It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• how does a solid mass develop in the kidney?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
    Frank ss
    (male)

Frank ss HB User
    how does a solid mass develop in the kidney?

how does a solid mass develop in the kidney?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: how does a solid mass develop in the kidney?

Well, it depends on what type of solid mass. The most common form of solid mass is a "neoplasm" or a "new growth of cells". Another name for a neoplasm is a tumour, which as most people know can be benign or malignant.

When a solid mass forms in the kidney, it is usually because one or more cells has grown in excess of what it should and forms a nodule. If the growth happens uncontrollably, it invades the tissue around it and it breaks off and goes to distant sites of the body, that is when the growth is considered malignant.

You can have other masses in the kidney which are NOT from cells overmultiplying including: fluid filled cysts (either from cystic renal disease or a cyst filled with urine called a urinoma), large stones (usually which are contained within the draining system of the kidney, metastases (cancer which has migrated from a distant site) and...and...I can't think of anything else.

Closed Thread