It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Blood in Urine / Stones / Dull Ache 5 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
    Aeronaut
    (female)

Aeronaut HB User
    Question Blood in Urine / Stones / Dull Ache 5 months

I passed a 6mm stone (my first born), in January. Ever since I have had an ache in my kidney, which has intensified the last few days. I went to the urgent care clinic and they did CT scans, blood work and urinalysis. They found blood in my urine (2+) but everything else came back normal and they couldn't "see" any stones on the CT. However, they said that doesn't mean there aren't any; they made not be visible. So, they are sending me to a urologist for "further investigation." I should have followed up with a urologist after I passed the stone, but I don't have insurance and I am new to the area and don't know who to see.

I spent $1000 yesterday. The hospital in January billed me (for the same tests) abour $8000, which I settled for much less. Still, I'm out a lot of money that I really don't have.

Should I be worried that this is something more serious (he mentioned other things; cystitis, a bladder lesion/cyst, and some other things). I have also looked up "blood in urine" and I keep seeing cancer, and endometriosis and that it could also be nothing.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Kidney function was normal. The most logical thing is that there are more stones, right?

I know I should go to the doctor, but I really can't afford it. Especially if they are going to run a bunch of tests.

Sorry this post is so long, but I'm really worried and don't know what to do. If it's a stone(s), I will deal with it. Should I really be worried that it's something else? What are the odds that I would have a stone and then 5 months later have something totally different wrong?

Please help. It's hard to focus on anything because I have this pain in my flank/kidney area, blood in my urine and no answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
    madejade
    (female)

madejade HB User
    Smile Re: Blood in Urine / Stones / Dull Ache 5 months

First of all, try not to panic it is probably another stone. I have stones that are sometimes visible and sometimes not. I saw my urologist on monday for a follow-up (if you read some of my recent posts, I have also had a dull ache for a few weeks). He told me that my dull ache is probably due to one of my larger stones trying to work it's way out. My ache has been stronger sometimes and not so bad at other times. You probably just have another stone. You should see a urologist just to confirm it because if it is large enough it could cause a serious problem. Also, if it is another stone, you will probably want to have a metabolic workup to find out why you are making stones. I am in the process of going through my 4th 24 hour urine test and my 3rd set of blood tests to try and determine what may be causing mine.

Also, can you apply for medicaid (that is what it is called in my state)? That is where the state picks up your health insurance?? If you don't have a job or don't have enough of an income you may qualify for it.

Regardless, you should see a urologist. Explain to whoever you see that you are on a tight budget. They may be able to make a payment plan for you with their office.

One more thing, you can make payments on medical bills usually. As far as I know, as long as you send something, they cannot put it through to collections. Your health should come first.

Hope that helps...madejade

Old 05-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
    Aeronaut
    (female)

Aeronaut HB User
    Re: Blood in Urine / Stones / Dull Ache 5 months

Thank you; you are probably right. It's the logical thing. I did look at my blood tests today and found that I am anemic, probably due to the loss of blood. I was not told this but looked up what the results mean and I was low in two areas. Both relate to iron deficiency/anemia.

I don't know if that is relevant - other than loss of blood...

I should have mentioned; my mother had a hysterectomy around my age (34) for fibroids. It's anyone's guess what's really going on but I think it just HAS to be related to the stones.

Closed Thread