It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• kidneys - please read and tell me what u think

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
    sharp3951

sharp3951 HB User
    kidneys - please read and tell me what u think

My second baby died at birth of potters (no kidneys) a year ago. My
    husband and i have been trying again with no luck. I just recently
    found out when a urologist checked my hubby's testicles out, he said he
    could only feel one tube and so he said that that could mean that he
    might only have one kidney. He gets his x-ray done next week and i am
    about to go insane waiting. It makes me wonder if the reason my baby
    was born with no kidneys is because my hubby might only have one. I do
    have a 6 yr old and i think he has both kidneys. So if the test
    results come back that my hubby only has one kidney, does this up my
    chance for another baby dieing of no kidneys? Also why would my hubby
    only have one tube in his testicle instead of two? Please anyone can
    help me here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User
    Re: kidneys - please read and tell me what u think

I have been pregnant 6 times. 1st baby was fine, 2nd baby was premature and she died after 12 hours from Potters,3rd child was born with multiple kidney problems but has survived to adulthood and battles kidney issues,4th child lost during pregnancy to potters,5th child lost during pregnancy to potters, 6th child like my first has healthy kidneys but a small bladder. I found out while being tested for possible kidney transplant for 3rd child I have only one kidney and one ureter. I suggest you look into genetic testing and also have a simple ultrasound done on your 6 year old. It doesn't hurt only tickles a little and will put your mind at ease. We had our first son done and it did end alot of stress and concern over his kidneys. Here is some basic information. If you look under "Other abnormal characteristics" you will see a reference to what they are looking for in you husband. It is obvious in my case it is a condition passed down through me. If your husband is found to have medical issues related to potters he may feel alot of guilt like I did.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 11-22-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
    sharp3951

sharp3951 HB User

I am so sorry for all your losses. How did u keep going on. I am having a hard time dealing with it. I don't know if i should even let my husband have his x-ray done. Maybe i should just forget about having anymore kids and just be happy with my one living child. I am just having a hard time dealing with it. The dr told my hubby he could only feel one vas deferens tube. This keeps getting worse and worse. I know that some potters is due to a fluke, it just happens. I was hoping that was our case. Your babies that died of potters, did they have no kidneys or cystic kidneys? Thanks for your reply and again i am sorry for all your losses.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

After my 3rd child who survived and was so ill. I waited almost 20 years to try again. I knew medical science had come up with all kinds of treatment for children who had all but the most serious kidney problems. In my 4th and 5th pregnancys the total lack of kidneys were detected by ultrasound. My 4th child a little boy was already deceased when the lack of kidneys was detected, and I misscarried naturally.With my fifth child also a little boy the Dr. had a problem with his heart rate and he ordered a ultra sound the lack of kidneys was found and we waited it out untill his heart stoped before terminated the pregnancy.It gave me time to say goodbye. I had no signs of miscarrage and he felt I would be at risk of infection if I waited to deliver. We had done genetic testing before having number 4 and we could not find any way to detect the problem. The only way to detect the problem was by allowing the baby to develop far enough along for a ultrasound. It is ironic my last son has healthy kidneys but it was quite apparent soon after birth something was wrong. He has severe Autism. totaly unrelated to the kidney issues in the family. Any time you have a child you role the dice. but at the same time any child is only lent to you . whether for a few months,a few years,or decades. I love all my children , the ones I hold in my arms and the ones I only get to hold in my heart. I would not change any of the choices I have made in having children. My youngest one is most special after all the grief . My boys are 28,26 and 7. I have 5 grandchildren 4 healthy and one with minor kidney issues.

Last edited by off kilter; 10-14-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Closed Thread