It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Scarred smaller right kidney leading to hypertension

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #1
    rajib

rajib HB User
    Post Scarred smaller right kidney leading to hypertension

Hi, i m 26 yrs old, recently I have been suffering from severe hypertension. After undergoing some tests, i have been diagonised as having a scarred and smaller right kidney. (I have a history of UTI when i was 14)The functioning is subnormal and nonobstructed (ratio betwn left and right kidney 67% to 33%). The left kidney is perfectly normal in size and function. I sometimes feel a slight pain on the right side of my back.
    Is my disease curable? If not will it deteriote further? can i lead a normal life?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
    BlueSkyes

BlueSkyes HB User
    Rajib, I was diagnosed 7 years ago with malignant hypertension (one step up from severe) and recently was diagnosed with renal insufficiency as a result of my hard to control hbp. I was told both kidneys were "small and scared". You do not regain kidney function once it is lost, but the most important thing you can do to prevent further deterioration is keep your blood pressure optimally controlled. Also, lowering protein intake is another way to save kidney function since processing protein makes the kidneys work much harder (ask your nephrologist exactly how much protein you should be eating each day). I eat 30 grams or less or protein each day, per my doctors recommendation. The good news is that the body can function normally with just one good kidney, so again, keeping your blood pressure controlled is key in preventing further loss of kidney function.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #3
    rajib

rajib HB User
    Dear BlueSkyes

Thanks a lot for your reply, i will consult my doctor about that protein intake.

Regards

Old 08-18-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    I have a question for those of you who only have one good kidney...do you still spill protein in your urine from the bad kidney? I ask this because I have protein in my urine, but my blood tests for BUN and creatnine levels are great...although the protein in the urine is very high. So I wondered if it might be that I have one bad kidney that spills the protein, but the good kidney keeps my BUN/Creatnine levels good. Any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #5
    BlueIsland

BlueIsland HB User

Did you guys have any other signs other than hypertension? I am 32 & was diagnosed with hypertension after my b/p soared at the doc. On B/P meds. it averages 124/74, but when anxiety kicks in it can elevate from time to time. No kidney pain, no other symptoms other than anxiety.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
    BlueSkyes

BlueSkyes HB User
    Bloodwork is probably the most obvious way to detect poor kidney function in the beginning stages, which is ideally when you want to catch it. Because of my history of hard-to-control hypertension, whenever I had bloodwork done, I would specifically ask about the indicators for kidney function (protein, BUN, creatinine). About two years ago, I had a routine physical and my BUN was within normal range, but my protein was elevated. My doctor didn't find this alarming since kidney issues usually affect the BUN, but I insisted on an ultrasound anyway. Sure enough, both kidneys were "small and scared" as the nephrologist put it. I have no pain and no ill effects because I'm in the very beginning stages of kidney disease (my exact diagnosis was "renal insufficiency"). I now check all of my bloodwork results personally because this is the only way I know for sure what's going on with my remaining kidney function. People with kidney disease do not present with symptoms until kidney function has deteriorated signicantly; there are rarely symptoms in the beginning stages.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
    rajib

rajib HB User
    my blood tests for BUN and creatnine levels are perfectly normal, but some traces of protein was found.
    Suprisingly, my doc has prescribed medications for lowering my BP only and nothing for my 'small and scarred' right kidney. According to my doc, my kidney functions are normal. (although the ratio of work o/p between the left and right kidney is 67% to 33 %).

Old 08-19-2003, 06:42 AM   #8
    BlueIsland

BlueIsland HB User
    BlueSkyes,

What is the treatment ususally for the beginning stages. Did you feel anxiety & such at any point, or was it more just from routine blood tests. I'm concerned, because 32 & on b/p meds that really lower it, but have to go in for tests soon for BUN, Creatine, Protein+ & I'm worries. I have no other symptoms, other than anxiety. I was under the impression that it takes many years before HBP can cause Kidney Failure for the most part.

Once I started taking the meds, my b/p has been really under control averaging 124/74. Would that lead you to believe that it might not be kidney related if the meds. are working so well.

[This message has been edited by BlueIsland (edited 08-19-2003).]

Old 08-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
    rajib

rajib HB User
    dear blueisland

when u develop high B.P at a young age, it can be either due to two reasons - essential hypertension and secondary hypertension.
    Essential hypertension may run in the familiy while secondary hypertension may occur due to some other disease (mainly kidney related is suspected)
    I m also only 26 yrs old, and so my doc advised me to go for ECG, some blood tests, ultrasound of the kidney area, BUN and protein in urine tests.
    Also i went for renal scan for the kidneys.

In ur case it may or may not be due to kidneys, but u better carry out the tests.

Old 08-20-2003, 07:36 AM   #10
    BlueIsland

BlueIsland HB User
    Rajib,

My B/P the last 6 times has been in the 116-128 over 70-78 range. At the doc. my B/P soars. I'll take the tests... What is your b/p when you went to the doc. & what is it now. Are the meds. working?

Old 08-20-2003, 09:30 PM   #11
    rajib

rajib HB User
    Dear blueisland

When I first felt the symptoms of hppertension and went to the doc, it was about 190/140 which is very high compared to the normal 120/80.

But after starting B.P medicine, for the last couple of weeks it has come down to normal about 138/84 in the first week and then 132/80 last week.

So my B.P medicines seems to be working fine . Only thing that worries me is that the cause of my hypertension i.e my kidneys. Cause kidney damage cant be cured, only maintained. I m also thinking whether i have to keeo on taking B.P medicines for the rest of my life ?? I m only 26 :-(

Old 08-21-2003, 07:02 AM   #12
    BlueIsland

BlueIsland HB User
    Rajib,

It's better to know the cause & take the b/p meds. for the rest of your life than to have to deal with other problems down the line. My measurement when I first went was around 190/90, but I was also suffering a panic attack induced by 4 days of drinking too heavily. Keep taking the meds. Your #'s look great.

What symptoms are you talking about. Hypertension doesn't have symptoms most of the time. I could tell that my b/p was elevated. because my heart was racing & I felt dizzy+. It was more panic-attack related. It usually takes years before kidney function is affected & if you have one kidney that is functioning at 67%, keep taking the meds. It beats going on dialysis at such a young age. I understand. I'm only 32.

[This message has been edited by BlueIsland (edited 08-21-2003).]

Old 09-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #13
    rajib

rajib HB User
    Hi blueSkyes

About ur 'small and scarred' kidneys, how is their functioning now? Has the doc given any medications for ur kidneys or only b/p medicine?

As for me, i have been given medications only for controlling my high b/p and nothing for my kidneys. I m worried if my bad kidney will deterioate further?

Old 09-05-2003, 02:50 AM   #14
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Rajib,

You really need to stop getting so anxious about this, so just let me explain a few things to you about your kidneys.

Firstly, you said that you had 'one kidney that was small and scarred' and that only had 33% function? You also said that you had one other kidney that was completely normal? Well, if I read it correctly, then if you have one normal kidney that is functioning normally, then you would be classed as having normal renal function.

Basically, you have two kidneys and if you lose one, or one becomes damaged for any reason at all, then your other kidney will enlarge somewhat and will take over the work of the other kidney. You can lead a perfectly normal life on just one kidney with no restrictons whatsoever. Lots of people live perfectly happily with no problems on just one kidney. Those who give live related kidney transplants have to do this and you can do with no lasting problems. It is probably unwise to take up contact sports though, to ensure that you do not damage yourself by trauma, or you could be in trouble then.

Also, to put your mind at rest too, by giving you medication to treat your high blood pressure, your doctor is treating your kidneys too. It is just that most blood pressure meds also have an effect on the kidneys because the kidneys are responsible for regulating blood pressure in the long term.

In the short-term, blood pressure is regulated mostly by the nervous system and the heart, but the long-term control is maintained by the kidneys, so by giving blood pressure meds, you are also affecting the kidneys.

Basically, if your other kidney is small and scarred, there is no point in trying to treat that at all, because your body is being maintained perfectly adequately by your other normal kidney that is functioning well. Rather than trying to repair something that may be irreparably damaged, you need to focus on keeping the function of the other one going very well.

High blood pressure can be hereditary yes, but also elevated blood pressure can be caused by diabetes, being overweight, drinking excess alcohol, smoking, lack of exercise and poor diet generally.

As long-term blood pressure is controlled by the kidneys, then elevated blood pressure for long periods, if left untreated, can result in renal failure.

However, if high blood pressure is detected and treated, then there is no reason at all why you should have further renal problems at all. As long as you take your blood pressure meds, keep drinking plenty of fluids, take enough regular exercise and eat a sensible diet, then you can lead a perfectly normal life with just one well functioning kidney.

Hope this helps to put things into perspective for you a little?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:47 PM   #15
    rajib

rajib HB User
    hello sarah68

Thanks so much for your reply. It was really comforting and proved to be an eye opener for me.

Thanks once again.
    with regards
    Rajib

Closed Thread