It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Ultrasound/CT Results - Kidneys

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
    swinner
    (female)

swinner HB User
    Question Ultrasound/CT Results - Kidneys

Can anyone help with terminology from ultrasound/ CT results?
    I recently (January 07) had an abdominal ultrasound to rule out liver/gallbladder problems (which it did rule out.) The report found "diffuse cortical thinning of the right kidney... the kidney demonstrates a thin renal cortex" Does anyone know what this can mean? I've been referred to a urologist but can't get in for a couple of months and prior to the appointment have been scheduled for complete ultrasound of both kidneys.

Also, in 2003 I had a CT scan due to paid on left side. At the time I was told the results were fine. The results of this scan (which I just now got a copy of) say, "There are calcific densities overlying left kidney which could either represent renal calculi or left costal cartilage calcifications" What do those two terms mean?

I've done web searches but don't really understand what these things can mean. It's awful having to wait a couple months to get in!

Thank you for your help! ~Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User
    Re: Ultrasound/CT Results - Kidneys

Renal Calculi simply means kidney stones or kidney stone dust. If they were of significant size it would have said renal calculi of ..... (whatever the size was).

The rest I have heard of but not enough to explain it. Sounds like there is some anatomical anomalies but not enough to lose any sleep over. Good luck and stay very hydrated!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
    swinner
    (female)

swinner HB User
    Question Re: Ultrasound/CT Results - Kidneys

Thank you for the reply, I will try to keep positive!

Does anyone know what "diffuse cortical thinning of the right kidney... the kidney demonstrates a thin renal cortex" means?

Thanks again!

Closed Thread