As far as what I take for the pain, right now I am on Percocet. I hate taking it though because I have been on and off of them since they diagnosed me. I hope you get to feeling better. As for me I am just learning to deal, which I guess is good because it is raising my pain tolerance.

Take care,
    Shan

Old 03-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shannon, I am sorry you are have such a hard time. I am about like you.
    This silly whatever it is ... is bugging me. Nothing helps at all but presciption
    meds. I hate taking them to much. Like you I guess that not taking meds to much would help your pain level go up.
    I hope you feel better too. Polly

Old 03-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

Hello Polly,

How are you today? Well I have decided to try natural remedies. I have read a lot and heard quite often about B6, Magnesium, and Potassium. I am going to start these in the morning and keep a journal on how I feel. Granted I won't know myself pertaining to the results on the stones, I would have to go to the doc for that, but I am tired of not having any answers. Hope all is going well.

Take care,
    Shannon

Old 03-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shannon,
    I had gotten some infomation online about mag. vitimans and B complex vitimans and kidney stones. I wrote a friend of mine online. She is very knowable and has IBS and Kidney stones. Cal and Ox.. stones. She said you can do that but don't over do the Mag. It can be hard on your kidneys. Thought I would let you know.
    I am fair. I haven't hurt as bad but I still don't feel right. Especially, if I drink alot of fluid. I am wondering if I am having a back up since there could be a stone there. We will see. I get that Cat Scan Sunday like I told you and I need to check about IVP dye. That is the only thing I have ever been allergic to. Not sure if they will use it but I need to find out.
    I hope you feel better. Please read the guidelines on communication with others here. It explains alot and I didn't know that. Hope you get some relief from your pain.
    Hugs, Polly

Last edited by snodove; 03-23-2004 at 12:17 PM.

Old 03-24-2004, 04:42 AM   #14
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

HI Polly,

How are you? I have definitely seen better days, but so is life. I started taking the magnesium, B6, and potassium yesterday. I am only taking one a day to see how my body feels in a week or two. I go on Monday back to my Uro doc, but I really don't feel like wasting my money. He always says, "Yes, you have stones, but I don't see how they are causing you pain." Yet when he did surgery in Dec. 2003, he contradicted himself numerous times, because my stones it seems, attached themself to the kidney wall(for lack of better words) and then the tissue grows around them. Would you start the process all over again with a different doc or just stick it out? Anyways, hope all is going as good as it can be.

Take care,
    Shannon

Old 03-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #15
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Shannon,
    You know that makes sense about the stone being attached. That is what my doctor told me last time I went back in Sept. 03. I had one there he said but it was small. That is why I am thinking perhaps it has fallen down.
    He told me that usually stones in the kidney don't hurt but you know I actually wonder about that. I really do because it is forein body to the kidney to have it there.
    How long have you been going to this uro doctor? I have been going to mine for about two yrs. I won't even talk about the doctor I was going to before him... although I think I told you about him. Whew.. he was a not a very good doctor to say the least. Glad he retired.
    The one I have now listens most of the time. He tries.
    That is more than the last doctor.He told me once to soak in a tub of warm water.
    I hope you feel better. I hope the vitimans works too.
    Take care, Polly

Closed Thread