It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Dull Ache From Kidney Stone? I'm scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    Post Dull Ache From Kidney Stone? I'm scared

I had a Cat Scan 6 weeks ago after passing some blood and having a little pain in my groin area. They said it was most likely a stone that I passed. Now they see a 2x3 mm stone. They said there's nothing I can do to speed it up. I feel a dull ache in my flank area now and then. I don't know if and when this stone will pass. I changed my diet and drink enough water now to put out 2 liters. But I am so scared when I feel this dull ache, because I think this is the start of the stone passing, which I am terrified of. Or is it just the stone moving around? It's located in my kidney according to the scan. Is there any way to get this over with faster? The dr. says the stone is too small for lithotripsy, as they first break it up into this size. I am so anxious, how can I just go on with my life knowing any minute I may be in severe pain? I have percocet in the house just in case but I picture myself in the hospital just wanting to die, because I am not good with pain. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I am going through mental agony. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2002, 04:08 PM   #2
    Super Sarah

Talking

Hey, I know it is hard not to worry hon, but try not to. It really will pass and if the doc said that it is to small for lithotrypsy, then you will be able to pass it out naturally, really.

I would advise you to drink lots of water. This will flush your kidneys out and hopefully make the passing of the stone easier, but keep the analgesia to hand, you may need it. Have you ever been nauseous with this?

Post back if you want more help.

Old 09-01-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
    igy76
    Inactive

igy76 HB User
    Yes, I second the idea of lots of water. Also try to cut down on the amount of red meat you eat (if you eat it at all). I had my first stone experience last year, and there were 3 in my right kidney at once. They didn't pass for almost 3 months, aided by a lithiotripsy. With how I felt day to day, Vicodin became one of the four major food groups for me. If you have percocet, you should be generally okay. But I won't lie, I had 2 to 3 incidents where even having taken the vicodin, I still had to go to the ER to get a pain shot. The thing I'm wondering about you, you worded having the percocet as if you'd already had it from something else. If whoever is treating you is not a complete heartless moron of a doctor, they should most certainly prescribe you something fresh for the pain. Good luck

Old 09-01-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    Igy, thanks for the reply. He did prescribe the Percocet! He's a really good doctor, sent to me by my urologist or a whole urine metabolic test, to see if it's most likely an oxalate, uric acid, etc. stone. I am on a low oxalate diet as well as uric acid precautions, as that was a bit high. Did the shot help, was it morphine? I think Percocet is stronger than Vicodin, but this whole thing has my head spinning with fear. I even have a tranquilizer just in case, which can be combined. I know that in the scope of things, a kidney stone isn't the worst thing in the world, but painwise, it's supposed to be, and that's what terrifies me.

Old 09-01-2002, 07:06 PM   #5
    igy76
    Inactive

igy76 HB User
    First of all, I know this is easier said than done (although maybe coming from me-someone who's been there-it'll mean more), but there's no point in getting stressed out about this. Because if you're not going to have a lithiotripsy, there's NOTHING YOU CAN DO BUT WAIT. Other than the extreme procedures (lithiotripsy, surgery) there's no treatment for stones, just wait for them to pass and make sure you got plenty o' drugs. I don't remember if they gave me morphine at the ER, but it was something strong. One of my visits, I had already taken five tylenol #3 (w/codeine) in about a 3 hour period, and was still hurting. At that point I didn't want to have to go to the ER mostly because my local one isn't very expedient. I had the message service call my urologist at home so I could talk to him, asking him if it was safe to take anymore of the tylenol #3's. All he really said to me was, sometimes with stones, oral medication just ain't enough. Gee, thanks. And finally, percocet is more powerful than vicodin. In fact, it's a whole other schedule of narcotic (in FDA terms). One of them's II, and the other's III (I forget if the stronger drugs are in upper or lower order ther). The narcotic ingredient in percs is oxycodone, whereas just hydrocodone in vics. Again, try not to worry, and just enjoy the nice little byproduct (the high) of the percs when you need them

Old 09-10-2002, 05:07 PM   #6
    cooki
    (female)

cooki HB User
    Igy is right try not to get to stressed, it makes your body tense and it may be harder for you to pass the stone. Lots of water will keep you hydrated AND will keep the uriter passsages from closing up. I know it hurts like he** but try to keep your chin up and if you need to go to the hospital and get the Meds you need than go with out a doubt! I think when I've had meds in the past it was Demaral(sp), or Morphine. Im quite sure.
    Good luck, and if you need anything please keep posting and we will all be here to comfort you in what ever way we can.
    Take Care
    ~Cooki

[This message has been edited by cooki (edited 09-10-2002).]

Old 09-24-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
    sha1

sha1 HB User
    Angry

I have a k-stone that has been sitting somewhere for about a week. I am having sharp pain in my lower right groin. It hurt like he** when I walk. I am scheduled to go to a urology on tomorrow(9-25-2002). I am hoping that they just have do the surgery and take it out. I haven't been to work since I went to the ER last monday.I do drink plenty of water trying to make it pass. This pain has took and effect on my daily routine. What can I possible do to stop some of the pain when I walk? It is so sharp, like someone is sticking needles in my groin.My doctor told me to walk ,but it hurt so bad.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:10 AM   #8
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    Sha1, you said you have a kidney stone somewhere, but did you have a Cat Scan or any other test that shows this? Please post after your appointment and let me know what they say. My stone is in the kidney itself, and will find out if my groin pain is related, having another x-ray Monday. I also have groin pain when walking, or getting up from bed or a chair. Not all the time, though. Initially, the dr. said it's not from the stone, but if not, I want to know what it is.

Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 AM   #9
    igy76
    Inactive

igy76 HB User
    TERRI - you have a stone in your kidney, have you had pain in that back area but NOT in your groin at all? i've had a 1cm stone in the left one causing some pain for about 2 weeks, but not really any groin pain. i ask because i had stone in my right one last year, and had groin pain for about a week prior to my first ER visit (back then i didnt know what it was), then the pain the back really only became BAD when it went into the ureter. i just didnt think a stone being in the kidney could cause pain, i was surprised to learn it wasnt causing obstruction

Old 09-25-2002, 03:35 PM   #10
    sha1

sha1 HB User
    I went to the Urology today and he found that it was in the lower part of the bladder . It is stuck there and is hard to move causing alot of pain. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow to get it removed. Unless it pass sometimes tonight, I will be going into surgery.When I went to the ER, they did do a Cat Scan but didn't inform me excatly were it was.The doctor today did a procedure to see excatly how far down it was. It hurted like he**, but I wanted him to do what it took to find where it was. I wish you luck on passing it, I hope it comes very soon. I know the pain that you must be in.I told the dr. about the pain in my legs, he said it was possible but it has never be identified as one of the symptoms for k-stones. Good luck!!!!!!
    Quote:
    Originally posted by terri48:
    Sha1, you said you have a kidney stone somewhere, but did you have a Cat Scan or any other test that shows this? Please post after your appointment and let me know what they say. My stone is in the kidney itself, and will find out if my groin pain is related, having another x-ray Monday. I also have groin pain when walking, or getting up from bed or a chair. Not all the time, though. Initially, the dr. said it's not from the stone, but if not, I want to know what it is.

Old 09-25-2002, 07:22 PM   #11
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    IGY- I am not having the back pain anymore. It was slight, could have just been muscular. I still have pain in the groin, pubic hair area, right side. The stone on the cat scan 2 months ago is also on the right. I am going to have a regular x ray on Monday. I wonder if the stone has moved! I wish it would move straight to Mars, lol. Did yours pass? Did you save it and if so what type of stone was it? I am on a low oxalate diet (even though my urine tests showed no oxalate problem) because 80% of stones are oxalate. Maybe the x ray will show if it's a uric acid stone or calcium oxalate. One of them shows up with no contrast...I forget which but will check on google search again. I just want this darn thing out of me so I can travel and not be afraid of not being near a hospital, and live my life as before!

SHA1- good luck and write after you have the surgery, and tell me what they did. What kind of test did you have that hurt? Did they go through the urethra? A cystoscopy? If so, I had one and it hurt worse than anything, thank goodness it was only 5 minutes. My thought are with you, ask questions, write things down, so you can learn what type of stone and alter your diet so this doesn't happen again. It can stil happen, but we can lessen the chances. I drink 12 glasses of water a day like they advised. I look at it as my medicine. Good luck , hugs.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:47 AM   #12
    sha1

sha1 HB User
    Terrie, I did have that cystoscopy done and I must agree with you, I hurted like crazy. I thought he would never finish. The worst part is using the bathroom after it is over. All night I have been afraid to use it because it burn and sting when I do.I don't wish this pain on anyone. I'll write back after the surgery.He said he is going to go through the bladder and try to remove it. It is stuck in the lower part of the bladder. The Dr. said that's why I am having the sharp pains in the groin. It is trying to move through the urethra but cannot. I will keep you posted.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:48 AM   #13
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    Hi Sha1. The doctor gave me Uristat to help the pain when urinating when I had a cystoscopy last year. If you are still having pain, ask him about it, but the pain should be gone by now. I have to have an IVP, just came back from another UKB regular x ray, and they can't see anything well. So the IVP is Monday. When is your surgery scheduled for?

Old 09-27-2002, 03:21 PM   #14
    sha1

sha1 HB User
    I did have the surgery on yesterday (9-26-02). He did not cut me at all. He gave me another cystoscopy and he also use the laser shock to break the stone up. He was able to pull the biggest piece out by doing the cystoscopy and the smaller ones will pass on their on. He had to put a tube in the urethra so that it would be wide enough for the other stones to pass. I was asleep when this was being done. I have to go back in 10 days for him to remove the tube.I am still having a little pain,but that is to be expected right after surgery. I have just taken some pain medicine so I am about to lie down before it really kicks in. talk to you guys later.

Old 09-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #15
    igy76
    Inactive

igy76 HB User
    TERRI48 - One more question/comment for you. I had to go back to the ER last night, I found out my free urology appointment from the low-cost facility won't be for a month. Luckily, the same doctor was on that saw me last month. I think I got to understand a little more about my problem. I remember him saying last time, the stone was in the tissue wall of the kidney, NOT in the ureter so no obstruction. Well what he mentioned last night (a CT 2 weeks ago showed not much change) was that he didn't even think that what I'm experiencing is necessarily that same kind of stone problem I had last year, because the stone isn't in the "collective area" in the kidney, it's in the wall of the kidney itself, so he didn't think it would pass at all. I didn't realize there was a specific area of the kidney where stones form/go to the ureter from. All this being said, as of last night I now have blood in the urine, albeit microscopic. ANYWAY, does this termonology sound familiar to you? Thanks

Closed Thread