It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Megacalycosis / Hydrocalycosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
    bobbedazzler
    (female)

bobbedazzler HB User
    Megacalycosis / Hydrocalycosis

Hi all

I have been diagnosed with the above and wondered if anyone has had any experience of it?

The basics are:

Megacalycosis findings: is an uncommon, congenital renal abnormality, characterized by nonobstructive dilatation of the renal calyces with normal renal pelvis, ureter and dilatation bladder.

Megacalycosis itself does not impair the renal function but it can be the cause of urinary pyramids, tract infections and calculus formation.

This congenital defect is incidentally found by urography during the examination for urolithiasis or urinary like tract infections or calculus formation.

In case of megacalycosis surgical treatment is unnecessary. Patients with this condition should be followed-up with the ultrasound and prevention of urinary tract infections or urolithiasis.

So basically as well as wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of it, I'd also like to know what I can do to help prevent the formation of kidney stones as my consultant has said that this predisposes me to them, and kidney infections.

Thanks

Jo x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread