It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Help .. can calcium cause kidney stones?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
    Tzu
    (female)

Tzu HB User
    Help .. can calcium cause kidney stones?

I think I have just had a stone as I have been in agony the past two days ... I have drunk loads of water along with pain killers and it is easing now. I am concerned it may be a stone/s from drinking excessive amounts of horlicks which has a lot of calcium in. When I say excessive I mean about 5 cups a day and made up quite strong. Is it possible this caused calcium stones? It's the third time it's happened over a few years and if I can't take calcium .. how do I get my calcium then .. as the first attack happened with calcium tablets .. I was not drinking horlicks then .. but taking two tabs a day equaling 666mg of calcium .. which is not even the recommended daily dose to prevent osteoporosis. I think women are meant to have about 1200mg of calcium per day if I'm not mistaken ... any advice on this would be appreciated as I am really worried about damage to my kidney if this keeps happening and also concerned about avoiding calcium

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
    hayley0610
    Inactive
    (female)

hayley0610 HB User
    Re: Help .. can calcium cause kidney stones?

hi i dont really know as much as u seem to know about calcium amounts and such but i can tell you a few things from experience. first off thats why people get stones its their body making too much calcium i had it bad when i was preg. i never take or took any supplements and my calcium intake isnt very high as i hate cheese and milk but my body was still taking what i had for the baby and thats why i had them so terribly bad. so i know that u dont even need to be taking it in order to have stones. 2nd when i went on atkins a few yrs ago i got the worst stones ever!!! it was because i was taking in too much protein, so perhaps look at ur protein intake. now i will tell u what my doc told me to do to break them up a bit and its so simple and really worked as it acted like an antidote in a sense against the calcium build up. he told me to drink 2 or 3 glasses of water with "eno" in it. it should be eno though and not like pepto or anything like that. its cheap and u can get it at any drugstore, and it does work! about the supplementing i dont know what to say. ive never broken anything or had probs not taking supplements. something as simple as taking tums with calcium could help you and thats easy to do. im not sure hold u are or family history but ive never had a prob. im not sure what horrlicks is ive never heard of it. gl

Last edited by hayley0610; 01-09-2006 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

hayley, what is "eno"?

Old 01-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
    kwun
    (male)

kwun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tzu
    I think I have just had a stone as I have been in agony the past two days ... I have drunk loads of water along with pain killers and it is easing now. I am concerned it may be a stone/s from drinking excessive amounts of horlicks which has a lot of calcium in. When I say excessive I mean about 5 cups a day and made up quite strong. Is it possible this caused calcium stones? It's the third time it's happened over a few years and if I can't take calcium .. how do I get my calcium then .. as the first attack happened with calcium tablets .. I was not drinking horlicks then .. but taking two tabs a day equaling 666mg of calcium .. which is not even the recommended daily dose to prevent osteoporosis. I think women are meant to have about 1200mg of calcium per day if I'm not mistaken ... any advice on this would be appreciated as I am really worried about damage to my kidney if this keeps happening and also concerned about avoiding calcium
    hey bub,

i have had a kidney stone passed painfully a few months ago...than i read a lot about calcium and kidney stone's relationship:

from what i read, if you take calcium citrate and magnesium citrate together, there will be +ve influence to kidney stone...there is supplement with that kind of formular...please do a search....make sure the ingredients of the supplement is "citrate"

also, if you are drinking a lot of horlick, may be you just take magnesium citrate to balance the calcium that you r takin.

please make sure it is "citrate" that is easily absorbed by the body.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
    Tzu
    (female)

Tzu HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hayley0610
    hi i dont really know as much as u seem to know about calcium amounts and such but i can tell you a few things from experience. first off thats why people get stones its their body making too much calcium i had it bad when i was preg. i never take or took any supplements and my calcium intake isnt very high as i hate cheese and milk but my body was still taking what i had for the baby and thats why i had them so terribly bad. so i know that u dont even need to be taking it in order to have stones. 2nd when i went on atkins a few yrs ago i got the worst stones ever!!! it was because i was taking in too much protein, so perhaps look at ur protein intake. now i will tell u what my doc told me to do to break them up a bit and its so simple and really worked as it acted like an antidote in a sense against the calcium build up. he told me to drink 2 or 3 glasses of water with "eno" in it. it should be eno though and not like pepto or anything like that. its cheap and u can get it at any drugstore, and it does work! about the supplementing i dont know what to say. ive never broken anything or had probs not taking supplements. something as simple as taking tums with calcium could help you and thats easy to do. im not sure hold u are or family history but ive never had a prob. im not sure what horrlicks is ive never heard of it. gl
    Thanku for ur response Hayley. Thats interesting about Eno ... I know what that is .. it's that white powder u put in water and fizzes as an ant acid isn't it? So one would do this when they have an actual stone I gather? I'll remember that. Gosh my husband has been on Atkins for a year now .. so I must tell him what u said about too much protein. He feels so well on it though and lost the weight he needed to .. plus his cholestrol, blood pressure and sugar problem came down on it .. but worth knowing any side effects he could get from it .. thanx again

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwun
    hey bub,

i have had a kidney stone passed painfully a few months ago...than i read a lot about calcium and kidney stone's relationship:

from what i read, if you take calcium citrate and magnesium citrate together, there will be +ve influence to kidney stone...there is supplement with that kind of formular...please do a search....make sure the ingredients of the supplement is "citrate"

also, if you are drinking a lot of horlick, may be you just take magnesium citrate to balance the calcium that you r takin.

please make sure it is "citrate" that is easily absorbed by the body.
    Thanx for ur reply kwun .. much appreciated

Closed Thread