It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Constantly Dehydrated-Kidney Problem?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
    plasticfork
    (female)

plasticfork HB User
    Post Constantly Dehydrated-Kidney Problem?

My grandmother was put in the hospital yesterday after she was complaining of nausea and vomiting. She has visited the hospital quite a few times in the past month or two for the same problem, and each time she found out she was dehydrated. She doesn't know why she's constantly dehydrated, she drinks lots of water and Gatorade (per dector's request) all the time. She found out today that one of her kidneys is smaller than the other, but the doctors said that this was due to the dehydration again. They do not know why she continues to be dehydrated, and neither do the rest of us. She's 79 years old, and in fairly good condition otherwise. They're keeping her admitted because she can't digest solid foods right now, and they won't release her until she can. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 12:28 PM   #2
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    hey plasticfork!

There are a couple of reasons as to why she's chronically dehydrated...the most important most likely being that any medications she's on might be causing her to pee out too much water (is she on a diuretic?) OR the fact that she's 79 years old and her kidneys just aren't as effective as they were before.

I'm very glad that she's drinking water AND gatorade--it's important, to avoid dehydration, to not just drink free water...you need salt for your body to be able to retain it (otherwise you just pee it out)

You mentioned that she's vomiting a lot eh? Well, vomiting is a huge cause of loss of fluid, and also, since there is salt in the food that we eat, which helps us to retain the water we absorb, you can see the double whammy in terms of why she's losing water.

I think the vomiting and her being 79 are the two biggest factors as to why she's dehydrated...now, the reason for her nausea and vomiting? Well, they're going to have to investigate and and find out.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
    plasticfork
    (female)

plasticfork HB User
    Thanks for your reply. The hospital released her yesterday, they still haven't figured out what was wrong, but everything seemed to be normal and so she was sent home. This morning however, she felt nauseated again, like she was going to faint. Then her heart started racing so my Aunt called 911 and she was put back in the hospital. They still don't know what's wrong. I'm a bit angry that they released her yesterday saying she was in good health only to be admitted again today. I just wish they would find out what's wrong...

Closed Thread