It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Kidney Problems/ Ibprofuen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
    MaxOT26
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MaxOT26 HB User
    Kidney Problems/ Ibprofuen

Is anyone hearing of links between ibprofuen and kidney problems? And if so to what scope?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
    sporti
    (female)

sporti HB User
    Re: Kidney Problems/ Ibprofuen

Ibuprofren is a big for anyone with kidney problems. Prescription anti-inflammatory drugs such as diclofenac(high dose of ibuprofren) are dangerous and should not be prescribed to anyone with a decline in their kidney function. As to whether regular use of ibuprofren can cause kidney damage for someone with normal kidney function i do not know. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

If you take too much ibuprofen, it can damage your kidneys. I know a number of people on dialysis who are there because of ibuprofen use. No one really knows exactly what the critical dose is. It depends on you. If you are taking it every day this is probably not a good thing. If you are taking close or at the daily max dose on a regular basis, this too is probably not good. Ibuprofen can cause a lot of damage if you are not careful.

Good luck.

Cora

Old 02-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
    MaxOT26
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Thanks for the feed back, so should dose amounts go off of body weight? I am 26 6'2 190 and do not have kidney problems. Do you think 1800 mg a day for a couple of weeks be straining my kidneys?

Old 02-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
    sporti
    (female)

sporti HB User

1800mg a day for two weeks?? Has a dr prescribed this amount? It certainly sounds a lot. The instructions are normally do not exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours. How many mgs in each tablet? I would say roughly the recommended dose would be, at the most, 1200mgs a day BUT quite definitely not to be taken for 2 weeks.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
    MaxOT26
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I was in the Marine Corp and that is what the Navy Doc's always told us. They always said that 1800 mgs was the alloted dosage. They would give us 800mg tablets of motrin. So that is just what I have stuck to since I have been out. They are 200mg tablets they I take now. I am only take it for the anti-inflamatory benefits a few times a year when my shoulder flares up. Anything else anyone would recommend........I certainly don't want to damage my body in anyway. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:16 AM   #7
    sporti
    (female)

sporti HB User

You could try Voltarol cream. Over here in the UK you can get this over the counter. I personally cannot use it but as its a cream not so much is absorbed into the bloodstream. Voltarol's other name is Diclofenac and its a strong anti-inflammatory.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
    MaxOT26
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Thanks a lot I will look into that stuff.

Old 02-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
    rasoivy
    (female)

rasoivy HB User
    Re: Kidney Problems/ Glomerular Nephritis

I am imploring for any help from anyone that has any information re: glomerular nephritis. This has been going on for a year and I was in a state of denial for half of it - now I have come to grips that I need to be strong about this and grab this from the horns.

It appears that the diagnosis was made conclusive when there was continued hematuria and heavy proteinuria - I have been put on Cozaar but because of weight gain and water retention - changed to Hizaar. It seems to be worse when something triggers the blood to come gushing out of my body - like some bacterial infection - that appears to occur every 4 months - I get the urticaria (hopefully I spelled this right)...then followed heavy blood in urine - immediately I am given some form of antibiotics which washes away most of the blood in the urine except for the constant several microscopic that appears to be there and will never change.

Now I am told I will need a biopsy if the proteinuria continues to be past 2 gms - I personally read that above 3 can jeopardize the kidney function.

If you have additional information or if you know what is triggering this - please help - I personally believe I am allergic to something and I wish I can put my finger on it! (This may denial again--sorry!)

Thanks in advance for your help and warm regards

(PS - I have done the 24 hour urine collection and blood work that includes lupus, IGA serums, and hepatitis - everything came back normal)

Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
    sporti
    (female)

sporti HB User

Hi rasoivy

If you dont mind me saying I think you should turn your question into another thread so more people will read it. What do you mean when you say 'blood gushes out of my body'? I have glomular nephritis which was first diagnosed as a possibility in 1982. I subsequently had two biopsies (i wanted two opinions) and as my nephrologist says 'i am still plodding on'! If your 24 hr urine test is normal as is your serum creatinine? then im not sure what you are worrying about? Maybe i have misunderstood your question High bp can cause your kidneys to leak protein so maybe they have put you on bp tablets to see if your protein disappears. Im not sure how they can diagnose glomular nephritis without a biopsy

Closed Thread