It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Weird Symptoms...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User
    Weird Symptoms...

Hey all,

I have a "medical mystery". My docs can't figure it out and I thought I might ask here...

I've gained 22lbs in the past three weeks or so. Lots of edema in my legs and feet, shortness of breath (no cough or stuff in lungs), severe fatigue, problems thinking clearly, urinating 3-4 times per night, and BUN and Creatinine at the top of the ranges. (Plus a bunch of other things I can't think of right now.)

CHF has been ruled out. My GP and other docs have no idea. My BP has skyrocketed (from 90/60 to 140/75) but still my docs don't seem to be concerned (all of the nurses seem to be concerned by the signs and symptoms).

I know my labs are in range (albeit at the top) but what about the symptoms? (I did have a trace amount of protein in my urine on a quick UA. I did a 24hr collection Friday, so I should have the results Monday.) All of this was very, very sudden with no medication/diet/exercise changes at all. Has anyone seen this? I'm getting very frustrated and want to get to the bottom of this, for my health's sake.

Any thoughts? Things to look for or ask about?

Thanks,

Daniel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
    Re: Weird Symptoms...

Did they check your sugar also?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    Did they check your sugar also?
    Yep, 94. A little high, but still well within range.

The other thing I forgot was that I can't hardly eat or drink. Just don't want to. Also, protein sounds so absolutely disgusting to me right now. I don't want to eat it and when I do, I just lose my appetite. (Keep in mind I'm a 36 yo man.) I've also had a history of VERY large weight loss at the beginning of this year (~30#) and have gained it back plus another 10# without doing anything differently. Again, no explanation.

Daniel

Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel93 View Post
    Yep, 94. A little high, but still well within range.

The other thing I forgot was that I can't hardly eat or drink.

Water and fluids are very important for kidney function what happens when you do? Do you have any vomiting?, Do you use alcohol? how are your B.M.s Is your urine output about 30 ml an hour?

Just don't want to. Also, protein sounds so absolutely disgusting to me right now. I don't want to eat it and when I do, I just lose my appetite.

pineapple is said to be good for the stomach. They say to increase seasonings aromatic herbs, but not to use hot fiery spices such as black pepper olives are said to be good for appetite, horseradish, garlic, pollen, sloeberry, rhubarb, and lemon. Papaya is said to be good for digestive enzymes. Cauliflower, barley, and zucchini are said to be good for the digestive system. They say you should stay away from vinegar products such as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles. I had holes in the bottom of a steel metal bowl after I left bread and butter pickles there about 4 weeks when my husband was slowly using them. Imagine what happens to peoples' stomachs with that if it eats through a bowl!. There are nice substitutes for all of these.

(Keep in mind I'm a 36 yo man.) I've also had a history of VERY large weight loss at the beginning of this year (~30#) and have gained it back plus another 10# without doing anything differently.

How much do you weigh now and how tall are you? Have you had any liver tests?

Again, no explanation.

Daniel

Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

By the way, I'm an RN. So, I read a lot and understand enough to be dangerous...

I do try and drink plenty. I put out ~2300cc in 24hrs Friday. I've had a lot of problems lately with my urine ALWAYS being deep yellow in spite of how much I drink.

No vomiting. I will try and not vomit at any cost. I hate it.

Zero alcohol.

I'm off and on constipated and bad. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It changes every few weeks. It will go to a bout of constipation to being able to go every day, no problem. It's really odd. No changes that would precipitate a change in my bowel habits.

I'm 6'0 and weigh around 170# now. It's the absolute heaviest I've ever been in my life. In late Feb '10, I was 135#, the lightest I've been since I was 12 or so. My normal is 148-150#. I've been there since 1991.

Liver labs are all "normal".

I used to eat very healthily. Veggies, fruits and unprocessed meats. Now, I need to get my calories in dense foods because the volume I can eat is diminished.

I have had a colonoscopy and a scope with no abnormal results. I just had a CT of the abdomen on Friday, so the results should be here tomorrow. I doubt it will show anything outside of a bifurcated right renal artery (I have two vs the normal one). I had one last year after I complained and nothing showed. This is getting old...

Daniel

Last edited by Daniel93; 10-17-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    By the way, I'm an RN. So, I read a lot and understand enough to be dangerous...

I do try and drink plenty. I put out ~2300cc in 24hrs Friday. I've had a lot of problems lately with my urine ALWAYS being deep yellow in spite of how much I drink.

No vomiting. I will try and not vomit at any cost. I hate it.

Zero alcohol.

I'm off and on constipated and bad. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It changes every few weeks. It will go to a bout of constipation to being able to go every day, no problem. It's really odd. No changes that would precipitate a change in my bowel habits.

Do you do anything about it? If so what?

I'm 6'0 and weigh around 170# now. It's the absolute heaviest I've ever been in my life. In late Feb '10, I was 135#, the lightest I've been since I was 12 or so. My normal is 148-150#. I've been there since 1991.

Liver labs are all "normal".

I used to eat very healthily. Veggies, fruits and unprocessed meats. Now, I need to get my calories in dense foods because the volume I can eat is diminished.

I know you put your message in the kidney disorder board, don't they usually tell you to limit protein and therefore meat? Do symptoms get worse with it and what about beans and grains can you use those?

I have had a colonoscopy and a scope with no abnormal results. I just had a CT of the abdomen on Friday, so the results should be here tomorrow.

Yeah tommorows coming I wish you the best have you ever had a 24 hour urine done before this last test and if so what did it show?

I doubt it will show anything outside of a bifurcated right renal artery (I have two vs the normal one).
    When you were in nursing school did they ever teach you anything about this and the implications it could have on kidney health?

I had one last year after I complained and nothing showed. This is getting old...

Daniel

Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

I take laxatives after a day has gone by and no BM. Nothing regularly.

I posted here because *I think* it may be ARF or something of the sort. Docs have no clue.

Should be no problems from the BRA, as it would *theoretically* give more blood flow to it. This leads me to what I think this may be: hypoperfusion. My blood pressure is very low normally (90/60) but has spiked recently to 140/75. I also have a genetic condition that makes my arteries, veins and heart "floppy", such that it can't pump as hard or hold pressure. (NOTE: This disorder is very new and docs don't know much about it and its implications. I have to educate most of them.)

I have noticed absolutely *no* correlation between what I eat and an increase in symptoms. I've eaten potato chips and very salty dip with actually a little diuresis vs eating a pizza and having *a lot* of edema afterward. (Both should have produced the same result.)

I'm just odd... I'm not hopeful for tomorrow. We'll see.

Daniel

Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I take laxatives after a day has gone by and no BM. Nothing regularly.

I posted here because *I think* it may be ARF or something of the sort. Docs have no clue.

Should be no problems from the BRA, as it would *theoretically* give more blood flow to it. This leads me to what I think this may be: hypoperfusion

Hmmm "a house divided against inself cannot stand" can it? Perhaps I would agree with this idea. Because of that, if it were mine, I would be monitoring both water intake and blood pressure at least every day.

If I had a pipe and it started with one pipe but further down it divided into two pipes, at the end where there are 2 pipes in my opinion there would be less total water pressure at the end of either of the two pipes. I suspect that at the place where it divides the water would cause a place of more pressure per square inch there at the exact division instead of the end location of the water, right? I hope you understand what I am trying to say here.

. My blood pressure is very low normally (90/60) but has spiked recently to 140/75. I also have a genetic condition that makes my arteries, veins and heart "floppy",

I read somewhere that exercise can strenthen the muscles of the heart.

such that it can't pump as hard or hold pressure. (NOTE: This disorder is very new and docs don't know much about it and its implications. I have to educate most of them.)

I have noticed absolutely *no* correlation between what I eat and an increase in symptoms. I've eaten potato chips and very salty dip with actually a little diuresis vs eating a pizza and having *a lot* of edema afterward.

I make my own pizza at home so chemicals are not added and I read somewhere that "we do not think that fried potatoes are healthful" In the past I have cut potatoes in thin strips sprinkled a seasoning on them and baked them. Maybe you could ask your partner for help with that if you have one.

(Both should have produced the same result.)

Daniel

Last edited by sjb; 10-18-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: I added a question

Old 10-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

You make a great point about the total pressure being lower. I didn't think of it that way, especially in light of my lower BP. Thanks for the insight.

I used to bodybuild and do all sorts of cardio (can't now for multiple reasons) and my BP was still 90/60 with a heart rate in the low 50s.

Our pizza is home made (much less "crap" in it and better!) but the chips were out of a bag (at the in-law's house, don't ya know... )

Daniel

Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    You make a great point about the total pressure being lower. I didn't think of it that way, especially in light of my lower BP. Thanks for the insight. Hi you are welcome!

I used to bodybuild and do all sorts of cardio (can't now for multiple reasons) and my BP was still 90/60 with a heart rate in the low 50s.

They say brisk walking is the best exercise and if you think about it it would be gentler and easier I think on weak heart muscles than weight lifting. I suspect if the heart is not prepared for the pressures involved it would not be good to lift weights. I suspect the pressures in the abdomen would be increased highly and could push blood to the heart and its valves in a strange manner that I don't think the body was truly made for, especially when the person lays down to do it. I admit some people seem to get away with it in their youth. I wonder what happens with the majority later as they become old?

Our pizza is home made (much less "crap" in it and better!) but the chips were out of a bag (at the in-law's house, don't ya know... )

Daniel

Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:

If the digestive health can be improved with certain foods perhaps you can absorb more and then subsequently improve the health of the rest of you.

Daniel

Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

Unfortunately, not gonna happen. My genetic disorder causes problems with absorption. It's odd and no one knows exactly why. As I said, I've dropped 30lbs without trying and not changing anything in my diet. Weird.

About weight lifting, either way (aerobic or anaerobic exercise) will increase your heart's ability to pump more efficiently. It's just working the heart muscle like you'd work any other muscle. Same biology applies. Weight bearing exercise just hurts your joints more than non-weight bearing. Now, the constant breaking down of muscle fibers (and the subsequent release of cellular contents into the bloodstream and body) could conceivably hurt the kidneys...who knows. But, that was a long time ago (10+ years).

Daniel

Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Are you going to use any of the listed foods that are supposed to be good for appetite and digestion?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

In my opinion I don't think a heart valve can gain much muscular thickness. I suspect that a heart patient of any kind should not lift any weights, according to the net this is true. I also think perhaps those who lift weights now may damage their valves for later so perhaps the youth should be educated for this.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

No, valves won't gain thickness, this is the wall of the heart, the actual muscle. Valves genearlly aren't damaged from exercise. They're damaged from things like endocarditis and things you're born with.

FYI, the CT came back 'normal'. Shocking. This means I'm perfectly OK (in the eyes of the docs)! Yay! (Complete sarcasm, if you can't tell...)

Now what...hmmm.

Daniel

Closed Thread