It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Husband Has Renal Cell Carcinoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Husband Has Renal Cell Carcinoma

My husband, 68, has had type 2 diabetes for 10 years, ate almost anything he wanted while taking Actos, drank 6 Diet Cokes per day and now has 50% kidney function. All the doctors want to remove the worst kidney w/the tumor the size of a golf ball. Should he have ablation? (freezing it) or just cut off? Now he has high b/pressure and his A1C is 9.
    Reason he went in was he couldn't stay awake and had constant nausea. They did a CAT scan and found the tumor 4 days ago. He has eaten 16lb of oranges since then.
    His glucose is over 300. It was 95 for years before this happened w/low blood pressure.
    The nausea is gone, they upped his Actos from 30mg to 45mg. I cannot imagine him wanting to live if he had to have dialysis.
    Sorry this was so long. He just cannot make any decisions about what kind of surgery to have and when. The dr said it has been growing for eight to ten years. SG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: Husband Has Renal Cell Carcinoma

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SusanGene View Post
    My husband, 68, has had type 2 diabetes for 10 years, ate almost anything he wanted while taking Actos, drank 6 Diet Cokes per day and now has 50% kidney function. All the doctors want to remove the worst kidney w/the tumor the size of a golf ball. Should he have ablation? (freezing it) or just cut off? Now he has high b/pressure and his A1C is 9.
    Reason he went in was he couldn't stay awake and had constant nausea. They did a CAT scan and found the tumor 4 days ago. He has eaten 16lb of oranges since then.
    His glucose is over 300. It was 95 for years before this happened w/low blood pressure.
    The nausea is gone, they upped his Actos from 30mg to 45mg. I cannot imagine him wanting to live if he had to have dialysis.
    Sorry this was so long. He just cannot make any decisions about what kind of surgery to have and when. The dr said it has been growing for eight to ten years. SG
    Sorry, but I can't say anything about the type of surgery as I have no experience with it. What I can talk to you about is the diabetes and the kidney issues. First off, at 50% function he is a very long way away from dialysis. I didn't go on until I was at about 10 % and that took close to 20 years from the time I was at 50%. What he does need to do is watch his blood sugars. The higher they are, the worse is going to be the kidney damage, and the faster the deterioration will be.

I was on dialysis for a year and while I was deathly afraid beforehand, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did have a transplant, and if your husband is in otherwise good shape and remains cancer free, there is a possibility he could go that route eventually too.

As I said, dialysis is not as bad as you think it's going to be, but he needs to take care of himself in the meantime.

Best of luck to you both.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

can't express how encouraging your answer was. The dr's want to remove the kidney after New Year's. even they don't think there's a rush (except for one ER doctor).
    Did you have cancer in a kidney? SG

Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

No, I had diabetes for about 35 years before my kidneys failed. I was on dialysis for a year before my cousin gave me a kidney. That was 7 years ago. Almost 2 years ago I had a pancreas transplant so I don't have diabetes any more either.

Best of luck to you both. From what I know of cancer (some family members have had breast and colon cancer) if it is slow growing, then there is time to take it out.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

SUSANGENE :

Hi. My husband, who is also a type 2 diabetic, had a grade 1 tumor on his left kidney. It was discovered in 2003. His left kidney was removed that year as well. Luckily the tumor had not spread so no chemo or radiation was required. However, his remaining kidney is not working 100% which is apparently due to the diabetes, although he has always been very careful about following the diabetes diet. He also has high blood pressure, which is under good control with medication. Therefore he now has to be on a renal diet too which is not fun. But at 50%, your husband most probably won't need that yet.

I would suggest that after the surgery has taken place, that your husband see a good nephrologist. He should also start taking his diabetic condition a lot more seriously, go to a diabetes nutritionist, and REALLY start to get his diabetes under better control. Because his kidney function is at 50%, he should also discuss with his doc about which (and how much) diabetic meds can be taken, as these meds can impair kidney function too. Does he check his blood sugar at home on a daily basis? Try and get him to reduce his sodium intake, too.

Will his kidney be removed via a laproscope? This is the small incision and the recovery time is much shorter.

And Cora is correct re the dialysis. At 50% he would still have plenty of time ahead of him before that would happen. However, it's V important that he keep his blood glucose and blood pressure under good control, as these conditions can greatly impair kidney function.

Wishing you both the very best, and keep us posted.

Monte

Last edited by montesflus; 12-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by montesflus View Post
    SUSANGENE :

Hi. My husband, who is also a type 2 diabetic, had a grade 1 tumor on his left kidney. It was discovered in 2003. His left kidney was removed that year as well. Luckily the tumor had not spread so no chemo or radiation was required.

i KEEP READING THAT CHEMO AND RADS ARE NOT USEFUL WITH KIDNEY CANCER.

However, his remaining kidney is not working 100% which is apparently due to the diabetes, although he has always been very careful about following the diabetes diet. He also has high blood pressure, which is under good control with medication. Therefore he now has to be on a renal diet too which is not fun. But at 50%, your husband most probably won't need that yet.

I'VE HEARD OF THE RENAL DIET, HE WAS DIFFICULT TO COOK FOR WITH A NORMAL ONE.
    AND I'M NOT POSITIVE ABOUT THE 50% FUNCTION OF THE OTHER KIDNEY.

I would suggest that after the surgery has taken place, that your husband see a good nephrologist. He should also start taking his diabetic condition a lot more seriously, go to a diabetes nutritionist, and REALLY start to get his diabetes under better control. Because his kidney function is at 50%, he should also discuss with his doc about which (and how much) diabetic meds can be taken, as these meds can impair kidney function too. Does he check his blood sugar at home on a daily basis? Try and get him to reduce his sodium intake, too.

HE TAKES HIS BLOOD SUGAR LESS THAN ONCE A MONTH. IT WAS ALWAYS SO LOW BEFORE THIS HAPPENED HE LOST INTEREST. IT WAS SUGGESTED HE GO BACK TO THE NUTRITIONIST AND NOW I'M PRETTY SURE HE WILL. THEY ADJUSTED HIS DIABETES MEDS A FEW DAYS AGO.

Will his kidney be removed via a laproscope? This is the small incision and the recovery time is much shorter.

I HAVE NO IDEA. BUT I'LL ASK. THANK YOU. HE IS SO OBESE IT WOULD PROBABLY BE TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR THEM TO DO IT THAT WAY.

And Cora is correct re the dialysis. At 50% he would still have plenty of time ahead of him before that would happen. However, it's V important that he keep his blood glucose and blood pressure under good control, as these conditions can greatly impair kidney function.

Wishing you both the very best, and keep us posted.

THANK YOU MONTE. MY APPROACH IS TO EXPECT THE WORST SO I WON'T GET MORE DEPRESSED AND WORRIED WHILE HE LIKES TO BE MORE OPTIMISTIC WHICH I THINK WILL MAKE HIM CRASH MORE. SUSAN

Monte

Closed Thread