It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• What are they looking for in biopsy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
    bogaz
    (male)

bogaz HB User
    Question What are they looking for in biopsy?

I just had a kidney biopsy and they say it will be 10-15 days before they tell me anything.What exactly are they looking for?Will this tell me a more precise timeline for the progression of my Kidney desease?My GFR is 21.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: What are they looking for in biopsy?

They look for any irregularity in the cellular makeup. Also, any existing damage can be seen. Biopsies help with diagnosis of diseases.
    Which type of a biopsy did you have? How did it go? I have a very high blood pressure so will most likely have to have an open biopsy when the need for one arises. I have yet to have mine. It was recently postponed yet again. I think my nephrologist is waiting for my kidney function to worsen. I don't have a diagnosis. I would be interested to know what info you'll be given when they discuss the results with you. Please share. I don't know if they can determine a timeline for progression of kidney disease. Everyone is different. I asked my GP how long he thinks I have before I'll need dialysis. No way to tell. He says could be years. Or less. Depending.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-06-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User

Usually if you have nuclear renal scans at 3 month intervals they can tell how bad the kidney disease is progressing. These are by no means a fun test and if you can find one that does a sitting rather then a lying test all the more power to you. Also a tip: use a Poise Pad or sanitary napkin to make you feel less self concious if you "leak a little".

Old 10-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

2plus,

these things are good to know. Filed for future reference. Thank you for the tip. My nephrologist is too nice and won't talk about things like that. That's why I had to ask the GP, who doesn't know much anyway. All I hear from him is how well I am doing. I know things could be worse.

The possibility of leaks really bothered me with my angiograms. My last one took 1 1/2 hours to complete. I had a Foley catheter for that one, as my bladder had to be kept empty. They had to replace the bag during the procedure due to high urine output. (because of all the contrast dye I was given throughout)
    One cannot control the leaks. Everytime the contrast is administered it feels as if one is peeing. After a while, it's impossible to tell what's real and what's imaginary. I think they are used to it.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-06-2007 at 08:21 PM.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
    bogaz
    (male)

bogaz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    They look for any irregularity in the cellular makeup. Also, any existing damage can be seen. Biopsies help with diagnosis of diseases.
    Which type of a biopsy did you have? How did it go? I have a very high blood pressure so will most likely have to have an open biopsy when the need for one arises. I have yet to have mine. It was recently postponed yet again. I think my nephrologist is waiting for my kidney function to worsen. I don't have a diagnosis. I would be interested to know what info you'll be given when they discuss the results with you. Please share. I don't know if they can determine a timeline for progression of kidney disease. Everyone is different. I asked my GP how long he thinks I have before I'll need dialysis. No way to tell. He says could be years. Or less. Depending.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
    bogaz
    (male)

bogaz HB User

I had a needle biopsy{not sure of actual name}I also have high blood pressure.I am taking 6 different meds to keep it low enough for the biopsy.It was 220/120 when I first went to the nephrologist,now it's about 150-160/80-90.I will post a note when I hear the results from the biopsy.Thanks for the replies.
    BOGAZ

Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bogaz,

You gotta bring that blood pressure down. Yours is still too high. I am on five meds for blood pressure and finally have good control after almost a year. I am sure you (as I) were told it needs to be 120/80 or less, otherwise the kidney function worsens.

Closed Thread