It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• lithotripsy - how long before you passed gravel?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
    zberk

zberk HB User
    Question lithotripsy - how long before you passed gravel?

Hi,

I'm curious about anyone else who's had a lithotripsy and how long it took for them to pass gravel/stones?

I had a lithotripsy on an 8mm stone 3 weeks ago. I have not seen one bit of gravel in my filter yet. For the first week after the procedure I felt some mild burning/tingling while urinating, but never caught a thing.

Interestingly, while I was on the table (prior to getteing put under anthestesia) the doc and staff couldn't seem to locate the stone via the real-time x-ray . Later I asked the doc if they found it and he said 'yes, we believe we found it and we blasted it'... Nice definite answer...

Anyhow, I still feel some discomfort around the right kidney area at times. It's never been the incredible pain that I've heard described by some.

BTW, for those who are scared about the procedure; I was VERY scared, but it's really not bad. We torture ourselves too much with the worry leading up to the date with the lithotriptor. Relax. You'll find your staff is understanding and professional.

Please let me know what your experience with the timeline from procedure to passing gravel.

Thanks!

Last edited by zberk; 07-04-2004 at 01:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
    troubledchild
    Inactive

troubledchild HB User
    Lightbulb Re: lithotripsy - how long before you passed gravel?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zberk
    Hi,

I'm curious about anyone else who's had a lithotripsy and how long it took for them to pass gravel/stones?

I had a lithotripsy on an 8mm stone 3 weeks ago. I have not seen one bit of gravel in my filter yet. For the first week after the procedure I felt some mild burning/tingling while urinating, but never caught a thing.

Interestingly, while I was on the table (prior to getteing put under anthestesia) the doc and staff couldn't seem to locate the stone via the real-time x-ray . Later I asked the doc if they found it and he said 'yes, we believe we found it and we blasted it'... Nice definite answer...

Anyhow, I still feel some discomfort around the right kidney area at times. It's never been the incredible pain that I've heard described by some.

BTW, for those who are scared about the procedure; I was VERY scared, but it's really not bad. We torture ourselves too much with the worry leading up to the date with the lithotriptor. Relax. You'll find your staff is understanding and professional.

Please let me know what your experience with the timeline from procedure to passing gravel.

Thanks!
    Hi,

I am sorry but I don't think the blasting worked for you this time or it could have worked too well.

You should have passed the stones at least the next day or two after the procedure, or the grains were so small that they went right through the holes of the strainer.

Call your urologist and tell him/her that you want a follow up x-ray, if you are not sure, they have to give it to you.

Grace

Old 07-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
    kgreer96

Re: lithotripsy - how long before you passed gravel?

I have had 5 lithos and the last one i also had an 8 mm stone. To be quit honest with you I usually quit straining my urine after about a week. It can take up to a couple of weeks and even this last time mine didn't pass at all, the particles settled in the bottom of my kidney and reformed. I read somewhere that if you place the end of an ironing board on a stool that is about a foot to a foot and a half off the ground, then drink 2 full glasses of water and then lay on your stomach with your head down it's suppose to help not let the particles settle. But I've never actually done it myself. Don't be discouraged though!!!!

Old 07-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
    zberk

zberk HB User

Thanks for the info! I do have an appt. this Thursday for more x-rays and to meet with the urologist.

I can only hope that they'll still pass or have been pulverized into a fine dust too small for the filter (yeah, wishful thinking!).

I'm still interested in more stories if they're out there...

Old 07-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
    zberk

zberk HB User
    Exclamation Re: lithotripsy - how long before you passed gravel?

I had my follow-up. The x-rays are inconclusive... He said my litho was difficult because they had a bear of a time trying to locate the stone. He said I had gas and stool in my lower intestine which may have obscured their ability to clearly see the stone. Apparently yesterday's x-rays were the same.

Lesson: probably a good idea for Drs to recommend an enema before litho or x-rays.

So I have another ultrasound today and another visit to the urologist next week. Hopefully the ultrasound shows nothing (fingers crossed)

The urologist did say that it IS possible to have blasted the stone into powder fine enough to pass through the strainer.

Last edited by zberk; 07-09-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
    zberk

zberk HB User

I had my ultra sound appt. and though I'm no expert, It looked to me that there was still something in the right kidney. They did the ultrasound on both and there appeared to be nothing on the left side. I guess I'll find out the details this Thursday when I go back to the urologist.

I hope you all don't mind me going on, but it feels somewhat therapeutic and hopefully someone will benefit from the information as a sort of case-study.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
    zberk

zberk HB User

Well it's getting even weirder, but to a certain degree, maybe better... I had my appt with the urologists and according to the ultrasound results, I now have two stones (8mm and 6mm)!

I know I only saw one blip on the ultrasound screen and I'm no expert, but me thinks they've added the two ultrasound results and there's a mix-up in communication. Even the most recent x-rays reveal what appears to be one faint stone.

The urologist also went back and took a look at the x-rays I had done two weeks prior to the litho. He said my gut was clear of anything that might obstruct the view of the stone and that the stone was difficult to see! This made him believe that the stone may be made of uric acid. If only they'd figured this out a month or so ago!

The good news is uric acid stones can be dissolved by oral medication. So I guess it's going to be another eight weeks before I get another ultrasound and find out if the stone(s) is/are gone.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kgreer96
    I have had 5 lithos and the last one i also had an 8 mm stone. To be quit honest with you I usually quit straining my urine after about a week. It can take up to a couple of weeks and even this last time mine didn't pass at all, the particles settled in the bottom of my kidney and reformed. I read somewhere that if you place the end of an ironing board on a stool that is about a foot to a foot and a half off the ground, then drink 2 full glasses of water and then lay on your stomach with your head down it's suppose to help not let the particles settle. But I've never actually done it myself. Don't be discouraged though!!!!
    I had a litho two weeks ago. I was given the same instructions to lie on an ironing board or something like that. I still have 1cm stone in my kidney. Maybe I should go lie on the ironing board, LOL I do not want another Litho or that pain. I had no stent. God!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm flanking again with pain and given antibiotics with a slight fever. Am I okay?

Andrea

Closed Thread