It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Just Curious How Many Stones Everyone Has Had

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
    madejade
    (female)

madejade HB User
    Just Curious How Many Stones Everyone Has Had

I am just so curious approx. how many stones everyone has had. Total for me has been over 30 (some passed naturally, I have had a few procedures for some). ??????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User
    Re: Just Curious How Many Stones Everyone Has Had

For me, over 350, (not a typo) over 60 surgeries, and a radical nephrectomy (my whole left kidney removed) due to stones and surgeries....toooooo much damage.

Last edited by friendly_one; 07-24-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
    milimoki
    (female)

milimoki HB User

you amaze me. Your case has to be the worst case I have ever heard of. Did anyone ever do a write up on you, on any medical journal's? Also I forgot, but did you mention you have any kids? I worry I will pass this on to my son. I have no idea how many stones I have had. I do know I have grain on a constant basis. I have had at least around 40 taken to the Dr to be looked at, and I have a jar with 30 stones in it that I keep. Plus all the stones they have dug out. I would guess around 150 or so for me. 50 % of them all in the last year. I dont think I am even going to bother asking the Dr questions anymore, I am just going to log on and ask Dr. Kstone. It's funny, my family and I sit around at the dinner table and say things like," well kstone said this or that"

Last edited by Administrator; 10-20-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi mili...yes, I'm in lots of journals. My stone "career" started at age 9. I stopped counting stones a few years ago, so, I've probably had more than 400. I'm just a rare case. My docs love to tell me "you are such a good teaching case". Why??? Because you can't fix me? LOL I go to the best place in the world, literally, for stones and stone prevention. The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Medical School in Dallas. People come from all over the world here for complicated cases. How ironic that I live here, and they can't fix me. They tell me I'm the 1% case they can't crack and will never see another case like me in their careers. Lucky me.

I've had every urological surgery done (multiple times) and even had most of my parathyroid glands removed, but I still form stones. My stones are calcium oxalate, just like the other 80% of people that form stones. The parathyroid surgery carries a 95% cure rate, but you guessed it, not for me. Anyway, thanks for the compliment...Dr. KStone. I like that!! With everything I've been through, I should be a doc!!! I would definitely treat my patients the way they deserve to be treated...with respect, care, and honesty!!! Anyway, have a good night and if you ever have any questions, just ask, ok?? Take care and bye for now.

P.S. No, I don't have any kids. If I did, the poor things would be doomed!! My husband has had 2 stones of his own and I have other relatives on my mom's side that have had stones. Also, my husband's father has had 2 stones. Pityful!! Stones can definitely be hereditary. So, we have 3 cats and they are our childern. LOL Not to mention, I can't have kids anyway. I had a total hysterectomy (ovaries included) at age 18 due to severe endometriosis and polycystic ovary disease. I had my right ovary removed at age 14 and everything else at age 18. So, in addition to the female problems, I also had to deal with stones and surgeries from that. Geezzz...it's a miracle I'm still sane!!! LOL Take care and bye for now!

Last edited by friendly_one; 06-15-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
    Aftertherain3
    (female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi, I had my first stone in 90. I went about ten yrs and didnt have another one but I moved and sure what happened but I have had them since 99 about every year. I had one time a doctor told me to soak in water .. and I had 2 did I pass one. Cuz I had 3. No I told him. I started bleeding real bad and had to go to a clinic in Ohio. LOL boy they said why didnt they do lithotipsy where you live. I just said who knows. After that I go a new urologist. That is a fact. I had passted one stone there and the other two they broke up and they were not small. Then I had one broken up that was 10mm and one after that I believe was 7mm. I have some small ones right now and I passed one about 2 o 3 mm in Feb. I have been passing small ones off and on since. So I am thinking the ones I know of .. I would say about 8 or more. 3 or 4 lithotripies and one or two scopes to grab it. That didnt work. Lately I have been having alot of pain in my left side and they are going to do another scope to see if a stone is in the tube.
    Know this isnt near as many as others have had. My heart goes out to you.
    It really does. I have calcium oxidate stones due to something called a kidney leak. Done a little research on that and it is something you are born with. The only other person in my family was my grandmother and she had one stone. Thank you for listenng.
    Aftertherain

Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
    Joyce1957
    (female)

Joyce1957 HB User

Well I sure can't beat out all you people, thank goodness! I had my first stone which I passed myself in 2000, OUCH! I've had small ones that I've passed on and off ever since. I was diagnosed with Hyrerparathyroidism in Oct. of 2005 and am scheduled for surgery at the Norman Clinic in Fla. on July 11th. Right now, my last CT scan shows I'm carrying around about a dozen small ones in my kidneys bi-laterally that SHOULD pass on their own, although I have been expeienceing alot of pain in my side.
    I sure do feel for you all.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 AM   #7
    Aftertherain3
    (female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi, I hope your surgery goes well. I know it is painful.
    Aftertherain

Old 06-17-2006, 02:41 AM   #8
    ForeverDebR
    (female)

ForeverDebR HB User

My left kidney doesn't function and it has a 4mm kidney stone in it which will never go anywhere.

My right kidney has "alot of shadows in it which would love to become kidney stones" states my urologist.

Debbie

Old 06-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
    usmgrl
    (female)

usmgrl HB User

Wow! I have had 20 something stones and OMG how painful this is! I can't imagine having 300! I thought I had suffered from a lot of them. My number doesn't even match some of yours.

Be careful with the stents. After having had a stent, I developed a perinephric abcess. This is extremely painful and comes with an 80% mortality rate because it is not so easy to diagnose.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I've had a lot of stones in my lifetime off and on since age 20. I'm now 56. I passed some of them, had 2 major surgeries 2 years in a row to remove stones. That was when major surgery was the only option to remove them. I've also had a few Lithos. I have a 3 mm stone in my left kidney now. I hope it stays put!!!!! I know I should be drinking water constantly, but it's hard for me to do that.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I forgot to mention that I've only had a stent once. That was when I ended up in the ER with terrible pain. I had the stent put in til after I had an emergency hysterectomy. A few weeks later, I had a Lithotrypsy.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #12
    Rocky54
    (male)

Rocky54 HB User

I passed my first stone about 8 years ago. I thought I had pulled something in my back, until the pain got worse, vomited and started to perspire. That was from my left side. Then the following year I was driving and I thought I had appendicitis, with pain in my lower right "gut"....nope another rock!
    Then no problems until 3 years ago. I had an 8mm stone. That was awful! I knew I was sick but didn't know with what. I started my 40 minute commute home and about 15 minutes into it, I was perspiring, my hands and feet went numb and I was very nauseas. I pulled off the road, literally rolled out of the car and onto my hands and knees. The pain was unbearable. I got myself back into the car called my best friend, who came and drove me to ER. I almost blacked out by the time he arrived. X-rays showed I had a 5-8mm stone in my right kidney and a total of over 20 in both kidneys. I had one ultrasound lithotripsy and 2 laser lithos in the past 3 years. Just last Friday I went back to ER with a 5mm stone in my left side. I am SICK of this! I can't plan on doing anything with fear that the pains kick in. Once I take pain meds they make me dizzy, loopy or just plain knock me out. I go back to my urologist this Tuesday......he better watch out, I am NOT happy!

Last edited by Rocky54; 07-08-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
    texaslady03
    (female)

texaslady03 HB User

I haven't been diagnosed with stones yet but thought I could get some advice from some of you. I posted a question earlier this week but haven't had a response and I am rather anxious to get some opinions while I wait to get to the doctor. I have had a constant dull pain in my back left side (flank pain?). Last October before my insurance ran out, I went to the dr. because I had foul smelling urine. I had a urine test done and they found blood and crystals in my urine. Is it common for a stone to get stuck and cause pain for such a length of time? Just under 2 yrs ago, I had an ultrasound done only to find gallstones but the Kidneys looked fine at that time. I am hoping that if it is serious, that it's been less than a year with the discomfort and it has not gotten any worse, just stays the same. I always thought you only got pain when the stone passed.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #14
    madejade
    (female)

madejade HB User
    Cool Re: Just Curious How Many Stones Everyone Has Had

Hi
    Sorry you haven't gotten any responses sooner. The pain you are describing seems consistant with stones. I am not doctor but I have passed many stones. If the pain is below the ribs than it could be a stone. However, I have complained to my doctor many times about constant dull aches in my kidneys and if no stone is found to be obstructing my doc would always tell me to follow up with my primary care because it sounds muscular. When this happens I almost always pass a stone within a week or two of the episode. I have recently began turning in all my stones just to prove that it's not muscular.

Also, my new urologist has sent me to a nephrologist and he told me that stones that are on there way out can cause a dull ache. The stone doesn't have to be obstructing the feel this pain and sensation. This confirmed my suspisions.

When I get this ache I have found that a heating pad or hot bath eases the pain for a while.

I also have gall stones that are just there and not causing a problem. Apparently there is no link between the two conditions.

If you can, I would see a urologist about your problem and go from there. Don't be surprised though if they tell you it is muscular.

Stones of any kind are absolutely no fun.

Good Luck and keep me posted!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
    texaslady03
    (female)

texaslady03 HB User

Thank you for responding. I figured only those when a lot of experience will understand. I wouldn't suspect stones if it wasn't for that last urinalysis. I do not think it is muscular. That's what they said when I had pains on my right side and it turned out to be gallstones. It would be a relief for it to be stones. I'm always afraid of something worse. Can a stone be stuck for an indefinite amount a time?

Closed Thread