It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Is there anything I can do to get my creatinine levels down?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
    bruce1960
    (male)

bruce1960 HB User
    Is there anything I can do to get my creatinine levels down?

I tried to get into a study that would implant a device into my chest to keep my blood pressure low. The medications do not seem to be doing the job. I started out with 148/80 when I first started these meds. and it just keeps going up. Currently I expect it to check anywhere between 178 and 218 over 80. It worries me that my kidneys will be shutting down very soon if the pressure stays so high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: Is there anything I can do to get my creatinine levels down?

You need to be evaluated by an internist to see if you have any secondary causes of hypertension.

The most common cause of high blood pressure in people who are older than 60 is something called essential hypertension. This is "essentially" (pun intended) the result of one's arteries and major resistance vessels the arterioles hardening thereby raising blood pressure; however, if I am to take your username as your birthdate, you are 48 years old and that's pretty young to have blood pressure as high as you're having. Other things need to be ruled out. Things such as:

Renal artery stenosis
    occult kidney disease
    Coarctation of the aorta
    Conn's Syndrome
    Cushing's disease
    Hypercalcemia
    NSAID use
    etc. etc.

Also, I mean no judgement by this, but one of the most common causes for hypertension in young people is cocaine use. Do you use? Subclinical kidney disease can also cause high blood pressure.

I notice the title of your post doesn't totally match what you posted. I take it your creatinine HAS been high in the past? It could be more of a "chicken egg" scenario. Hypertension can definitely cause kidney damage, but additionally, kidney damage can also lead to hypertension. Have you had a complete nephrologic evaluation done?

In terms of creatinine levels: yes, there is an easy way to get your creatinine levels down, don't work out and lie in bed for as long as you can. Once your muscle mass is lost, your creatinine will also go down. The point I'm trying to make is that creatinine levels themselves are only indirectly assoiated with kidney function. Depending on how much muscle you have, you are constantly producing creatinine and spilling it in to your blood and then your urine. One can then measure the creatinine level in the blood to get an estimate of kidney function. If one's creatinine all of a sudden goes up, it suggests the kidneys aren't clearing the creatinine as readily and in turn suggests your kidney function is compromised.

The best thing you can do in order to make sure your kidneys don't get worse, is to have your hypertension evaluated and a secondary cause sought.

Closed Thread