It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• passed a stone this morning, but still ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
    Tung-Sol
    (male)

Tung-Sol HB User
    passed a stone this morning, but still ...

have some "symptoms." Here it's 8 hours later and I am feeling waves of urgency like I did the day before the attack. Is this normal and will it eventually fade away? The CT scan did show another stone in the other kidney, has it begun to travel as well just two days after the scan?

Thanks for any input!

Thom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User
    Re: passed a stone this morning, but still ...

Hi Tung...that's normal and will eventually subside. After I pass a stone, sometimes that feeling can last a week or longer. I hope you start feeling better soon!! Take care.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
    jess_march
    (female)

jess_march HB User
    Re: passed a stone this morning, but still ...

Hi I'm new here.

Just wanted to chime in and say that it was absolutely the same for me. I had a horrific kidney stone attack last year which was treated with various pain killers and eventually morphine (I live in Europe by the way!). The brunt of the crisis (sweating, shaking, vomiting, etc) lasted from about 9pm through morning. I haven't given birth but now I think I have a good idea of how that must feel!!

Anyway, by morning I was better (thrilled to be alive) but still with a lot of cramps. I never knew if the thing had passed or not. I was prescribed lots of low grade pain relievers and to drink oceans of water. Over the next 6 weeks, I had cramping (in both kidneys) off and on. Sometimes mild and sometimes very uncomfortable, but relatively constant. When I finally got in for an utlra sound (about 5-6 weeks after the attack), the urologist told me I was stone-free. Eventually the cramping went away.

But I can remember all too well, the "wave of panic" every time a cramp would start up and give me a fresh reminder of how bad the pain actually was. In my case, I had to take a transatlantic flight (it was Christmas) and I was terrified during the entire flight that the stone was still there and would start moving again, sending me into another attack mid-flight. In any case, I guess that rarely happens. I think the initial attack is usually followed by a slow cramping.

I haven't had another one since then but my family history is overwhelmed with stones. So when I experienced the attack last year (thought it was my appendix) and the doctor said, "No it appears to be a kidney stone," I experienced a sinking sense of certainty. My legacy had arrived!

Good luck with yours. I bet the worst is over. Drink lots of water!!

Jess

Old 05-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
    Tung-Sol
    (male)

Tung-Sol HB User
    thanks ...

The one passed before my first post ... and the symptoms subsided over a few days, but they were only a minor concern compared when the stone was still moving. I guess the damage done just has to heal.

Closed Thread