It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• End Renal Failure taking Dialysis 3X per week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
    mollymadison
    (female)

mollymadison HB User
    End Renal Failure taking Dialysis 3X per week

My brother is in end renal failure and been on hemodialysis for 6-7 years and his health is deteriorating fast. He is in a wheelchair and now he just told me he would like to go into a nursing home because ultimately he really can't take care of himself they way he should.

My questions to you all out there is there a nursing home for younger people? My bro is only 24.

HELP!!! I can tell more of his story if you need me to...but I can't right now because I'm so upset. I just need anyone's help.

Thanks,
    MOLLY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: End Renal Failure taking Dialysis 3X per week

I am so sorry to hear that your brother is doing so poorly. Has he been unable to get a transplant or did he have one and it failed? I know that dialysis is very difficult but does he have other medical disorders that are taking a toll? I know that it is still possible to get into better health and shape while you are on dialysis. It is just very, very difficult.

If you could give a few more details, maybe we could offer some advice.

Cora

Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
    rick12665
    (male)

rick12665 HB User

I'm also sorry to hear about your brother. Please tell me that there has to be more wrong with his health than just his kidneys. If it's just his kidneys, he should be able to get well. I know people that have been on Dialysis for 10
    years because they can't get transplants do to other failed transplants, or high antibodies that increase rejection and they are doing good.

A personal friend of mine that's been on Dialysis for a long 10 years is 37 years old. He now runs marathons (he takes his phosphorus binders), he lift's weights, he cycles and he lives life as any normal person does. He has 3 kids a mortgage a job and all. He looks great.

If your brother only has kidney failure without any other undelining health issues causing the kidney failure, they have the new Green Gambro Machines at alot of Dialysis centers and that machine simulates closest to a real kidney, other than some fluid restrictions and good blood pressure control, he should be fine and get healthy.

My friend is doing the Nexstage daily Haemo at home. He does haemo for 1.5 hours a day and he loves it. He feels better, stronger, and he's able to work 11 hour days as a investment banker. With that said, there are many options avaliable to hopefully help your brother feel better. Stay strong for him, he'll be just fine.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
    mollymadison
    (female)

mollymadison HB User

I guess the big difference here is that my brother has been non compliant most of his life and is still mostly non compliant to everything except taking the pain meds and benzodiazipines (klonopin, xanax) and boy is he religious at that! He complains that he is SO MUCH PAIN! and I wonder just WHY!??? I have an appointment with our family practitioner tomorrow to try to get a better understanding of the disease and progression of disease. He does NOT always take is phosporous binders and now his bones are deteriorating into phos and calcium and that is supposed to be very painful. He is very weak. He breaks bones all the time. He had a total hip replacement at age 24 last year in Aug. and is still recovering from that. He Just DOESN:T WANT to do for himself. I would love for him to talk to some of the success stories on this board about people making it on dialysis for him to get some encouragement! As for the transplant, that's a long story and I will get into that another post. But for now he is not eligible at the dialysis center he is at. The Dr. says no because not only is he non-compliant, he as some ureter/bladder dysfunction and has to self cath which would introduce infection to the new kidney every time he self caths. That's this Docs story. the Doc doesn't like my bro and my bro doesn't like him! Go figure. We are looking for a new center and doc. Because we have never ran into this kind of problems before. We know docs ready to do it if he is compliant.

So what do ya'll say now!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Again, I am sorry about the dire straits he is in. He needs to work harder to take care of himself. There must be some sort of exercise that he can do to help himself. Even a little bit would make him feel better. The bottom line is that he needs to work hard and do what he has to do. What he needs to do. It is never easy, but it is possible. If he starts doing what he is supposed to do, there is a chance that he will get better. Has he had some psychiatric counselling? It sounds like he is passively trying to kill himself.

I wish you both the best. It must be very difficult for you to watch and not be able to help him.

Cora

Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
    mollymadison
    (female)

mollymadison HB User

Cora-
    I have honestly thought he was trying to passively kill himself for years now. I think he just doesn't have the will to live and hasn't for many years even from when he was very young. And that is VERY sad to me as his sister! It makes me cry every time I think about it. It literally tears me up!!!! I can't even think about being one day without him. So that is why I have come to these boards for support. I just do not know where else to turn and I have learned so much for myself here at these boards. We (me and my husband) will also have an appointment with our family practioner who is also the same family practioner as my brother so she is aware of the situation for my brother today, Friday. I want to know about everything I can. I just don't understand everything I am supposed to and I need to know everything. We (the dr., my brother, and I) DID discuss depression yesterday, Thursday, and he started Cymbalta because that is what worked in the past. He admitted that he was severely depressed and felt like life was not worth living. I thought that was a step in the right direction at least. The Dr. also recommended some new nephrologists around town that would do the transplant with his medical situation. We are going to get home health out to my brothers apartment for physical therapy and to check up on him 3X per week so that should help with his physical state....I hope...We are going to re-group in 2 weeks. The dr said to keep in constant touch with her. She is VERY good. I just love her! She is very young...in her 30's and VERY compassionate while being very strong with my brother. JUST WHAT WE NEED. She is a family internist and pediactrician (sp?).

Anyway...please keep posting...anyone who has any input at all...as I said, I come here for support and guidance.

Thank you for all who have read and posted so far...Thank you so much!
    Molly
    God Bless YOU!

Old 07-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #7
    Jayfish
    (female)

Jayfish HB User

Molly
    I'm so sorry to hear that your brother seems to think you can't have a life with this condition. If only you and the doc could convince him to try being compliant with diet and medications (binders, etc). I know the restrictions can be difficult at times but it is possible. I am a dialysis patient myself, but I am also a mum and have a 40-hour-a-week job as a courier. I'm not trying to bignote myself, just show that it can be done. Hope this helps.

Hugs, from Jayfish

Closed Thread