It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• creatinine elevated!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2003, 06:20 AM   #1
    kjarels
    (male)

kjarels HB User
    Post creatinine elevated!!

I have had very high blood pressure but have it under control now taking 40mg of Benicar and 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide. It has been as high as 160/115 but now with the meds its perfect. However, the doctor ran a chemistry profile on my last week and my creatinine was slightly elevated. Normal range is .5-1.2 and mine was 1.4. Could the blood pressure meds have caused the slight increase in creatinine levels??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

No. Blood pressure meds will not cause a rise in the creatinnine level, but prolonged high blood pressure itself with out intervention with meds will cause a raised creatinnine level. Basically, it is prolonged high blood pressure without treatment that will eventually cause renal failure, as the kidneys themselves regulate blood pressure in the long term via the renin-angiotensin pathway in the kidneys themselves and the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone pathway for systemic blood pressure.

Hopefully now that you have started the blood pressure meds and you have it under control, your creatinnine level should stabilise or fall back down to normal, but you need to have regular bloods and check ups to monitor this and to monitor your renal function just in case.

Closed Thread