It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• kidney failure and ibuprofen!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User
    kidney failure and ibuprofen!!

I thought it was depression. Then they diagnosed severe anemia. The anemia didn't respond to standard treatment. Turns out I had acute renal failure, probably due to taking ibuprofen over the years!! I didn't take that much of it - a handful of them a month, I guess. I was very conservative. Now I can't take any - I'm limited to Tylenol. Hopefully they can turn my condition around, at least most of the way (there's some permanent damage). Just a warning, everybody!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: kidney failure and ibuprofen!!

Unfortunately, I know of a number of people who ended up on dialysis because of ibuprofin. Some took a lot of it, but others just appeared to be more sensitive and never took that many.

By taking good care of yourself now and staying away from ibuprofin, you should be fine for a goodly amount of time. You're right now, some of the damage is permanent.

What are your blood levels now? Is your kidney issue progressing?

Good luck to you.

Cora

Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
    onekidney
    (female)

onekidney HB User
    Talking Re: kidney failure and ibuprofen!!

Hi:

As I research all the possible reasons that I now have one kidney, over use of all NSAIDS may be part of the problem.
    Hope everything comes out okay.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User
    Re: kidney failure and ibuprofen!!

My blood levels are getting better, but I'm on prednisone for four weeks. Then we'll see if I continue to get better on my own, or if I need continued shots of Ipagen (sp?) and iron transfusions. I'm also exploring natural anti-inflammatory supplements like fish oil and possibly Ester C. I have been told to stay away from Chinese herbs, since some of them can cause kidney damage too (don't remember which ones).

Closed Thread