It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• BUN & Creatnine; how much is too much?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User
    Question BUN & Creatnine; how much is too much?

Just had bloodwork, and my Creatnine is 1.2, lab says range is 0 - 1.1
    BUN is 19, range is 7-18. She also said my Potassium is elevated (did not say how much.) Have had the potassium elevation off and on for several years, which puzzled Dr.'s a bit, but no kind of followup.

Stats: Female 54, no HBP, no diabetes. No swelling, but am Hypothyroid many years (treated). Take Lamictal (somewhat similar to tegetrol, which can cause some elevations of these, I think) for nocturnal seizure disorder. Have had an ANA of 1:640 for several years; tested for several things, but nothing definitive came of it, thought some kind of autoimmune disorder. Had very low B-12 a few years ago, but is ok now. No close history of kidney disease except for 2 cousins who died from it; many years before I was born, so have no idea what kind.

These numbers sound very low to me, but Dr. is sending me to Nephrology Dr. next month. I guess that's the only thing that worries me a bit.

So, can I calm down and not be too concerned for the next month when I see Dr.? Or any ideas about these levels and what could/might account for them?

Thanks,
    Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User
    Re: BUN & Creatnine; how much is too much?

bumping this up

Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

So sorry......I thought this WAS a KIDNEY forum

Old 01-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
    spongebobgamma
    (female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

DGO

Sorry no one has answered you. Do you know what your last creatinine level was before this one? Maybe your Dr is concerned that it is rising. Have you had any kind of imagining done to look at your kidneys? Let us know what the neph says, and please try not to worry..

Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I assume my levels before these were normal, nothing was ever said about it.

These were just so slightly raised, I tell myself it can't be too much to worry about, but all 3 were, so it does make me wonder, hard not to. I've never had any imaging done before, just an IVP, and cystoscopy about 6 years ago

Anyway, I'll pop back in when I see him, and let you know what he says.

Donna

Last edited by DGO1223; 01-20-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
    tbomp
    (female)

tbomp HB User

I'll be VERY interested to see what the neph says since I am in the same boat. I went to the GP for ankle edema in Sept and my cr was 1.3. Bloodwork in June for an appendicitis showed it was 1.1 then. It's been 1.3 ever since and he has yet to send me to a nephro. I just had the blood rechecked. If it's still high I think I'm going to go ahead and go to the nephro with or without a referral.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
    winter05
    (female)

winter05 HB User

I'd also be interested in knowing what the neph said. Just recently, my creatinine was 1.3 and BUN 20 (checked twice). No protein or sign of infection in urine sample; normal ultrasound; I'm not diabetic nor have high blood pressure.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

See if the doc can order a test on the kidney function. I have had one of these done when I had a staghorn stone that was enlarging my right kidney, but I do not recall the name of the test. Have not had the problem w/ high potassium, only low potassium, so I don't know what to advise there. Will look into levels and try to post a link if I find anything. Take care and good luck.

Shan

Old 02-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

I see the Neph. on Feb. 7th, and will post back with the results of that visit. I figure he will do a kidney function test, maybe the 24 hr. creatinine clearance.

Winter05: Did your Dr. say anything about the results of your tests?

Shan_y: When you found out you had the stone, was it painful beforehand, that led your Dr. to do that test? How did the results of your test turn out? I sure would rather have something like that wrong with me, rather than a kidney disease, but think probably not, since I don't have any pain.

Donna

Old 02-02-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
    shan_y
    (female)

shan_y HB User

Donna,

Unfortunately, I went to the ER thinking it was my endo, only to find out that my entire right kidney was a stone. It is considered a staghorn stone because of size and shape. It was expanding my right kidney, so they did the kidney function test to decide how to procede with surgical removal of the stone or the kidney. Luckily it was the stone that was removed, but I now only have 60-70% function of that kidney. If I forgot something let me know.

Shan

Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #11
    winter05
    (female)

winter05 HB User

Follow-up: Went to primary Dr. this morning. Third blood test showed BUN of 10 and creatinine of 1.3. I made sure I was hydrated. Dr. said not to worry since no protein or casts in urine, and sonogram showed nothing. I'm not diabetic nor have high blood pressure. I still don't like the creatinine being elevated, Am rechecking early April. If creatinine is still a little elevated I may ask for a renal scan or get a second opinion from a nephrologist. Still interested in follow-up of DGO1223 and tbomp. Hope these slightly elevated levels are nothing to worry about.

Shan--what exactly did the kidney function test consist of?

Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

O.K. I went to see the Nephrologist this morning.

He asked me lots of questions of course, family history, as well as my own. Along with the elevated BUN & Creatinine, he seemed moreso concerned with the elevation of potassium, which was 5.6 Said you don't fool around with that because it can cause your heart to stop. He gave me Hydrochlorothiazide to lower it. I don't have high BP or any swelling, so that puzzles me a little, because it is a diuretic. He asked me if I ate lots of bananas or lots of orange juice. I don't eat bananas and only drink about 4 oz. of OJ a day. He did say that kidney disease was sometimes part of an autoimmune process, when I mentioned the ANA of 1:640. He asked me about Lupus. ( I was tested for that several years ago.)

I am doing the 24 hr. Creatinine Clearance test, and having more blood work, ( don't know yet what all kinds) and a Renal Ultrasound. I am to see him back in 4 weeks. He said not to change the way I am eating, that nothing was wrong with my diet. He did not mention a lack of water or excessive protein a possible reason for causing the elevations in blood work that I had.

Only one of the meds I take on a regular basis might have a bearing on this is Phrenelin, that I take occasionaly for headaches. So I am not to take it anymore until I go back to see him to see how followup blood work looks. No Ibuphrophen either. Only Tylenol if needed.

All in all, I felt he was pretty through with me and took the time to answer all my questions, which of course I know I forgot to ask some!

So that's it so far. I will let you know anything further at followup.

Donna

Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

One more update: Nurse called and told me my latest blood work showed in normal ranges, and the the 24 hr. urine test showed 96% function which is fine. Results from ultrasound I had last Thursday was not back yet, so I should hear from it anytime now.

I was very relieved to hear all those tests were back in range, but wonder why all three were elevated at once, then went back to normal. The only thing I was doing different between those times, is that the last one I was taking the HCTZ to lower potassium. It did lower it to 4.6, before it was 5.6.A little odd, but I feel better about it.

I still see Dr. for a followup visit on March 7th, and he can fill me in on any details then. Meantime, I will wait to hear about the ultrasound. All in all, I feel nothing to be worried about.

Donna

Old 02-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
    nenad

nenad HB User

Can I ask you how did they determine the 96% function of kidneys from 24 hour urine test. I was under the impression that GFR is not measured well with Cr Cl. I found an article saying Cr Cl usually overestimates the GFR...
    Thanks

Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #15
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

I'm not sure how they arrived at that number. I will be interested to find out about that, I had not heard it before, but I do know that a cr cl was one of the tests on the urine sample.

Also, I just found out the ultrasound was normal.

So now I won't get any more info. until the 7th March when I see him again.

Donna

Closed Thread