It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• What IS this?! Docs are no help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
    PinkyPie16
    (female)

PinkyPie16 HB User
    Unhappy What IS this?! Docs are no help

I need someone to tell me I'm not going crazy and maybe tell me what TYPE of illness this could be! I'll try to make this as short as possible:

Before my story and possibly unrelated in 2011 I had bells palsy which went away with treatment...

About two months ago I had an itchy burning rash that started on the tip of my index finger. I thought nothing of it at first but a day after it started it was burning really bad and spread with pain to my hand. It went away the next day but then the scary stuff started. My muscles started twitching all over my body...and there was a ton of cramping and pain with it. I was still not worried until the day I was out to lunch with my mom and my left arm felt extremely weak when I reached for something...it was VERY scary and stayed with me through the day!! I'd also get some itching and burning in different parts of my hands through this. The next night when I got up to use the restroom my legs felt like jello...like they were going to go from under me. I panicked and the next morning went to the ER. The ER doc checked me for diabetes and asked if I had ever had anxiety...which I have but had NOTHING to do with what was happening. He sent me home.

I started getting tremors and severe tingling in my hands especially. At one point it was so bad and my muscles were SO STIFF I couldn't text my husband. I finally went to another doctor who checked me for Lupus and said it could be fibro. Test result was negative so he said I have no true weakness just tremors because of anxiety and game me like 25 xanax pills. I want to say the xanax helped but that day even before I started taking the pills I felt better...the xanax lasted a couple of weeks and I felt good. Everything was okay for another 2 to three weeks after I stopped taking it.

Suddenly last week I felt tremors, weakness, burning sensations, really bad short term memory, nausea, seeing spots or snow, and a loud gurgling sound coming from the base of my skull when I'm trying to sleep at night which seem to match my shaky head. The tremors are so bad that even my head is shaking now when I move it up and down. This time my symptoms are worse. I'm constantly in a fog and tired. I have a burning feeling at the back of my neck as I'm typing. I know this is not anxiety. Someone please tell me what these symptoms SOUND like they could be?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
    PinkyPie16
    (female)

PinkyPie16 HB User
    Re: What IS this?! Docs are no help

forgot to add the second doc also checked my thyroid and it was fine.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
    anwis67
    (female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User

Have you been to see a neurologist? If not, I would make an appointment. I hate to tell you to not mention the anxiety to a Dr. but honestly I think that you would get a better evaluation if you didn't. But after the ER Dr.'s response to neurological symptoms, I would. Doctors are looking for the easy diagnosis b/c it takes less of their time. That is why so many people are diagnosed with Fibro. I have been in your shoes. It took me two years and 6 doctors later to get a dianosis and at times I felt like I was losing it. They want to heal and if they don't then it hurts their egos. Don't give up, something is definitely going on. Were you checked for heavy metals like lead and arsenic?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
    PinkyPie16
    (female)

PinkyPie16 HB User

I know. I shouldn't mention the old anxiety feelings to the new doc I'm seeing tomorrow. He's a highly recommended neurologist. I haven't even thought about lead or arsenic. Forgive my ignorance but how does one get something like that in their system?

Right now I am so afraid of it being a brain tumor.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
    anwis67
    (female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User

I just re-read your first post. I have small fiber neuropathy and experience a lot of the same symptoms you mentioned. A few weeks ago I decided I would work in my flower beds. I started having the burning in my feet so I knew it was time to stop. I took a shower and went to bed. I started having muscle spasms throughout my body. Spasms, Twitches, Burning Pain are all of the things I go through. You can get Arsenic and Lead from the environment or your job environment.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
    PinkyPie16
    (female)

PinkyPie16 HB User

Well I went to the neurologist who did some basic movement tests and looked at my writing. He said it's mostly in my head of course. He did order an MRI just to be safe. I guess I should pretend like I don't wake up with stiff joints, muscle spasms and nausea nor go to bed with a burning behind my neck like last night. I'm going to ignore my own symptoms because I miss feeling okay and I don't want to be this sick person anymore....

He did notice my tremors and said I'm "tremulous" but that it's ok.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
    PinkyPie16
    (female)

PinkyPie16 HB User
    Lightbulb They finally figured it out!

So I am compelled to post for two reasons:

a) I'm amazed at how many nurses and doctors in the medical community LOVE to just say "it's stress or anxiety". Seems as though unless there was a nail in my forehead with blood dripping down and my eyes were crossed they would call it "anxiety".

b) We seem to forget to look at our bodies as a WHOLE...if you would've told me my diagnosis from all my symptoms had nothing to do with my brain or some autoimmune disorder I would not have believed you for a second.

To make it short I had a boatload of symptoms including tremors, muscle spasms, cramps and debilitating joint pain. I would wake up in a sweat at 5 am every morning then throw up by 8 am. I had chills and no fever. Last night I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the ER from this DEBILITATING pain that started in my right leg and spread quickly to my lower back. The guy checking me in looked at me while I was shaking and said "You know I think it's all in your head". WOW!!! The fact that you can just say that to someone who is checking into the ER is amazing. How rude, how wrong!!

Luckily I got the best doctor of all...she LISTENED TO ME!!!! Because that guy and all other docs had scared me into thinking NOBODY believes me...I took a video on my phone of the crazy muscle spasms I was having to show the doctor (the fact that I had to resort to this is ridiculous) Anyway, the doctor took a good look at me, my video and what I explained. She ordered a CT scan but also took a look at my urine and checked my kidneys...I would've NEVER believed it but ALL my symptoms are from a severe kidney infection that had spread from bladder to kidney and the tissues around were even swollen. My CT came out clean and she pretty much told me this type of pressure on the kidneys can cause ALL my symptoms!

Lesson being the body is connected and even if it SEEMS like one thing is wrong it really could be something else.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinkyPie16 For This Useful Post:
    rk22 (04-22-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    fibromyalgia, kidney infection, lupus, lyme disease, multiple sclerosis, neurological symptoms